Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Backlot tours closure?

Hey everyone,

ive been looking around various places on the internet looking at the supposed closure of the backlot tour and have seen various rumors hanging around for the expansion of pixar place causing this ride to close.
    But where have these rumors come from, because their must have been something from disney leading people to believe this to be true right?
    thanks in advance.

• We'll hold them at bay

Re: Backlot tours closure?

The rumor is not true at this point. The Backlot is going down for standard maintenance. However, the rumors persist because the Backlot Tour is a remnant of the old studios which was a working studio and that is no longer the case. The Backlot Tour has been shortened on several occasions to make room for other things like Lights Motors Action. Many believe its only a matter of time before the Tour is gone for good
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Not a Crook

The Backlot Tour in its current state would be no great loss if it was closed, which is most likely why these rumors are circulating. Originally it was a rather long tour that included many interesting areas of the studio. The only remnant of that part of the tour is the ride through costuming and the "boneyard," which is now just 10 or so vehicles scattered around to give something to look at while the tram is maneuvering. In fact, more of the tour right now is spent trying to get the tram around turns and into catastrophe canyon than actually seeing any sights.

It is pretty obviously an afterthought any more. The pre-show water tank demonstration itself is still based on a much hated, 9 year old movie and in badly need of updating.

I think the only thing that has kept the tour alive is Catastrophe Canyon. I wouldn't be surprised if that is eventually turned into its own attraction and the tour itself disappears.

Ah okay, thankyou for clearing that up for me ,
    i really would like to see a new attraction in its place, but if they updated it im sure it could be a great attraction, i mean ive been there 6 years in a row and it hasnt changed atall which is making it boring for me :/.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Yeah, this used to be one of my favorite attractions. Even after it was crazy shortened I still liked it. But now that there isn't a CM doing the spiel anymore (just sitting there) it's gotten really lame. I have little desire to ride it again.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Disneyholic

I still like it myself, but it's one of those tours where the energy, enthusiasm and knowledge of the Cast Member doing the narration makes all the difference. Similar to the Jungle Cruise in the MK or the Jaws boat ride at Universal. It can be a really great experience or just so-so to downright borning depending on the CM.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Mouseketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    I still like it myself, but it's one of those tours where the energy, enthusiasm and knowledge of the Cast Member doing the narration makes all the difference. Similar to the Jungle Cruise in the MK or the Jaws boat ride at Universal. It can be a really great experience or just so-so to downright borning depending on the CM.
    Unfortunately, CM's don't give the spiel anymore, it's just a recording.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• Disneyholic

Well that's just wrong on so many levels then.

Good CM's make a huge difference, replacing them with a soundtrack I think sends the wrong message... that you can be replaced with a tape loop is not the way to motivate people to do better.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Well that's just wrong on so many levels then.

Good CM's make a huge difference, replacing them with a soundtrack I think sends the wrong message... that you can be replaced with a tape loop is not the way to motivate people to do better.
    The worst part is that a CM STILL RIDES ON THE RIDE WITH YOU! They just sit there and do nothing. It makes no sense and isn't saving any money.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Make The Bumping Stop

This seems to be becoming a fad with attractions... Living With the Land anyone?

• Mouseketeer

I'm pretty sure Disney is replacing CM spiels with a canned spiel to provide guests with consistent experiences. Sure they eliminated the chance of a guest getting a horrible spiel-er, but guests also have lost the opportunity to get those great ones too. Hooray mediocrity...

I can, however, understand where they're coming from. It's also an effort to keep the ridership from falling even further with minimal investment. For me, getting a so-so over even bad jungle skipper (or whatever ride that relies on a cast member delivered spiel) is incentive to ride again, to hopefully catch a good one. I don't believe this is typical. More commonly a guest will write off a ride if they get a bad experience. On their next trip (assuming they don't have too many bad experiences) they wouldn't bother with that ride at all.

I don't think this 'safe' mediocrity is a winning choice... the ride stagnates so ridership will probably fall anyways, Disney misses out on the positive word-of-mouth from guests who enjoyed a great CM, and as NeverNeverland pointed out, it's inefficient, since you're wasting the CM who's already onboard and could be adding a personal touch to the experience.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    I'm pretty sure Disney is replacing CM spiels with a canned spiel to provide guests with consistent experiences. Sure they eliminated the chance of a guest getting a horrible spiel-er, but guests also have lost the opportunity to get those great ones too. Hooray mediocrity...

I can, however, understand where they're coming from. It's also an effort to keep the ridership from falling even further with minimal investment. For me, getting a so-so over even bad jungle skipper (or whatever ride that relies on a cast member delivered spiel) is incentive to ride again, to hopefully catch a good one. I don't believe this is typical. More commonly a guest will write off a ride if they get a bad experience. On their next trip (assuming they don't have too many bad experiences) they wouldn't bother with that ride at all.

I don't think this 'safe' mediocrity is a winning choice... the ride stagnates so ridership will probably fall anyways, Disney misses out on the positive word-of-mouth from guests who enjoyed a great CM, and as NeverNeverland pointed out, it's inefficient, since you're wasting the CM who's already onboard and could be adding a personal touch to the experience.
    That's another way of looking at it. I suspect it has something more to do with $$$... a recorded spiel in each vehicle is one less CM they have to pay per hour.

• Mouseketeer

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    That's another way of looking at it. I suspect it has something more to do with $$$... a recorded spiel in each vehicle is one less CM they have to pay per hour.
    I was under the impression that the CM driving the vehicle gave the spiel. There's still a CM driving, they just don't spiel anymore... doing less for the same wage.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    I was under the impression that the CM driving the vehicle gave the spiel. There's still a CM driving, they just don't spiel anymore... doing less for the same wage.
    Hmm, that's true... well there goes my theory.

No, actually there was a CM sitting in the first car, facing back, who gave the spiel. Now he just sits there doing nothing. So it actually IS 2 CMs per tram.

I think the streamlined standard spiels also have to do with the Ears to the World headphone translations. The same is obvious at Kilimanjaro Safaris where the headphones can be used as well. The safari was much more interesting back in the days when the CMs still could adlib (at least a bit). On my last few rides I noticed that they pretty much all said the same. On a positive note (if a bit OT) I was really happy that the old bridge effect ("someone didn't cross his fingers") was working again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast