Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Quality Assured

New Proposal...Disney's Carousel of Progress presented by Apple

With a thread already open discussing the possibility and the fight of the closure against the Carousel of Progress...here's an idea of what could occupy the theater in the future...

These days electricity is not new technology that is truly awe inspiring. Today's teens (including my 15 year-old self) are addicted to MTV, iPods, and computers. While these are all items run off of electricity, teens and most people alike would rather watch the progress of times within a yearspan that they can visualize. For example, teens today know more about the 80's from VH1's I Love the 80's then they ever will of the turn of the 20th century. So ladies and gentlemen, please sit back, relax, and enjoy my proposal for a NEW Carousel of Progress which could either inject a shot of life back into Disneyland's Tomorrowland or simply shock an older attraction into popularity among a larger demographic using the same principles Walt used back in 1964.
    In a bright white building with glossy sky blue highlights sits the all new Carousel Theater, a clone of the original built in 2006 in the Tomorrowland of the Disneyland Resort. In it is the all new Apple Carousel of Progress. Late in 2005, Disney and the Apple Computer Company agreed to collaberate on a new, fresh take on the original Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress, generously sponsored by the soaring Apple Company...now, enjoy the show... By the way, I chose Apple because it is huge and popular right now, sponsoring and taking part in the Carousel would be advertisement, what kid doesn't want an iPod anyway?

NARRATOR:
    Welcome to Disney's Carousel of Progress presented by Apple. The original Carousel of Progress opened in 1964 at the New York World's fair and was one of the highlights of Progressland. General Electric collaberated with Walt Disney himself to make an original show presenting the monumental changes electricity had on society at the turn of the 20th Century. Following the World's Fair, the Carousel of Progress along with another Walt Disney attraction created for the same fair, it's a small world, were relocated to Disneyland. After almost a decade of runs in California, the show was moved to Walt Disney World, Florida where it ran until late 2005, using a slightly updated version of the original show. Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress became the longest running and most watched "stage show" in history after having run continuously for eager audiences for nearly half a century. Today, you are in for a real treat. Apple Computers and Disney Imagineers have taken Walt Disney's visions and ideas of a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" from the original General Electric Carousel of Progress and present to you now, Apple's Carousel of Progress. (Orchestral version of "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" plays, revolution to first scene begins, with an AA father singing the words as he sits in his home office with a collie sitting next to him)

Attention Micechatters, I will complete the script when I get a chance, for now here's a summary by scene...sorry!

SCENE 1: 1980's Introduction of the new Personal Computer, 1980's TV plays advertisement of Walt Disney World during the 1980's, highlights are extinct attractions and the shots of Tomorrowland from the 80's. 1980 fads and such are shown, news of what Apple is up to and what the current PC does are told, music on cassette tapes highlighted, the family talks about their lives (parent's view, child's view, teen's view, senior's view) Early Mac operating system.

SCENE 2: 1990's Introduction of the current 90's PC, talk of the Internet SIMPY, older TV's, commercial of Walt Disney World from the 90's, 1990 Fads, family talks about life again, music on CD's. Later Mac operating system.

SCENE 3: 2000's Introduction of newer computers, laptops, handheld devices, cell phone with iTunes on it, ability to purchase music through iTunes, ability to buy almost anything over internet, flat screen TV's, compressed music files on iPods are the new way of listening to music, thousands of songs and videos can be played via iPod digital device, family talks about life, etc, people don't have to leave home as groceries can be ordered and delivered via internet (if in Disneyland Honda makes many new hybrid cars, etc etc etc), current WDW commercial feauturing the brand new Apple CoP

SCENE 4: Optimistic view of the future, a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!!! Apple unveils in-production ideas and the future of the computer world, unseen of technology is displayed such as TV screens on all walls such as in Ray Bradbury's Farenheit 451, family discusses life, new achievements (man on mars, new planets, daily rockets of launching family's to the moon, etc) iPods are smaller, hold full-length movies, pocket laptops, w/e floats Apple's and the Imagineers's boats!

END!!! Do I wish to be an Imagineer one day...yeah, do I hope people like this idea...yeah, would it be AMAZING if Disney ever does this or something like it...YEAH! In my opinion, who's bigger, more liked, or amusing than Apple. Plus, Apple and Pixar are the same leader/CEO, so it's an alternative to continuously using Pixar characters yet still having the support of practically the same company :-) On top of that, if first built in Disneyland it would easily have Apple support as Apple is a California company and it would be California state nationalism. A man can dream...no?

By the way, in the ***covered*** queue line people would pass by the origianl animatronics and stage pieces from the original show to further Walt Disney's legacy and vision of a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow.

• Quality Assured

Re: New Proposal...Disney's Carousel of Progress presented by Apple

• insufferable know-it-all

Yes and no. I really like your mode of thinking, even though I disagree with the outcome a bit.

Apple would be a good sponsor for CoP, but I don't think that starting "progress" at the 80's or focusing entirely on computer evolution will quite do it. It would make for a terrific final scene, however.

Or how about this idea: Innoventions is 2-story. Restore the bottom ring to the old show, ending in the 60's (turn, 20's, 40's, 60's), then have guests proceed upstairs to an extension of the show which shows the 80's and today. It might not be possible to extend the "rotating audience" effect upstairs, but certainly there would be ample stage room up there for the audience to see the last two parts. It might (though this is not certain) be possible to have a turntable up there for the traditional rotating stage at least. Perhaps offset it away from the stairs, have a CM at the top directing people to one of two theatres (on opposite sides of the turntable), and the show cycles through both theatres. Perhaps have the theatres at a 120-degree angle to eachother and have a 3-set rotating stage (one set of course being the load/unload). Then expand the building out toward its outer walkway (because it's just silly to have to walk all that way around the outside of the building) and turn the remaining new upstairs area into the apple exhibit.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Rock Star Minion

I once saw a history of the computer on History Channel (or some similar channel).
    It started with a weaving machine and moved quickly to the Cray in about an hour.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Vehicle rotating backward

Personally, I'd cringe at the return of a highly corporatized Tomorrowland. The idea served it's purpose in the industrialized boom of the late 50s and early 60s, but Disney attractions have since attained a level of prestige that sponsors should be proud to have their name on the door (and Disney management should keep them that way, instead of letting things slip and the sponsor exodus we saw in the 90s) without having to have their presence and products glossed by the attraction.

But updating the CoP is practically crucial to keeping it's viability in the park.

• They wanna know, HO!

I'm tantalized by the idea, as it keeps the idea and themes (watching progress through the eyes of a family using the latest in a form of technology, notice how CoP fails to really mention cars or such, just electricity?) but updating it and bringing in a new audience. I think it'll be cool, but better if Apple sponsored SSE or something more up their ally. I think Sony would be a better fit for CoP as they cover more aspects of technology than Apple (as I write this on a powerbook).
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

I would like a Carousel of Progress that begins not in the past, but already in the future. I like your proposal (minus Apple, however Dell or Toshiba would suffice) but I would start at the year 2000. Show how computer technology would begin with the wireless network, the bluetooth interlink, and the internet global community. Get the computer companies involved, and create a whole new Carousel of Progress. Make it like a Carousel of Horizons, where the future is proposed and depicted.

However, one thing that theme parks must do to maintain the public interest is keep their attractions fresh and exciting. Maybe they could add in-theater effects and an all new (marketable) character.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by Niyxstyx
    I would like a Carousel of Progress that begins not in the past, but already in the future. I like your proposal (minus Apple, however Dell or Toshiba would suffice) but I would start at the year 2000. Show how computer technology would begin with the wireless network, the bluetooth interlink, and the internet global community. Get the computer companies involved, and create a whole new Carousel of Progress. Make it like a Carousel of Horizons, where the future is proposed and depicted.

However, one thing that theme parks must do to maintain the public interest is keep their attractions fresh and exciting. Maybe they could add in-theater effects and an all new (marketable) character.
    Just a question, why not Apple? Why Dell? WHY TOSHIBA? They seem weaker than Apple.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Again, all that matters is that the sponsor is willing to pay money to have their name on the door. Please don't integrate them any further than that. It makes the show feel like an extended commercial, and Disney parks have progressed past the point where they need to make a ride based around promoting another company.

Also, it also can look kind of embarassing in the future. Apple is a fairly low-risk operation, but if you still think Monsanto Chemical Co is our friend in the future like Tomorrowland '55 told you, then come over here so I can spray some of this Agent Orange on ya.

You guys against the corporate aspect of the idea...you do know that the Carousel of Progress pretty much is a gigantic commercial for G.E. (not nowadays, though, since all refs have been removed)...

• Having a Grand Day!

No Steve Jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5
    You guys against the corporate aspect of the idea...you do know that the Carousel of Progress pretty much is a gigantic commercial for G.E. (not nowadays, though, since all refs have been removed)...
    I know that, but Disney attractions were in a different place and time back then.

These days, companies are (or ought to be) proud to have their logo and "Presented by..." title added to the front of the attaction without having the products and image of the sponsor woven through the show.

• meganmegaphone

You'd think it'd be an easy sell...
    I love my apple & my iPod...
    I love Disney...
    It'd be a happy attraction for me!

"Back off, Lilo... he's all mine!"
    My MySpace... or...My Facebook
    Coldplay = Love

"Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue." - The Office (BBC)

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Yes and no. I really like your mode of thinking, even though I disagree with the outcome a bit.

Apple would be a good sponsor for CoP, but I don't think that starting "progress" at the 80's or focusing entirely on computer evolution will quite do it. It would make for a terrific final scene, however.
    I agree here. A new updated, sponsored by Apple version would be great (except Jean Shepherd is no longer with us to do an updated scene). However, using it as a killer of the current show, instead of just updating and therefore keeping it the longest running stage show in the history of American theater, is not cool.

But maybe spreading it out a bit more, like 1900s, 30s, 50s, now might work...might not...anywho, I think you really need to keep those important eras in American history in the show.

But the premise of Apple sponsoring a new update version works for me.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Motorola? I have been syaing it for awhile but they are the perfect sponsor. Versus Apple, Motorola has been around a lot longer and they have a wider range of products since the 1920s. they have made TVs, Radios, Computer parts and invented the cell phones, in fact they made car phones in the 1950s, then the DynaTac appeared in the 1970s, StarTac in the 1990s, and now the OJO, RAZR, ROKR, RAZRWIRE. The RAZR is the thinnest phone, ROKR the first iPod phone, and RAZRWIRE is the only sunglasses with a phone in them, and OJO is one of the most available video phone. They have changed America for how many years?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast