Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Red Face Quality of CMs at WDW

I was at WDW from 01.03 - 01.10 this year and I was shocked at how rude and/or how ill prepared the CMs were at WDW. The rude CMs were American and the CMs who did not seem very knowledgeable were international. Did a lot of the regular CMs get time off after the busy holiday season and did they get replaced by temps??? I don't know, but it was bizarre.

These 2 CMs at a gift shop in Anandapur in DAK talking about how to apply make-up, completely ignoring the guests. The kicker is, they were not standing, but squatting behind a fixture, talking to each other.

2 other CMs at the gift shop at the World Showcase entrance to Epcot completely ignored me as I went up to the cash wrap to make a purchase. They guy CM behind the counter looked me up and down and went back to talking to the other CM. I had to declare that I wanted to make a purchase before they acknowledged me. BTW, this guy was creepy looking. He looked like he was on drugs or was released from a half-way house...

I know it's hard to keep such a huge company employed with good quality front-end people, but this was ridiculous! It made me appreciate the CMs here at DLR, and even they're not that great!!!

I do have to give kudos to the CMs who were spectacular though... We had a great server at the Ohana character breakfast and at the Cape May Cafe character breakfast.

The standout was a CM from Africa (I forget which country! I feel bad!) named, Innocent. He was the best CM that I had experienced throughout my WDW trip. Innocent was passionate about helping chimpanzees back in his home country and was using his job at the DAK lodge to spread awareness about how fragile these creatures' habitats have become. Innocent is the epitome of what a great Disney CM should be. Thank you, Innocent, for making our trip memorable!

Re: Quality of CMs at WDW

Two years ago we have been to WDW and we have also encountered some very unfriendly CMs. I was very surprised by this behavior, because on many Disney forums people are talking about how bad the CMs are at DLRP and how great they are in the American parks. We have been to DLRP several times and there the CMs are not better and not worse than their US colleagues. Maybe our expectations were too high, but in my opinion there is no difference between the American and the European CMs.

• Minion

We've been going as a group for the last 6 years and the CMs at DHS really stood out this year. Not in a good way. Our group was split up, but we all had an encounter of the same caliber, when we compared notes later.
    I want my cake back!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Wow... I've never had a really bad experience with a WDW CM. Nothing to remember at least. I do remember some good experiences though.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I've been three times and was also shocked that my treatment at just one day at Universal Orlando was LOADS nicer than the entire week at WDW combined. And I'm not just talking about the indifferent CM... there were more than a handful that were flat out rude, yelled, chewed people out, etc.

The great CMs at WDW, and yes, there were a few, were mostly those from another country.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Just another Disney fan..

Had a terrible experience with a CM at the Grand Emporium this past holiday season.

When it was my turn to approach the register, I said "hello" and the CM stood there stone faced and didn't even acknowledge me other than giving me a unhappy stare. I asked if there was something wrong and got no response, so I got out of line and went to another register.

This CM was either very rude or having a terrible day. Either way, the CM should have been removed from being on-stage.

Unfortunately, the quality of the CMs as a whole has been dropping over the last 5 years. Fortunately, there are still some very special CMs remaining. Just no longer the norm.

I can't say I've ever found a particularly rude one. But I hate how they're instructed to basically lie if they don't know the proper answer. The number of times we've received incorrect information about schedules, transportation, etc. is incredible.
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleloveswalt View Post
    I can't say I've ever found a particularly rude one. But I hate how they're instructed to basically lie if they don't know the proper answer. The number of times we've received incorrect information about schedules, transportation, etc. is incredible.
    Wait wait wait... no no. We are not instructed to lie in the event we don't know the proper answer. I have NEVER heard that one. I was taught that if you do not know the answer, to ask another cast member or call City Hall.

• The Study of Wumbo

I think it might just be the time of your visit. In late August I was a little disappointed in the maids at the Haunted Mansion, the bellhops at the Tower, and the cast members running Aloha Isle. I surmise it was the time of year that they were training new cast members coming in for Fall, but I have not had that confirmed.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Quote Originally Posted by meekobiscuit View Post
    2 other CMs at the gift shop at the World Showcase entrance to Epcot completely ignored me as I went up to the cash wrap to make a purchase. They guy CM behind the counter looked me up and down and went back to talking to the other CM. I had to declare that I wanted to make a purchase before they acknowledged me.
    That's when I usually hold the stuff I selected up to about shoulder height, and tell them "Excuse me, when y'all are done talking: you can go ahead and put this stuff away" and ceremoniously drop it to the counter, turn and leave.

• Drunk On Disney!

At WDW, I was in a pin store, and through involuntary eavesdropping, I heard a customer ask the CM what "E ticket" meant. The CM replied that she didn't know and that it could have something to do with Fast Passes! I was right next to this incident, so turned around and saved the day by telling them about A - E tickets.

At the convenience store at the Contemporary, I was walking up to the counter to trade pins with the CM. As I was walking up, she talked on her cell phone and gave me a very dirty look. She hung up, and I was able to trade, but she never even smiled.

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    Wait wait wait... no no. We are not instructed to lie in the event we don't know the proper answer. I have NEVER heard that one. I was taught that if you do not know the answer, to ask another cast member or call City Hall.
    Then most don't follow that procedure out of laziness or being too busy to do that. A few years ago we were instructed (at the Magic Kingdom) to take a bus to Downtown Disney and walk to Hollywood Studios from there. Or another was the time we were unable to go to Fantasia Gardens because we had gone to Coronado Springs after being told we could walk from there. To add to that, the CMs at Coronado didn't know what Fantasia Gardens was.

This happens multiple times each trip to us. When we did a tour, our guide did tell us that it's better to just guess at an answer for a CM, then say 'I don't know,' and we presumed this was the reason for the dozens of times we've been misled.

They're always very polite, but often incorrect.
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

WDW is the only Disney park I haven't been to and I've always thought its the best Disney resort ever but this is really shocking. The CMs at HKDL are the complete opposite in behavior compared to your depictions of the CMs at WDW. I guess its just stress...but TDR CMs handle their huge crowds majestically...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleloveswalt View Post
    Then most don't follow that procedure out of laziness or being too busy to do that. A few years ago we were instructed (at the Magic Kingdom) to take a bus to Downtown Disney and walk to Hollywood Studios from there. Or another was the time we were unable to go to Fantasia Gardens because we had gone to Coronado Springs after being told we could walk from there. To add to that, the CMs at Coronado didn't know what Fantasia Gardens was.

This happens multiple times each trip to us. When we did a tour, our guide did tell us that it's better to just guess at an answer for a CM, then say 'I don't know,' and we presumed this was the reason for the dozens of times we've been misled.

They're always very polite, but often incorrect.
    If the CM doesn't know the answer they should try and find out the correct answer for them instead of causing people to waste hours going somewhere with misinformation.

That's horrible.

• Characters are my friends

This topic makes me sad.

I'm glad I've never had a bad CM encounter though, and I hope it stays that way
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast