Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

'Summer Nightastic' coming to WDW

We've all heard by now that the Main Street Electrical Parade is heading to Florida this summer (sob), but WDW also announced several other events that are going to be happening at the resorts this summer.

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror will be getting new lighting effects and a new drop sequence, created especially for “Summer Nightastic!”,

A new fireworks display over the Magic Kingdom (no name for it yet)

The return of the Sounds Like Summer concert series to Epcot

Extended evening hours at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Seeing how this promotion was a bit of a flop at DL last year, I'm curious to see how this is going to work for WDW. At least they aren't trying to replace Fantasmic's dragon.

Re: 'Summer Nightastic' coming to WDW

What do you mean by a Flop? You mean because the Dragon didn't work? I thought the promotion was still very successful for the Disneyland Resort.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Yeah, the only flop Disneyland had was Murphy and also that they weren't prepared for the huge crowds to pour in, haha.

• Yo!

DL's promotion was hardly a flop. I don't know where the financial report for that quarter is at the moment, but I know for a fact it cited an increase in attendance for the DLR over that same period last year (and it was a substantial increase, too).

As for the MK's "new" firework show, WDWMagic is claiming that it's actually going to be "Magic, Music, and Mayhem," perimeter fireworks and all!! If that's indeed the case, then I may just be considering a summer trip to the resort.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    At least they aren't trying to replace Fantasmic's dragon.
    Yeah, heaven forbid they try to actually add something big for the promotion.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Yeah, heaven forbid they try to actually add something big for the promotion.
    I think the really big stuff will happen next year, I think this is just to stave off losses to Universal with the Wizardry World opening up "this Spring". When I was down there last week to check on the progress and tour the resorts (been getting a lot of Universal requests of late) the construction was in high gear and what you can see from the Dueling dragon queues and other areas looks amazing so far!

Disney needs to do something, Universal has a global marketing (vrs just local like in the past few years) that's ready to kick off as soon as they have a firm opening date for HP. We where told it's well beyond what was in the Superbowl ad. The Staff at the Universal properties are really attentive and go above and beyond like what we used to see at WDW but has been declining over the past few years. CityWalk is revitalized since the closure of the PI Clubs, I had been there a few years ago and it was fairly dead, on this last trip it was packed in the club areas. Speaking of Club's the Club level lounge food offerings where better as well, they offer light and heavy snacks in the afternoon and evening as well as a much wider variety of breakfast items (including hot item).

Universal is not without it's problems though, the rip ride rocket coaster seemed to be down more than it was up, which apparently is normal. The coasters in HP area appear to be just the existing Dueling Dragons and the old unicorn ride with a name change and some cosmetic changes so really only 1 new "ride" in the land but the attention to detail seems to be on par with the rest of IOA, which is very impressive. However if you stay on property and have the front of the line access you can pretty much see and do everything in both parks in a day and a half or so if the parks are not busy. Food also seemed to be more expensive to me, with a double bacon cheeseburger alone costing the same as a double bacon cheeseburger, with fries and a soda at say Pecos Bill's at the MK.

That Said I'm still a Disneyholic to the core, and will always be one but I was impressed with Universal this time around and I'm really hopeful that Universal will push Disney to do better and Vice Versa but after experiencing the changes they have been making in the past couple years Disney World should be a little nervous of loosing some volume to Universal in the next year or two because they are doing a lot of things right, but I don't think the Wizarding World is going to be a huge devastating event as some are predicting. I would go back for a weekend but not 8-10 days like I would for WDW and I think that's what Disney is counting on. Hence the small changes to the nighttime entertainment, a few attraction updates here and then building to the big changes to Fantasyland and the 40th anniversary next year.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Regardless of what may come next year, a stronger Nightastic promotion was very doable.

• Dream in wonderful color!

The name for the fireworks has been announced. It's a bit strange and generic. I would have just kept the original name of the show.

'Summer Nightastic Fireworks Spectacular'

The Summer Nightastic fireworks show has been named, and it will be called 'Summer Nightastic Fireworks Spectacular'. The show will be the very popular 'Music, Magic, and Mayhem show (including the perimeter pyro) that was shown during the hard ticket event, Disney's Pirate and Princess Party. The show will have new introductory dialog. The show will replace Wishes for the summer period for around 70 nights, beginning June 6 2010 and ending on August 14 2010.

wdwmagic.com/Events/Summer-Nightastic/News/28Mar2010-Summer-Nightastic-fireworks-show-named.htm
    Last edited by nonob88; 03-28-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: links removed per micechat FAQ and article edited for copyright
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    The name for the fireworks has been announced. It's a bit strange and generic. I would have just kept the original name of the show.

'Summer Nightastic Fireworks Spectacular'

Ummm.... yes. Definately would have kept the original name. SNFS is a really horrid name. But it will be a great show and I will continue to call it MMM!!!!!

• Dream in wonderful color!

I guess the name Fireworks: A Show in the Sky was taken
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Regardless of the lame name, it's a great show and I'm glad more people will able to see it now.

30 Minutes from the Happiest Place on Earth

I'm so disappointed in WDW doing Nightastic... I'm going on my first trip to WDW on June 11th with my family and because of the promotion I won't be able to see Wishes or Spectromagic. It makes me mad because I can see DEP over in California Adventure whenever I want. Now I'm stuck with it at WDW. It's a great parade but when my family plans our first trip and we want to see certain shows, its maddening when they are replaced by something else. Does anybody know when SpectroMagic will stop showing at Magic Kingdom?
    "To all who come to this happy place... welcome." -Walt Disney
    "And that was without even a single drop of rum" -Jack Sparrow

• Yo!

^ You should be thankful Magic, Music, & Mayhem will be showing. It's by FAR a better show than Wishes, and you get the perimeter fireworks as well. I'd say it's a win-win.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

30 Minutes from the Happiest Place on Earth

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    ^ You should be thankful Magic, Music, & Mayhem will be showing. It's by FAR a better show than Wishes, and you get the perimeter fireworks as well. I'd say it's a win-win.
    Yes, but what about Spectromagic?
    "To all who come to this happy place... welcome." -Walt Disney
    "And that was without even a single drop of rum" -Jack Sparrow

• Hurry Baaaaaaaack!

I'm really going to miss Wishes. It's such a beautiful show with a great soundtrack. For me, Wishes only gets better with time...every time I see it, I get sentimental thinking about all the other times I've watched the show with my family. I'm quite sad that I'm not going to be able to see it this summer - I only hope that these new fireworks are just as good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast