Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The Study of Wumbo

Cool Changes for the NEW SpectroMagic?

So, some people might know that the original SpectroMagic parade debuted in Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom in 1991. If there's one thing I've realized about Walt Disney World in 1991, one thing they were pushing as hard as they could was Roger Rabbit. SpectroMagic features a music-themed unit, featuring many whimsical musical instruments, including Goofy on the timpani, and, originally, Roger Rabbit conducting. 1991 also happened to be Walt Disney World's 20th Birthday, and if one looks at the promotional material, Roger Rabbit was a character heavily pushed. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? premiered in 1988, and around 1991, the Disney Company saw Mr. Rabbit to be quite the marketable character. One that could someday reach the prestige of Mickey and Friends.

SpectroMagic ran until 1999, when, as part of the WDW Millennium Celebration, the classic Main Street Electrical Parade brought its "nighttime magic and imagination" to the Magic Kingdom's Main Street, Liberty Square, and Frontierland for a limited engagement, lasting only until April 1, 2001.

The very next day, SpectroMagic made its return. The parade saw several enhancements, including new heads for the ever-slightly-creepy SpectroMen and new Sebastian and Jiminy Cricket animatronic figures for some floats. One notable change was the removal of Roger Rabbit's character and its replacement with Aladdin's Genie. The Genie still conducted and said the same lines as Roger, only in the familiar Robin Williams voice.

There's some background information. Like the original Main Street Electrical Parade, SpectroMagic hasn't run uninterrupted all this time, and it has seen some changes.

Since last time SpectroMagic took a break, it did receive some nice changes, does anyone expect some updates to happen when SpectroMagic returns this Fall, after the Summer Nightastic? Would anyone rather that SpectroMagic not return?

What would you guys like to see after the Main Street Electrical Parade finishes up its run at the Magic Kingdom?
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Changes for the NEW SpectroMagic?

How about a NEW nighttime parade?

Nahhh... the bean counters at WDW would never go for that.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

The genie on the float is Dan Castellenata's voice I believe, not Robin Williams.

I would like to see more movies represented. Part of the charm MSEP, at least to me, is the variety of floats: Dumbo, Pete's Dragon, Snow White, Peter Pan, etc. With Spectro, you have Little Mermaid, Fantasia, and the garden segment. Not much of a chance to let others shine (no pun intended.) Yes, you have the music and caroussel segments, but it just seems iconic scenes are lacking.

What I think needs to be done is an update, either to MSEP or Spectro, adding more scenes, from more movies.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    The genie on the float is Dan Castellenata's voice I believe, not Robin Williams.

Dan Castellenata was the voice of Genie in the second Aladdin movie "The Return of Jafar". Robin Williams returned for the third installment which I think was called "Aladdin and the Prince of Theives"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post
    Dan Castellenata was the voice of Genie in the second Aladdin movie "The Return of Jafar". Robin Williams returned for the third installment which I think was called "Aladdin and the Prince of Theives"
    Castellenate also was the voice of the genie for the TV series. My post is referring to the Spectro float though, which I'm pretty sure is Castellenata.

• The Study of Wumbo

Castellenate also was the voice of the genie for the TV series. My post is referring to the Spectro float though, which I'm pretty sure is Castellenata.
    I slyly used the phrase "in the familiar Robin Williams voice," not to qualify it as anyone in particular but as the same kind of voice, as I wasn't sure.

I could forsee them changing the conductor character again. Can anyone see Louis the Alligator from Princess and the Frog?
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    I slyly used the phrase "in the familiar Robin Williams voice," not to qualify it as anyone in particular but as the same kind of voice, as I wasn't sure.

I could forsee them changing the conductor character again. Can anyone see Louis the Alligator from Princess and the Frog?
    Actually, a whole firefly sequence from the Princess and the Frog would be pretty cool.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I expect the parade to be entirely made of LEDs when SpectroMagic returns. That and a few new/updated sequences.
    -Bill

• Banned User

Since Spectro will be down for months, it would be ridiculous to bring it back exactly as it is now. A new float or two is de rigeur.

I hope we do see some enhancements... but I don't know about LEDs. They just don't seem to have that same sparkle as regular lights sometimes. I hope we do get a new float or two, but what i'm really worried about is if they change the music like they did with the MSEP. The music we have now is still very rich and magical. I don't think we will see a new parade, (I'd much rather have a new daytime parade!!), but if we do, they certainly have a lot to live up to.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    How about a NEW nighttime parade?

Nahhh... the bean counters at WDW would never go for that.
    Sad but true, but who knows...

Actually, a whole firefly sequence from the Princess and the Frog would be pretty cool.
    I agree, lot of things they can do inexpensively with fiber-optic fireflies or led's that would be spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I expect the parade to be entirely made of LEDs when SpectroMagic returns. That and a few new/updated sequences.
    I think that's where it will go, given that LED's are generally considered a "green technology" as compared to incandescent light bulbs and last a lot longer it will be cheaper in the long run. I bet the parade dancers and characters would be happy with the change especially since they use less power and they can use smaller batteries which I'm sure the fireflies and other characters will appreciate the few extra less ponds to carry along the parade route.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

More than anything, I'd like the audio on all the floats cleaned up and updated and the timing of the score along the parade route tightened up. There are many dead spots between units leaving nothing but the "pixie dust" sound effect playing over the stationary speakers along the route. Last night I noticed that the trumpeting horns on the opening float were very quiet...you couldn't hear them until the float was right on top of you. The same can be said for many of the other floats. The music is half the show (at least the emotional half) and to have so many dead spots ruins the fluidity of the parade.

I'd also love a new unit in the parade. Beauty and the Beast would make a great addition (its music lends itself to the current soundtrack) and in my opinion, is the glaring ommission in this parade.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by steve2wdw View Post
    I'd also love a new unit in the parade. Beauty and the Beast would make a great addition (its music lends itself to the current soundtrack) and in my opinion, is the glaring ommission in this parade.
    It's a glaring omission because Beauty and the Beast hadn't come out yet when SpectroMagic started... I'd agree and would like to see it though, none the less. However, I think Princess and the Frog would be far more likely.

And to lend more credibility to my previous LED statement, many costumes and elements of the parade have already been switched to LEDs.
    -Bill

• Occasional Reader

I think the fact that the operating temps, and power consumption of LED's are massively lower, should hopefully mean there is scope to do a lot more with costuming than previously
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast