Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Future World at EPCOT - Entrance, Spaceship Earth, and Innoventions - Pictures

My picture threads consist of images I have taken that focus on the architecture, landscape architecture, planning, design, and theming of the facilities highlighted. They may also contain short descriptions and commentary, but will not focus on construction progress or special events or memorabilia or food selections or my traveling companions. Hopefully these threads are a good introduction for those who have not seen these places yet. All killer, no filler!

Entrance, Spaceship Earth, and Innoventions photographed in February 2008 and January 2010:
    I have artificially subdivided the 8 pavilions of Future World at EPCOT into three threads because this land is too large to cover thoroughly with one and eight separate threads would be too many. This thread focuses on the two adjacent pavilions in the center of the land. EPCOT is divided into two lands, Future World and World Showcase, the former being a collection of 8 pavilions that each focus on one aspect of the future. They are each housed in a large modern building (or two) with at least one major attraction (several are almost entirely one attraction); in addition, some of them feature activity galleries or a shop or restaurant. They form a roughly circular symmetric layout centered on two of the pavilions.

MONORAIL STATION:
    Just outside the entrance gates is the park's monorail stop for a route that connects to the Ticket and Transportation Center several miles away. The station is designed in the same restrained modern style as the entrance gates and plaza nearby.

ENTRY PLAZA CANOPY:
    This is a typical modern detail of the entry area.

DEDICATION PLAQUE:

SPACESHIP EARTH:
    The icon of the park is this large geodesic globe-like structure that houses one of the eight pavilions. It is the first one encountered after the entry plaza and is on axis with the entry and the Innoventions pavilion buildings beyond.

Ride Loading Area:
    After entering the building at the base of the sphere, guests immediately board a slow ride composed of a continuous string of ride vehicles that each feature video screens in front of each pair of seats. The vehicles gently spiral up into the sphere to view an excellent series of three-dimensional show scenes that trace the history of technology before returning on a steeper route back down to the unloading station while an interactive program is played on the vehicle video screens.

Ride Unloading Area:

Project Tomorrow:
    The other part of the pavilion is an interactive gallery at the exit of the ride that features an excellent sleek futuristic style.

INNOVENTIONS:
    The two symmetric curving buildings of the next pavilion form the true geographic center of Future World, on axis with Spaceship Earth. This pavilion serves as the largest interactive gallery space with areas in each building devoted to several exhibits that are changed occasionally. It also serves as the largest guest services area in this land, with shops and restaurants. Between the buildings is a large plaza with a terraced spouting fountain and several attractive shade canopies.

Innoventions East:
    The building on the East side is composed of a gallery space that features several exhibits including Sum Of All Thrills, an innovative short ride on a robotic arm pre-programmed by the riders. It also has Electric Umbrella, an indoor counter service restaurant with a canopied outdoor dining area facing the plaza, and Mousegear, the largest Disney souvenir shop in the park that is nicely themed with a futuristic factory motif.

Innoventions West:
    The building on the West side is composed of a gallery space that features several exhibits including Smarter Planet and Segway Central. It also has an ice cream shop called Fountain View that faces the plaza, and Club Cool for tasting and buying corporate sponsor soda products.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by geomorph; 02-16-2010 at 05:07 PM.

• Delawarean Girl

Re: Future World at EPCOT - Entrance, Spaceship Earth, and Innoventions - Pictures

Nice new look with Spaceship Earth. I haven't came around since they have made that new changes and with Judi Dench now being the narrator. It was still under AT&T the last time I was in WDW.

• All-American

Re: Future World at EPCOT - Entrance, Spaceship Earth, and Innoventions - Pictures

I agree that the Project Tomorrow post-show of Spaceship Earth is extremely successful thematically, especially in matching the 1980s-futurist look of the rest of Epcot.

And I've been a bit of a critic of the tarps in Innoventions Plaza for not fitting the Plaza aesthetically, but your pictures and comments are changing my mind on this... hmm... I'll have to sleep on it.

• Happy Haunt

This makes me want a Mickey Bar.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Thanks for more great pictures ... If only Epcot could be across the esplanade from Disneyland.

Nice shots! Great composition

• The Study of Wumbo

Love these topics. Two things: One of the first photos of Spaceship Earth was taken from Innoventions Plaza instead of the Entrance, so it might be a little confusing for people who aren't familiar with the views. Two, I don't know how one thinks those purple spiderweb canopies are attractive.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Quote Originally Posted by Hayley B View Post
    Nice new look with Spaceship Earth. I haven't came around since they have made that new changes and with Judi Dench now being the narrator. It was still under AT&T the last time I was in WDW.
    The new Spaceship Earth is without a doubt in the top 3 worst things Disney has ever done. Not only is it an embarrassment in both its concept and execution, it creates a chain effect that destroys the entire purpose and enjoyment of Epcot. It's best that you remember SSE as it once was and not ruin that memory.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by ryno1986 View Post
    The new Spaceship Earth is without a doubt in the top 3 worst things Disney has ever done. Not only is it an embarrassment in both its concept and execution, it creates a chain effect that destroys the entire purpose and enjoyment of Epcot. It's best that you remember SSE as it once was and not ruin that memory.
    I certainly wouldn't call it one of the worst things Disney has never done. I would actually say it's been pretty successful in reinvigorating the attraction. I too miss the more poetic style of Jeremy Irons' narration, as well as the more 3D depictions of the future in the descent, but Judi Dench helps to make the meaning of the attraction more accessible to the average theme park guest. And it's much, MUCH better than the pavilion going the way of World of Motion, and becoming that awful-sounding "Time Racers" thrill ride proposed for the space a few years ago.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by ryno1986 View Post
    For some perspective:

Top 3 Worst Things Disney Has Ever Done
    (Parks Edition)

1. Carnival style games inside Disney parks
    2. Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management
    3. Superstar Limo

It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Spectacular shots geomorph! Love the Spaceship Earth shots!!!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Talking Re: Future World at EPCOT - Entrance, Spaceship Earth, and Innoventions - Pictures

Beautiful, just beautiful. Kind of off topic, what was Time Racers?

Timekeeper

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    Beautiful, just beautiful. Kind of off topic, what was Time Racers?

Timekeeper
    I guess it wasn't the idea that was horrible, so much as what it would have done to the pavilion. But basically, it would have involved taking out the omnimover and putting in a ride system more like Test Track. Some of the scenes would have been kept, but many would have been removed. The ride would ended by exiting the geosphere and zooming around an exterior track around Innovations Plaza. This was all part of the proposed Project Gemini, an overhaul of Epcot, in the late '90s. Like I said, it's not a terrible idea in itself, but it would have involved removing and dumbing down one of the greatest dark rides ever created, surely among the ranks of Pirates and Haunted Mansion.

• Delawarean Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    For some perspective:

Top 3 Worst Things Disney Has Ever Done

(Parks Edition)
    1. Carnival style games inside Disney parks
    2. Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management
    3. Superstar Limo
    Just want to say. I strongly agree, to all three.

I agree, Tiki Room Under New Management is a travesty! The other two are not good either, fortunately one of them is gone! I would also like to nominate Maliboomer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast