Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Some hotel questions...

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I just decided not to take the vacation at all. I had booked hotel and airfare and was looking at restaurants and stuff when I stumbled upon way too much information about the, er, habitat that WDW resides in.

Too many horror stories about Monster Bugs in rooms, snakes bigger than children, wild alligators on-site and more. I realize that WDW isn't airlifting people away all the time for poisonous bites and missing limbs, but that's the kind of environment that turns a northener like me completely pale. I think I'll just save my skin and go back to DL instead.

Wow, that's interesting. Where did you hear this stuff?? I've been down there 5 times now (3 times offsite, 2 times staying on Disney grounds) and the worst thing I saw on WDW grounds was one, small harmless snake that was nowhere near the resort we stayed in. Big deal! Far as bugs go, they're really minimal at WDW because they use a service to keep them under control. Offsite, you might see more lizards and other bugs, but we never had anything nasty get in our room...onsite or off.

Oh well, hope you enjoy your visit to whichever park you end up at.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha

Wow, that's interesting. Where did you hear this stuff??
    Mostly in newsgroups and other boards like WDWMagic and so on. I recognize most the people who see this stuff are locals, APs, and people who are there so often that they will be there to report to the internet if a CM sneezed, but I also had been concerned about going alone (it's not nearly as fun by yourself) as well as concern about whether I should save up some more and try to see some of Universal, too.

The whole "don't worry about the giant cockroaches because they'll be eaten by a spider that's bigger than your head" routine was simply the icing on the cake.

• Minion

I just decided not to take the vacation at all. I had booked hotel and airfare and was looking at restaurants and stuff when I stumbled upon way too much information about the, er, habitat that WDW resides in.
    MickeyMania, I don't want to hurt your feelings, and I don't want to be rude, but THIS IS THE SILLIEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!!!! You make it sound like you have to be holding a machete to get from your hotel door to your bed. I've lived in the north as well as the south, and if I had to put a number on it from 1 to 10, with maybe 1 the amount of wild critters you might find in a northern climate, I'd say that the Disney property might rate a 1.3 (that's 1 point 3, not thirteen!). There are no where near enough critters to impact your visit in the slightest. And anything you might see isn't going to affect your enjoyment of the parks in the slightest.

Really, there's nothing at all to scare you in any way, so just put those fears away!!!

• Minion

^ What he said!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Okay guys, I'll strongly consider rebooking, although I'd like to take this as a breather and take a wait and see approach because I wasn't happy booking over a weekend when it'll be packed to the gills, as well as being alone.

I already talked to a WDTC guy on the phone who said they don't have my CC information anymore or anything so I'll have to start over, but I want them to drop their $200 authorization on my credit card before I offer them anymore money first.

The guy at the travel co was really, uh, into the product. Nice enough, but I'm not sure how I feel about having the Dining Plan sold to me while I was talking to him long-distance.

Disney Call Center: "Like the other month, I took my son to a dinner at (some restaurant) and it was a $140 bill! If you had the dining plan you can get two meals and a snack and not pay the high prices, and trust me the prices are really really high."
    MickeyMania: "You're making a great sales pitch for your restaurants."
    DCC: *laughs* "But it's true!"

• Minion

The whole "don't worry about the giant cockroaches because they'll be eaten by a spider that's bigger than your head" routine was simply the icing on the cake.

Who said that??

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at whoever mentioned the giant spiders. I mean, really. They should know the giant spiders are too dang busy running away from all the giant anacondas and alligators.
    Last edited by Pacha; 10-31-2005 at 05:34 PM.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Mostly in newsgroups and other boards like WDWMagic and so on. I recognize most the people who see this stuff are locals, APs, and people who are there so often that they will be there to report to the internet if a CM sneezed, but I also had been concerned about going alone (it's not nearly as fun by yourself) as well as concern about whether I should save up some more and try to see some of Universal, too.

I've went by myself before... had a BLAST. Nine nights, best vacation EVAR. You will find something to do... and there's always socializing at Pleasure Island. I spent a lot of my time talking to other Cast Members, other Guests in line, etc. etc.

The most I've ever seen (and I've been EVERYWHERE on that property) were rabbits, families of deer, alligators (what a trip!), lizards, really tiny little frogs that were pretty cute, a huge snapping turtle, etc. etc. Nothing that you don't see in any other swamp. My trip was also during that whole West Nile thing... so a little bug spray and I was done. I'm more afraid of lightning then then "super massive bugs that will eat your FACE!".

I think you're just a little too paranoid. It's really not that bad and you're only looking worse case scenario cases... look at the millions of people that go to WDW every year and nothing ever happens to them. Everything looks bad when you look at really far-fetched "reporting" (and I use that term VERY loosely) like that.

It's like saying that if you go to China (like I'd ever want to go there, please!) you're DEFINATELY going to get SARS or Bird Flu. Absolutely everyone that goes there. It's TRUE!!!
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; 11-02-2005 at 12:13 PM.

• Stitch to the Rescue

We try to do what we can as far as room changes for our guests. Working at the All Stars and working as a room checker for the Front Desk, I have checked all 2400 rooms before and had very little to complain about to our HK management. I have had a few bad rooms and really nasty rooms, but that was only after the Hurricanes of 2004, with the power crews staying at our resorts.

Sean

I think Disney uses "SPECIAL" bug spray! That is a problem I would not even worry about. It's Florida not the Amazon.

I think the "CRITTERS" on Ball and Katella are worse than on WDW property

Too many horror stories about Monster Bugs in rooms, snakes bigger than children, wild alligators on-site and more. I realize that WDW isn't airlifting people away all the time for poisonous bites and missing limbs, but that's the kind of environment that turns a northener like me completely pale. I think I'll just save my skin and go back to DL instead.
    I've lived in a suburban neighborhood between Daytona Beach and Orlando all of my life. Bugs are a given in such a humid climate, but Disney does a good job of keeping them out.

The thing you must realize is that Walt Disney World is a large complex, surrounded by water and swamps. Florida is filled with them. There are always a potential for alligators anywhere... just like there are wild bears up north.

If these minor occurances scare you away from Walt Disney World, I cannot fathom how you are even able to leave your house each day.

Originally Posted by MickeyMania

Orlando, most of Costal Florida, Myrtle Beach, all these areas used to be or still are swamp lands, Critters that don't wear felt heads are going to be a problem unless you burn everything down and pave everything 110% before rebuilding. When my daughter was about 5, we stayed at a DTD hotel, and she loved the small lizards scurrying about on the walk ways thru out the Hotel grounds. Good housekeeping & pest control will reduce the problem, but humans have moved into thier domain where these speices have lived for thousands of years.

• Former CM

I've been there 3 times so far and I saw just 1 gator while visitiing and that was while on a bus away from everything. The biggest critters I saw otherwise was rabbits and squirels.

• Minion

Okay guys, I'll strongly consider rebooking, although I'd like to take this as a breather and take a wait and see approach because I wasn't happy booking over a weekend when it'll be packed to the gills, as well as being alone.

I already talked to a WDTC guy on the phone who said they don't have my CC information anymore or anything so I'll have to start over, but I want them to drop their $200 authorization on my credit card before I offer them anymore money first.

The guy at the travel co was really, uh, into the product. Nice enough, but I'm not sure how I feel about having the Dining Plan sold to me while I was talking to him long-distance.

Disney Call Center: "Like the other month, I took my son to a dinner at (some restaurant) and it was a $140 bill! If you had the dining plan you can get two meals and a snack and not pay the high prices, and trust me the prices are really really high."
    MickeyMania: "You're making a great sales pitch for your restaurants."
    DCC: *laughs* "But it's true!"
    We did most of the planning for our upcoming trip in February via the Internet. Disney.com is an outstanding resource for making comparisons between resorts, package prices, meal plans etc. Also used some other sites like, suitedisney.com, allears.net and a few others. So, when we called, we knew exactly what we wanted and avoided the whole "sales pitch" thing. Only thing is it took a few calls to get our special request (two adjoining rooms) figured out only because their stupid software doesn't allow doing that at the resort we're staying at. In the end, it was no biggie and they called us back when they got things straightened out.

Also, FWIW, we went with the dining plan. I think the cost will be cheaper in the long run, plus it's nice not to have to think about what you're spending on meals during the stay there. Having one less thing to think about has its benefits!

Whichever way you go, I'm sure you'll have a good time there.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

As I've been sitting around being indecisive about the Orlando resort VS the Tokyo one, I've noticed some observations about the hotels:

1) What is it with the rooms opening up to the outside? Even newer resorts like CSR design their room buildings like apartments, with rooms that open up to an outdoors balcony, with a walk to hotel services. I guess I'm a little too used to Las Vegas but it seems like you have to pay Deluxe prices if you want a room that opens to an inside hallway with an elevator that takes you down into the hotel? But even the Poly does that, too, it would seem. Does it feel safe walking around your hotel at dark?

2) Ditto for roomkeeping. I read plenty of reports of poor roomkeeping in nearly all value resorts, most moderate resorts, and even some deluxe ones! Are the rooms really this messy?

3) Anyway, I thought I was coming down to either the POFQ or the Wilderness Lodge, but I'm not sure how much more I should expect to pay for the Lodge. AllEars' page lists about a $60 difference for a value priced room, but the Disney web site seems to say that the cost is fully doubled (same dates)! For that price I could go stay at the Contemporary and get Monorail.
    1) Yes the moderates and values open up to the outside more like motels, but they are still fine hotels. I have never not felt safe in any Disney hotel.
    The Polynesian looks like it opens to the outside but you enter them from the inside, the outside still has balconies like the other deluxes, they are just spread out over sperate buildings.

2) Are the rooms really that messy? No not at all. I'm sure Disney does have some lousy cleaned rooms at times, but so will anywhere...
    Now you'll certainly get some higher and lower standards, (but that varies more on the cleaner not the resort). This summer I stayed at the Pop, the cleaning lady was great. I then stayed at the Caribbean and the one there left alot to be desired, then at the Wilderness Lodge that same week the lady was supurb (if I had to choose the best run of all WDW's hotels...my moneyis on the Wilderness Lodge). So the rooms are not messy.

3) It depends on what rates you get. AllEars seems to usually post the best rates, while Disney (especially on line) tries to squeeze every single penny they can. It usually helps to get an idea of what ideal rates you can get, then call Disney. I've always found best rates by calling (though I miss the old way to get AP rates )...if it comes down to Contemporary and WL, it's a tough call because I like the lodge but the monorail is fun.

• Been there-Doing it again

Originally Posted by MickeyMania

Umm, is where you live hazard free? No bugs, snakes or lightening? Car accidents or bad hair days? I know you have some fears about traveling alone but I've been to Disney all of my life and have never felt threatened moving about the property on my own. This includes both being a child and adult. Yes, anything bad could happen but do you want to live your life that way?
    Last edited by xzoocrew; 11-02-2005 at 01:33 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast