Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Wink Re: Some hotel questions...

I have only visited WDW once, having lived for over 30 years just a few miles from Disneyland in Anaheim. I stayed at the Contemporary and was very pleased with my accomodations. Clean and comfortable. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept on. The room design is sort of hokey, but who goes to WDW to stay in their room? I had an inside entrance, but a nice veranda overlooking the lake. My only encounter with bugs or critters was a few flying gnats at Epcot. Perhaps I'm not as jaded as some travelers, but I was not disappointed with the room or service.
    Last edited by Mala; 11-02-2005 at 01:43 PM.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Some hotel questions...

Quote Originally Posted by GymLeaderPhil
    If these minor occurances scare you away from Walt Disney World, I cannot fathom how you are even able to leave your house each day.
    Like i said, it was just icing on the cake. Once they give me back the $200 they owe me, I'm looking at a Feb trip that will allow me to go with companions instead of solo.

The $200 hold on your credit card is from your credit card company, not Disney. When you give Disney your CC number, like any other purchase a credit authorization is requested. That puts the hold on your account. If after a few days the CC company does not receive a charge they take the hold away. Quit blaming Disney for the credit card hold, it's your credit card company and their "standard" floor limit or hold limit for purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr
    Quit blaming Disney for the credit card hold, it's your credit card company and their "standard" floor limit or hold limit for purchases.
    Actually, on the 31st it changed from merely a simple authorization (i.e. a hold) to an actual charge, a completed transaction, for the $200 deposit on the canceled trip. I'm giving them one week (until the 7th) to see if a refund drops in and if not then I'll call the number attatched to this payment and kindly ask for aid. Sounds fair enough to me.

I canceled with 47 days until the trip, and they claim a full refund it's over 45 days, so I shouldn't be hit with any cancellation fees, which the person who I canceled with confirmed. For now, I'll just presume they don't move like lightning and wait patiently.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Like i said, it was just icing on the cake. Once they give me back the $200 they owe me, I'm looking at a Feb trip that will allow me to go with companions instead of solo.
    Oh! oh! When in February?! When in February?! I'm going to be there with my family from the 8th through the 13th.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Frankly, the occasional alligator or snake might have even been good free advertising, should it had made the news! Not going to happen, tho. It is a swamp, and, strangely, there aren't that many bugs in the parks. It's kinda weird, almost spooky. Not what I would have expected.

As for where to stay? I'm still working the kinks out of that one.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    Oh! oh! When in February?! When in February?! I'm going to be there with my family from the 8th through the 13th.
    Nearly the same timespan I'm considering.

Right now it's the old hotel question, albeit scaled back to fit my more realistic budget: Less days on a mod property or more days on a value? Perhaps hotel jump part-way through the stay? I can get many nights if I go value, but I hear that the Pop has terrible bus service and the additional time afforded is needed just to get around. I need to start figuring out what I want to do there (don't need to see it all, just what I can't get in Anaheim) so I can decide how many days I need to see it.

I took my girlfriend to AKL for her birthday and we had a ball. The only problem we ran into was the late check-in time...3PM! thos can be a hassle when one lands at the airport at 9am and is at the hotel by 10:30. But the AKL staff did try to make us happy as we waited for our room. They held our bags as we changed at hung by the pool (which I must say is a better than the average type of Disney pool...it is large and if adults want more 'adult' space away from kids, it is easy to do.) I agree that AKL is waiting to be the next WL (which I have stayed at a total of four times and never had a problem with getting my room cleaned.) AKL had great food...at the time we went (6/04) the restaurant meal we had was the best I had at Disney to date. Also...AKL has the animals! It was so cool to wake up and see the animals outside our room. And one more plus...I liked the bar. it was great one night to hang there after a day at MK. Met and had some great conversation with people who were just relaxing after a long day in the parks. Sure the cost was high for a single drink...but I live in a city where one can spend $13 for a screwdriver (Philadelphia.) don't give up...I can say that I thought the price of AKL was well worth it.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by hamletmoo
    I took my girlfriend to AKL for her birthday and we had a ball. The only problem we ran into was the late check-in time...3PM!
    Um... have you ever stayed at a major hotel before? Most major hotels have a check-in time of around 3pm, that is not just a Disney thing. That's to cover their butts on when rooms are supposed to be available.

You CAN do a pre-check-in though, which is where if there is a room available then they can just give that to you... but it's only after a certain time (like 6am, they aren't going to give you a free night if you show up at 12:01am). Otherwise they'll hold your bags while you go off to do whatever. Also, if you pre-check-in then the hotel staff knows to clean your room ASAP since you are already in-house.

Being someone who worked at a hotel... never ever "expect" to be able to check-in and have a room before the stated check-in time (usually 2pm-4pm)... but if there is a room clean and ready for you, then great... you'll be able to get your room early.

• Minion

Nearly the same timespan I'm considering.

Right now it's the old hotel question, albeit scaled back to fit my more realistic budget: Less days on a mod property or more days on a value? Perhaps hotel jump part-way through the stay? I can get many nights if I go value, but I hear that the Pop has terrible bus service and the additional time afforded is needed just to get around. I need to start figuring out what I want to do there (don't need to see it all, just what I can't get in Anaheim) so I can decide how many days I need to see it.
    Cool! Keep us posted on the dates. Maybe we can meet up at some point and at least say hi.

For the resort, we stayed at All Star Music in 2002 and it wasn't bad at all. I think the longest we ever waited for a bus was 10-15 minutes. Other resorts might have shorter wait times, but realistically 15 minutes wasn't bad. The pool was decent there too. Next year, we're going to give Coronado Springs a shot and see how that is. I recommend you check out suitedisney.com for info on resorts. Whoever runs this site does a fantastic job of covering all the little details that most other sites and guide books don't.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

...but I hear that the Pop has terrible bus service and the additional time afforded is needed just to get around...
    Did you get this information from the same people who told you there were spiders as big as your head? I have yet to do Pop, and I don't use the busses anyway. But my impression is that the bus service is better at Pop than at the All Stars, as Pop has its own busses while All Stars has to share theirs between the 2 properties. Others may chime in here, but I wouldn't let those bus rumors deter you.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

I've had about two stays at the All-Star Music... and it wasn't that bad. Room was a bit small but the food court was nice. I just didn't like the massive rudeness of the Brazilian sport camp teens and the cheerleaders that invade the Resort throughout the year that always books up all three All-Stars (and probably now Pop).

Since then I've only wanted to stay in Moderates and higher. For just a little bit more I feel like that I'm staying at a Resort with landscaping and theming that isn't garish or too-over-the-top... nice to have a full-service restaurant on property as well.

Well guys, with the promotion that was offered I decided to stretch my luck and decided to go for a week, alone, at POFQ. This is several hundred dollars more than I had budgeted for this (wanted $700 limit for room/admission, wound up spending a grand) and I'm going to have to live without buying a few toys I wanted for a while (Xbox360 *sniffle.*) However, the idea of staying for a week in something painted up like a McDonalds with kids running around at all hours and "DUH" written in big letters over my door just wasn't that appealing, and the package didn't allow for resort flexibility.

A relative offered to come along and split the cost, which would have been nice if we stayed at the value but this other person didn't want to stay there for the same reason I didn't, so it would have been approx $600 and I'd have the added burden of having to negotiate schedules and meeting times. Also, that person would be arriving from another city and I have no clue if I can arrange Magical Express pickup for two people on two different flights with one reservation.

I hope that's the end of my overboard spending, and I'll want to make the most out of this trip that I can!

--MM
    (currently using the pixie dust high to mentally block the size of the bill)

• Minion

Well guys, with the promotion that was offered I decided to stretch my luck and decided to go for a week, alone, at POFQ. This is several hundred dollars more than I had budgeted for this (wanted $700 limit for room/admission, wound up spending a grand) and I'm going to have to live without buying a few toys I wanted for a while (Xbox360 *sniffle.*) However, the idea of staying for a week in something painted up like a McDonalds with kids running around at all hours and "DUH" written in big letters over my door just wasn't that appealing, and the package didn't allow for resort flexibility.

A relative offered to come along and split the cost, which would have been nice if we stayed at the value but this other person didn't want to stay there for the same reason I didn't, so it would have been approx $600 and I'd have the added burden of having to negotiate schedules and meeting times. Also, that person would be arriving from another city and I have no clue if I can arrange Magical Express pickup for two people on two different flights with one reservation.

I hope that's the end of my overboard spending, and I'll want to make the most out of this trip that I can!

--MM
    (currently using the pixie dust high to mentally block the size of the bill)
    Awesome! Glad to hear you made your decision. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time there.

Would you mind sharing the dates you'll be there? Like I mentioned before, I'll be there with my family 2/8/2006 - 2/14/2006

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Well guys, with the promotion that was offered I decided to stretch my luck and decided to go for a week, alone, at POFQ.
    I'm the king of the single park stormers, and let me tell you, you're gonna have a great time. Park visits with friends or family are great, of course. But there's nothing like being the pilot of your own ship, getting up when you want, visiting whichever park suits your fancy, skipping dining reservations at the last minute if you just don't feel like it (course, it's not often that I don't feel like eating!). The freedom more than makes up for any lonliness that might pang from time to time. It's gonna be a great trip!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast