Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Some hotel questions...

I've only stayed in deluxe hotels & suites... my warning is BE CAREFUL, I love Disney as much as the next person, I go every year, but people forget its a typical hotel - I had a CD player and a gameboy stolen by housekeepers. Make sure you hide your personals!

I've found them dirty, but I stayed in a smoking room once and never once smelled smoke, so at least someone is doing their job right.

Woah, everyone is way critical of the resorts. You get what you pay for, folks. The value resorts are motels, so the rooms open to the outside, but need we forget, this is Florida not Las Vegas. It's 120 in Vegas in summer and it snows every couple years in winter, so indeed they put the hallways on the interior, not to mention that Las Vegas hotels range between 20 and 30 stories. Not many outside hallways in 30 storied buildings. By the way, not one of the Vegas megahotels refers to itself as a "Value Resort," which is disconcerting considering that my bathroom at home is bigger than most rooms at the Mirage or Madalay Bay, and the these are anything but a value. (I don't see the LV/WDW comparison to begin with.) In terms of housekeeping, the issue currently in Florida is a lack of workforce. No one from Disney to Target can keep themselves staffed. It's a worker's market. Jobs are a dime a dozen. Make a phonecall, get a job. This leaves the most unskilled of workers for the most menial tasks (housekeeping); for Disney this means cast members it would ordinarily consider unemployable. Nonetheless, I have personally never had a clealiness issue at WDW.

Regarding TDR, Japan is a whole new world. Comparing WDW to TDR is like comparing the Disneyland of the 1960s to the DLR of today, apples and oranges. Wait until we debate the differences between HKDL and TDR. It's really a cultural thing. In addition, because of TDR's special status as a Disney park, there is never the budgetary restraint that the other resorts encounter. When they're fixing up DL, they're usually neglecting WDW. This does not happen in Japan.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Well guys, with the promotion that was offered I decided to stretch my luck and decided to go for a week, alone, at POFQ. This is several hundred dollars more than I had budgeted for this (wanted $700 limit for room/admission, wound up spending a grand) and I'm going to have to live without buying a few toys I wanted for a while (Xbox360 *sniffle.*) However, the idea of staying for a week in something painted up like a McDonalds with kids running around at all hours and "DUH" written in big letters over my door just wasn't that appealing, and the package didn't allow for resort flexibility.

A relative offered to come along and split the cost, which would have been nice if we stayed at the value but this other person didn't want to stay there for the same reason I didn't, so it would have been approx $600 and I'd have the added burden of having to negotiate schedules and meeting times. Also, that person would be arriving from another city and I have no clue if I can arrange Magical Express pickup for two people on two different flights with one reservation.

I hope that's the end of my overboard spending, and I'll want to make the most out of this trip that I can!

--MM
    (currently using the pixie dust high to mentally block the size of the bill)
    I happen to LOVE the POFQ and it is my favorite resort out of all of them. The size, theme and everything I just adore. I myself have never had a cleaniness issue but with a few hundred rooms that need to get cleaned, I can see why mistakes might be made.

Here are my photos from the last time we stayed there, you can click the first one and hit Next or you can just click the links. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Entrance Sign

Lobby Entrance

Outside Food Court Entrance

Margi Gras Figurines In the Street

Emblem By The Pool

FQ Building From The Water

View From Our Room

Hotel "Street"

Hotel "Street" 2

Hotel Street 3

Pool (My girls loved the dragon slide)

Path to Boats

Boat to DTD (We LOVED this feature)

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebug
    I had a CD player and a gameboy stolen by housekeepers. Make sure you hide your personals!
    iPod and portable DVD player goes in the safe, gotcha.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    Here are my photos from the last time we stayed there, you can click the first one and hit Next or you can just click the links. I hope you have a wonderful time!
    Looks like staying in the residential block of New Orleans Square.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 11-07-2005 at 01:32 PM.

• Been there-Doing it again

The POFQ is a favorite of mine. Make sure you go down the dragon slide once because you WILL do it again. I believe it's Disney's smallest hotel on the property which is nice. If you go to Downtown Disney take the boat they provide because it's a much nicer way to travel than the bus.

• Vacation Club Member

I started going to WDW in 1993 every year from Wisconsin. I moved to NE Florida 5 years ago and live one mile from an alligator farm and a state park. I now go to WDW five or six times per year for long weekends with my family. We have NEVER had a bug, bed, or room problem. We stay at the Boardwalk or beach Club. You can walk back to your room after a nice dinner in the world showcase. You will have a fantastic time if you go in off-season and do some homework about the parks before you go.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Pacha, I didn't see your post up there, but it looks like we're going to just miss one another.

If you get a non-smoking room at POFQ that looks like it might have been in decent shape a week ago before a tornado blew through, well, you probably got my room. Apologies in advance. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by xzoocrew
    The POFQ is a favorite of mine. Make sure you go down the dragon slide once because you WILL do it again.
    I guess I should ask since I don't know Florida weather: Is it really so tropical down there that early Feburary passes as okay for swimming?

If you go to Downtown Disney take the boat they provide because it's a much nicer way to travel than the bus.
    Okay. Good advice, because I figured the boat would be filled with people trying to get to DtD the unique way, and the bus would be a ghost town.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania

Okay. Good advice, because I figured the boat would be filled with people trying to get to DtD the unique way, and the bus would be a ghost town.
    Whenever we took the boat there were people, but it wasn't like you were on top of one another. The boat ride is really nice to, as it is about a 15-20 minute ride. You also get to pass the old treehouse villas that are no longer used and unless they have cleaned it up, you can still see the hurricane damage.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234