Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

• TDR... It gets the love!!

The 3D Shows of WDW

Hi everyone... I was recently thinking about the changing of Honey I Shrunk The Audience to Captain EO over in California, and it got me to thinking about the current state of Disney's 3D shows around WDW. First off, we have Mickey's PhilharMagic over in the Magic Kingdom. Over in Epcot we have Honey I Shrunk The Audience. DHS: Muppet Vision 3D... and finally It's Tough To Be A Bug out in the wild at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

To me, PhilharMagic is Disney's best 3D show and I believe that they should keep that one. But HISTA and Muppet Vision are both getting a bit outdated now, and ITTBAB doesn't really fit into the Animal Kingdom theme in my opinion (and I find it a weak story). So, PhilharMagic: Keep. But what to do with the other three?

Well, first of all I think that ITTBAB should become an immersive documentary of sorts. Not a documentary that you can watch from your sofa, but a really immersive one. Imagine lots of special effects which take you right into undiscovered territory, complete with fog effects and the like. It's all about discovery here.

Muppet Vision. Well, maybe Disney could keep the Muppet theme, but just update the movie to make it a bit more in this 'modern era'. I don't really have any suggestions on this one.

But this brings me to my last point: HISTA. Some people love it, some people hate it. I'm in the latter. This movie really has nothing to do with the Imagination theme in my mind, and is more a show trying to 'showcase' different 4D effects in a short time slot. And in my opinion, this is the primary one Disney should fix. I don't really have any ideas for this one though. A 3D show doesn't really fit here for me. So basically, what are your feelings on the state of these shows, and what are your ideas of how they could be changed?
    Yes. We all know that I am psychic. Don't believe me? Well... I'm sensing that you like Disney. I see that look of bewilderment, hmmm?

Re: The 3D Shows of WDW

I'm in the same faction as you; I can't stand Honey I Shrunk the Audience. It's terrible and preceded by an even lamer twenty minute Kodak commercial that is also only weakly linked to imagination. Surely they could more a more relevant 3D film for the Imagination pavilion.

I love MuppetVision, but it would be nice if they even updated that final scene and put the background people in some modern clothing.

Philharmagic is awesome and doesn't need any updates at this point, but in future, it'd be nice if they could somehow change out new musical sequences.

As for It's Tough to Be a Bug, I rather like it, and I feel like the park needs some sort of 'bug' thing. If they do make it more documentary, as you were saying, I think it would freak a lot of people out; as it is, some people avoid it because of their fear of bugs. Real bugs would make that even more of a problem, I think.
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

• Occasional Reader

I like muppets !

I do like your idea for ITTBAB, but I'd also like to add to it by having multiple versions, where you know what effects might be coming but not when or how, a bit like the Tower of Terror, where there are several ride configurations. Flik and friends could remain in there for me as well, or use common garden creatures as the main "star" to encourage exploration and appreciation of these creatures and their environments once people get back home.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpeedo View Post
    or use common garden creatures as the main "star" to encourage exploration and appreciation of these creatures and their environments once people get back home.
    Pocahontas and Her Forest Friends used to fill that need but now that that's gone... I like the idea, but feel that should be something more unique for under the Tree of Life?
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

I thought I had read somewhere that Muppetvision was getting redone (to coencide with the new Muppet Movie)

• TDR... It gets the love!!

Muppet Vision may be getting redone? Huh. That might be good. I agree with nicoleloveswalt, Muppet Vision I really enjoy as well, just thought it could see a slight refresh maybe, as you stated. ITTBAB is a 'tough' one... because I don't know how Disney would make it. Terrifying, or more like the Captain EO special effects (as in no stings in the back of your seat lol).
    Yes. We all know that I am psychic. Don't believe me? Well... I'm sensing that you like Disney. I see that look of bewilderment, hmmm?

• All-American

I think it was announced at D23 that MuppetVision would be converted to digital projectors. That should help a lot.

As for the show itself, I would say it's not too dated, with the exception of Waldo. He seems to be merely showing off 3D technology, which was new at the time but of course isn't anymore. And some scenes from the show are arguably classic, such as the Salute to All Nations But Mostly America, and the battle between the Swedish Chef and the screen characters. If some of those scenes could be kept alongside some new scenes, I think that would be the best way to go.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I'm not sure how ITTBAB could be considered a bad fit for Animal Kingdom. Bugs are a part of nature, just like lions and gorillas. And they work really well, down in the bottom of a big ol' tree.

I actually still like all of the 3D movies, but I can see how at least a couple of them are a bit long in the tooth. Time for something new to replace HISTA for sure. As big a Muppet fan as I am, it wouldn't break my heart to see that movie get updated.

• Pongo is my hero.

Here's my stance:

ITTBAB- keep it for now, but maybe upgrade and make the "acts" random so you get a new show everytime.

MuppetVision- One of Jim Henson's last projects he worked on before he passed away. Upgrade to digital and don't touch it. It's perfect for me everytime.

PhilharMagic- easily my favorite 3D show- maybe upgrade it in the future to add additional scenes and make it random like Star Tours 2 will be

HISTA- UGH, get it away- all I have to say.

one hundred and one

• Banned User

I'm a sucker for 3D, and haven't seen any of the WDW 3D attractions often enough to be tired of them. Mickey's PhilharMagic is definitely the best, though; that movie is Disney magic, and a great showcase for dazzling 3D graphics. I'll never forget seeing Donald right in front of me in mid-air.

Tough to be a Bug and Muppets are also charmers, and let's not forget that Bug has one of the best AAs in the resort. As for HISTA, I still like it, although I know it's far from the best anymore. That said, I don't understand the hatred for it at MiceChat. I guess it's just worn out its welcome after all these years?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Phillharmagic: It's good and a decent kind of "homage" to the original attraction that was in that theatre, the Mickey Mouse Revue (which I would LOVE to see again in person).

HISTA: BORING! It needs to go. NOW. It was fun the first couple times I saw it, but I skip it altogether now. If they can bring Captain EO back at Disneyland, they can bring it back at EPCOT as well. Even trippy Magic Journeys would be a better replacement.

Muppetvision: I like it how it is now. Actually, I usually just watch the pre-show (the best pre-show EVER) and just cut through the theatre when the doors open.

Bug: Never seen it. Never been to AK and I don't like bugs.

• Mouseketeer

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post

Muppetvision: I like it how it is now. Actually, I usually just watch the pre-show (the best pre-show EVER) and just cut through the theatre when the doors open.
    The pre-show is one of the things they will be updating.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    I think that Pepe is being added to the preshow area.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I love the pre-show how it is! Every time Rizzo comes out dressed as Mickey and says, "Hey they're tourists, what do they know?" I just die laughing because it's so true. Hehe.

I agree with others that HISTA needs to be replaced. I would look forward to a Muppets 3-D remake but one without the WALDO toothpaste makes your teeth grate character. Heh a 3-D version of the Youtube Bohemian Rhapsody would be great. Philharmagic is, in my opinion, the best out of all the 3-D shows. I don't have a problem with It's Tough to be a Bug I like the well themed queue, the location is great, the Animatronic's are well done. I don't see why it should be replaced.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast