Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Animation, Mickey, Pixar, and Streets at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Pictures

My picture threads consist of images I have taken that focus on the architecture, landscape architecture, planning, design, and theming of the facilities highlighted. They may also contain short descriptions and commentary, but will not focus on construction progress or special events or memorabilia or food selections or my traveling companions. Hopefully these threads are a good introduction for those who have not seen these places yet. All killer, no filler!

Animation Courtyard, Mickey Ave., Pixar Place, and Streets of America photographed in February 2008 and January 2010:
    I have artificially subdivided the 8 lands of Disney's Hollywood Studios into three threads because this park is too large to cover thoroughly with one and eight separate threads would be too many. This thread focuses on the four adjoining lands at the back of the park. The park's general theme is dedicated to entertainment production with a major emphasis on movies, although short animation, television, and music are also featured. Major emphasis is also given to Disney productions, but a handful of other studios' work is also highlighted. In general, the front of the park is composed of detailed and realistic settings which gradually gives way to the undetailed soundstage and backlot recreations of an actual studio complex in the back. In the park's early years (it opened in 1989) this back area was used for some real productions but over the years these have become scarce while greater public access and permanent attractions have taken over the area, resulting in a park that has become increasingly unfocused and thematically scatter-brained. Unfortunately, the soundstage architecture and movie set environment was a tired concept from its opening day, having been utilized by another Los Angeles area studio theme park years before. Hopefully, future renovations and additions will transform many of the back areas into more attractive and immersive environments rather than the increasingly irrelevant and mundane production facility look. This is not to say that there are not excellent attractions and facilities here, just that the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts.

ANIMATION COURTYARD:
    Branching off from the end of Hollywood Boulevard, a large formal gateway leads to a formal courtyard surrounded by the three attraction buildings that form this small land.

The Magic of Disney Animation:
    Housed in a nice streamline building on axis with the courtyard and gate, this attraction's bland interior does little justice to its subject matter. It consists of a short theater presentation followed by a few exhibit galleries with interactive kiosks and a window into a live animator's studio.

Voyage of the Little Mermaid:
    A live show with a combination of film, live actors, and puppets.

Playhouse Disney - Live On Stage!
    An indoor theater for a live show (interior not pictured here).

MICKEY AVE.:
    This small land is composed of two attractions: one is a temporary exhibit and small show space (currently housing Journey Into Narnia: Prince Caspian) and the other is a tribute to the company's founder. Together with the next two lands, this was formerly an area only shown on the backlot tour and used for actual productions; the piecemeal nature of the facilities illustrates the challenge in repurposing the area to open it up for additional attractions and access.

Walt Disney: One Man's Dream
    This is a walk-through exhibit that details Walt Disney's history in the entertainment industry as well as a partial history of Walt Disney World. The exhibit rooms end in a theater that further illuminates the subject.

PIXAR PLACE:
    This small land is currently dedicated to only one Pixar film franchise, 'Toy Story'. It is by far the most modern of the park's recreated buildings, being inspired by the style of the real studio gate and complex in Emeryville in Northern California. Overlaying these elements are some three-dimensional characters and details from the films. It consists of one attraction on one side of its small thoroughfare and a small shop and food stand and character room on the other side.

Hey Howdy Hey Take Away:
    A small food stand.

Toy Story Midway Mania:
    This is a gentle interactive indoor ride (interior not pictured).

STREETS OF AMERICA:
    The least satisfactory land in terms of visual attractiveness, this one defines the schizophrenia of the park.

Studio Catering Co.:
    Anyone found enjoying this large counter-service eatery in a desolate unthemed shed should be shown the door to a lesser theme park.

Studio Backlot Tour:
    This attraction begins with a walk-through section of several special effects demonstrations and ends with a ride on a large tram through a few backlot areas and an outdoor special effects demonstration called Catastrophe Canyon. The attraction was once much more extensive and relevant with a working studio in its midst, but now the productions are mostly gone and much of the area opened up to foot traffic resulting in a shorter tour.

Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show:
    A large part of the open backlot has been turned into a massive stadium and European village 'film set' that serves as the stage for this loud stunt car and jetski show.

Honey, I Shrunk The Kids Movie Set Adventure:
    This simulated movie set of giant props forms a play area that is a good marraige of the theme of the films and a wonderland of exploration.

Streets of America:
    Several backlot streets with New York City and San Francisco themes of facades have been opened up to pedestrian access and feature a few food and souvenir stands.

Muppetvision 3D:
    Another soundstage building, this one adorned with character details, houses this 3D film theater.

Pizza Planet:
    This combination pizza cafe and arcade is themed to characters from the 'Toy Story' films and is located nowhere near the 'Toy Story' themed Pixar Place.

Studio Water Tower:
    Another icon of the park, this one is located behind the back of the park.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by geomorph; 03-02-2010 at 04:06 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

Re: Animation, Mickey, Pixar, and Streets at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Pictures

Sweet!
    How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?

• far, far away from DL

Re: Animation, Mickey, Pixar, and Streets at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Pictures

Nice pictures!

• Occasional Reader

love the last one !
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

Excellent pics - I'm making my first trip there after an almost 20 hear absence. Those pics are really wetting my appetite!

• First Time Disneylander

Thanks you for these threads! They just make my day and make me really excited to visit! Great pics too, by the way!
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

After seeing these pictures they make me want to devote more time to this park on my next trip. There's so much to see and do at this park that I feel like I'm missing out on so much when I just focus on the rides.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Senior Minion

I just came back from WDW and missed quite a bit of Hollywood Studios ... but looking at your pictures I can see where I want to venture next time I go.

Thanks for all the compliments!

• Golden State of Mind

Nice Pics!
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

The last one was amazing. I love sunset pictures, the color of the sky just makes them all so interesting to look at.

• Happy Haunt

Great pics! Where were you at for that last picture?

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Very nice shots! Nice Backlot Tour pics!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Nice pics! They make me anxious to go back!!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

The last pic of the water tower was taken from the raised entry terrace of the theater that shows Beauty and the Beast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast