Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• cp alumni spring adv 03

last summer we got stopped in journey into your imagination with figment...it was the scene where figment's foot prints travel up and over the vehicle. the lights came on immediately.

we were there for a good 15 minutes or so until things got moving, first with the lights on and then with the lights off. it was cool seeing how that scene worked. from that point on, however, nothing matched up...the sound and effects were "off".

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

California Screamin, on top of a hill about half way through. We got to climb down a ladder under the hill and come out next to the midway games.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tech_Disney
    My goals are to be evacuated from PotC (but only in the scene with the Pirate ship shooting at the fort), Haunted Mansion, Indiana Jones, Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, and Peter Pan.
    I just found out that they don't evacuate people from Peter Pan. Is this true? And if so, what happens if the ride breaks down?

Last edited by Pirate Wench; 04-26-2005 at 08:16 PM.

Last edited by Pirate Wench; 04-26-2005 at 08:17 PM.

• Channeling Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Wench
    Now that would be interesting!
    I don't know SOP for Pirates, but I suspect that, rather than evacing from that scene, they'd try to push the boats to a show scene where you could more easily climb out.

Land Boats (Listen to the Land/Living with the Land) had a similar arrangement for the Tropical Rainforest. What they obviously didn't count on is that the boats weigh easily five to ten times what the Pirates boats do and are extremely difficult to push even with traction on a dry surface (been there, done that). There's no way you could get that kind of traction standing in the water. And, barring a fire or other serious emergency where guests' (or my) lives were in danger, there's no way I would have gotten in that water!

SOPs--and even more so evac procedures, it would seem--are apparently written by people who've never worked the rides and don't have a good sense of how they actually work.

On a related note, I worked on a testing crew for Malestrom before it opened, and the engineers (contractors, I believe, not WDI) remarked that "We don't have any way of evacuating this ride". That's a good one to hear two weeks before opening!
    G7

It's your future. Make it a great one.
    http://planet7.org/

Last edited by Pirate Wench; 04-26-2005 at 08:21 PM.

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

I don't think that that water would be nasty because all it is is a dye in the water. That is what makes it look, and smell, that way.
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

Last edited by Pirate Wench; 04-26-2005 at 08:22 PM.

• Channeling Walt

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyKyle
    I don't think that that water would be nasty because all it is is a dye in the water. That is what makes it look, and smell, that way.
    In Jungle, there is muck at the bottom, which I understand can be pretty nasty. Being Florida, there's also the potential danger of Water Moccasins (very poisonous water snakes) in the water. I heard a rumor of Water Moccasins in the Pirates flume as well, but that seems much less likely to me.

In any of the water-based rides, there are plenty of chemicals to condition the water, potentially run-off of industrial chemicals, plus whatever guests have dumped in it (including urine).

I wouldn't want to be in it, either.
    G7

• Channeling Walt

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyKyle
    Hmm... I'm trying to think what smell you're talking about. The only smells I remember from Disney water rides are a musty smell (that's mildew, not a special effect!) and bleach (from the chlorine added to the water). Are you talking about something else??
    G7

• Banned User

i don't think that Disney would put their staff and guests in danger of getting sick from being in water, so it probably is safe enough to swim in.

• Channeling Walt

i don't think that Disney would put their staff and guests in danger of getting sick from being in water, so it probably is safe enough to swim in.
    I guess "safe" is a relative term. Disney does all kinds of things that have made their employees sick. Ask anyone who's ever worked Land Boats. And don't you remember the record fine that the EPA imposed on Disney for improper storage and handling of chemicals? I don't know specifically that anyone got sick from that, but it was a very, very bad situation. They've also dumped raw sewage into Reedy Creek, and more. It's all a matter of public record.

Take a look at this awesome site for 20K. Former 20K CMs talk about the water there, among other things.

http://www.20kride.com/
    Last edited by Planet7; 02-28-2005 at 07:23 PM.
    G7

• Banned User

improper storage is a lot different than forcing CMs and guests who may fall in to swim in sewage.

• Channeling Walt

improper storage is a lot different than forcing CMs and guests who may fall in to swim in sewage.
    I'm not talking about a couple of paint cans here, I'm talking about 55-gallon drums of highly toxic chemicals. Many were unlabeled, so they had no idea what they were handling or storing together. Some chemicals, when placed in close proximity to one another, can spontaneously explode. That was one of the concerns in the EPA citation. Some barrels were leaking, leading to possible toxic chemical exposure.

As to the water rides, I never said that guests or CMs were exposed to sewage per se, but guests (children in particular) have been known to urinate into water rides. I've witnessed it myself while working at Land Boats. Urine is sterile, but I wouldn't want to swim in it.

I don't know the specifics of the sewage discharge into Reedy Creek (it was reported years ago on ABC's PrimeTime Live; you'll never see that report again, now that Disney owns ABC), but guests do indeed swim in bodies of water (Bay Lake, Seven Seas Lagoon) which are fed by Reedy Creek.

I'm not bashing Disney here, I'm just being realistic that they're not as squeaky-clean as everyone would like to believe. They can be as careless as any other company, sometimes more so.
    G7

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast