Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How would you update the last scene of the CoP?

Here's a project for you Armchair Imagineers...update the final scene of the Caroussel of Progress. How would you go about it? Would you use all the animatronics in the current finale? How far in the future would you go?I've been thinking about an update, but i haven't been inspired yet. What have you got?

• The Study of Wumbo

Re: How would you update the last scene of the CoP?

I'd say bring it back to something more along the lines of the original attraction, from the Fair or Disneyland. At this point, the majority of the appeal of the attraction for guests is its classic status, its nostalgia, and its connection to Walt. Instead of trying to keep with the times and keep extending the gap between the last two scenes to a ridiculous degree, they should bring in something to really tie the show together as Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress.

It would be cool if they brought back something like the post-show from the Fair or Disneyland.

I could see these changes happening one day.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Metro-Retro Historian

The original Carousel of Progress spanned 60 years at 20 year intervals. Since that time the first three scenes have stayed basically the same while the final scene has been updated to reflect modern times. In the year 2024, the carousel will have been running for 60 years. The same amount of time it originally depicted. Therefore, instead of just updating the final scene, I would propose an entirely new show.

The new Carousel of Progress would depict the 1960s, 1980s, 2000s, and what will then be the modern era. The first three scenes would be based on the ones that appeared as finales in the original show.

The final change I would make would be to construct the stages in such a way that they can be easily moved. The reason for this is that this new show is intended to be ongoing and regularly updated. Every 20 years, the first scene would be removed, the remaining three scenes would be slid down one space, and a new finale would be added. This way, the Carousel of Progress will always be a look back at the past 60 years and a glimpse into the near future.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    The original Carousel of Progress spanned 60 years at 20 year intervals. Since that time the first three scenes have stayed basically the same while the final scene has been updated to reflect modern times. In the year 2024, the carousel will have been running for 60 years. The same amount of time it originally depicted. Therefore, instead of just updating the final scene, I would propose an entirely new show.

The new Carousel of Progress would depict the 1960s, 1980s, 2000s, and what will then be the modern era. The first three scenes would be based on the ones that appeared as finales in the original show.

The final change I would make would be to construct the stages in such a way that they can be easily moved. The reason for this is that this new show is intended to be ongoing and regularly updated. Every 20 years, the first scene would be removed, the remaining three scenes would be slid down one space, and a new finale would be added. This way, the Carousel of Progress will always be a look back at the past 60 years and a glimpse into the near future.
    I don't know if I agree... That would make it the Carousel of Progress, not Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress. Would you put new songs in Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room?

Maybe leave an updated, classic, nostalgic version for Walt Disney World and put in a new, re-imagined version at Disneyland (or vice-versa.)
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• All-American

In my proposed renovation for Disneyland's Tomorrowland (see link in signature), I proposed a new Carousel of Progress using the current turn-of-the-century scene, but then going to the 1940s scene, representing the mid-20th century. Then there would be a 1990s scene, representing the advent of the internet and digital cameras, and then concluding with a much more far-off future than the present one, so it wouldn't be dated as easily. This would showcase the entire 20th century instead of just the first half, and would eliminate the huge historical gap that's in the present.

• Occasional Reader

You've clearly at some point got to update the lot. I love the design of the attraction and the way it solved the capacity issues. rather than take dates, and make it fit that way, I'd take "things" and look at how they've changed over the years, so long as the overall fit looks the part you could let actual dates slide if required.
    The obvious that comes to mind as having 4 "ages" is photography. Plates, film, polaroid & digital. you could make that fit 4 time periods as required.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

I'd first give the CoP a backstory......(sort of). Since Tomorrowland is a sci fi community, I'd makeover the entire building with the 1994 sci fi look. Then, I'd enclose the preshow and create a new 5 minute film done by the Tomorrowland Metro Retro Historical Society, telling about who they are and how they acquired the CoP and that is was created by a great legend on Earth called Walt Disney for the 1964 NY World's Fair, and it is currently on display in Tomorrowland before it goes off to tour the rest of the galaxy to show what human life on earth is like.

Inside the load theater, the stage would now house a new version of GE's kaleidophonic screens that greeted guests in both NY and at Disneyland. A brand new full piece orchestral recording of "beautiful tomorrow" along with new light and sound technology would be seen and heard.

Then the theatre rotates to the 1890s,the 1920s, and the 1940s...each of these scenes are original (for the most part) to the walt disney created version of the ride....if we scrap these scenes in favor of different decades, we completely destroy what is left that walt had a part in creating.

I'd then turn Act IV into the original 1960s scene as close as possible, and have the new cast reading off of a modified world's fair script for act's 1-4.....then by taking the unload theater and turning it into a working stage....the tomorrowland metro retro historical society then gives guests their vision of a possible future....showing the entire family I'd say in the next 10-15 years....that way this scene can always be updated when need be, never effecting the walt disney world's fair version....and when a new cast of voices is needed to record from a new ending script, they also record the set in stone acts1-4 script as well so their voices remain consistent throughout the ride. Then the theater rotates into the load theater which will also become unload....just like philarmagic where guests enter from one door and exit out the other in the same theater.

• Minion

ORWEN: Well, I would update the show by having the entire family homeless due to foreclosure. They would be living in tents out in the wilderness instead of that former, comfortable living room you used to see them living in. Grandma and Grandpa wouldn't be seen any more because they must have gone to that big carrousel of progress in the sky. Mom and Dad would be wearing torn clothing and and look as old as Grandma and Grandpa used to look. The teenagers would be middle-aged and haggard looking as they scraped and bowed to snatch up whatever morsels of food left on the ground outside their tents. (There would actually be a tent city off in the distance.) A new song would replace both 'Now is the Time' and 'Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow'. Instead there would be a remake of 'Brother Can You Spare a Dime?' with a more hip and edge beat to it. There would be spy planes flying over head with chemtrails coming from their exhaust. There would be political signs all over the place promoting National Health Care and a one world government. The whole thing would be too truthful for a fantasy based theme park but, then, Disney World might not even exist by this time, anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by witches of morva View Post
    orwen: Well, i would update the show by having the entire family homeless due to foreclosure. They would be living in tents out in the wilderness instead of that former, comfortable living room you used to see them living in. Grandma and grandpa wouldn't be seen any more because they must have gone to that big carrousel of progress in the sky. Mom and dad would be wearing torn clothing and and look as old as grandma and grandpa used to look. The teenagers would be middle-aged and haggard looking as they scraped and bowed to snatch up whatever morsels of food left on the ground outside their tents. (there would actually be a tent city off in the distance.) a new song would replace both 'now is the time' and 'great big beautiful tomorrow'. Instead there would be a remake of 'brother can you spare a dime?' with a more hip and edge beat to it. There would be spy planes flying over head with chemtrails coming from their exhaust. There would be political signs all over the place promoting national health care and a one world government. The whole thing would be too truthful for a fantasy based theme park but, then, disney world might not even exist by this time, anyway!
    lol...wut?

• Shubisha

laser beams

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: Well, I would update the show by having the entire family homeless due to foreclosure. They would be living in tents out in the wilderness instead of that former, comfortable living room you used to see them living in. Grandma and Grandpa wouldn't be seen any more because they must have gone to that big carrousel of progress in the sky. Mom and Dad would be wearing torn clothing and and look as old as Grandma and Grandpa used to look. The teenagers would be middle-aged and haggard looking as they scraped and bowed to snatch up whatever morsels of food left on the ground outside their tents. (There would actually be a tent city off in the distance.) A new song would replace both 'Now is the Time' and 'Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow'. Instead there would be a remake of 'Brother Can You Spare a Dime?' with a more hip and edge beat to it. There would be spy planes flying over head with chemtrails coming from their exhaust. There would be political signs all over the place promoting National Health Care and a one world government. The whole thing would be too truthful for a fantasy based theme park but, then, Disney World might not even exist by this time, anyway!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Well I'd love for the dad to stop burning the dam dinner!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

I'd keep as is, but set the final scene, instead of in the future, just set it in the present. It's useless trying to affect some view of the future, it'll be wrong and go out of date in a month. We don't have talking ovens.

I've always loved how each section represented a different holiday, I hope that if it gets overhauled, that doesn't get lost.
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

Grandma sure loves her VR Goggles, I wonder how much time she spends in Second Life? LOL
    Last edited by Trekkie313; 03-15-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    In my proposed renovation for Disneyland's Tomorrowland (see link in signature), I proposed a new Carousel of Progress using the current turn-of-the-century scene, but then going to the 1940s scene, representing the mid-20th century. Then there would be a 1990s scene, representing the advent of the internet and digital cameras, and then concluding with a much more far-off future than the present one, so it wouldn't be dated as easily. This would showcase the entire 20th century instead of just the first half, and would eliminate the huge historical gap that's in the present.
    This was my thoughts as well, re: CoP. Go with era's instead. The Turn of the Century, the Industrial Revolution, The Space Age, and the Communication Renaissance. In each stage, we can still have the same song and family, Dad can still find new and creative ways to burn dinner. Each scene would have comedic references to what the visionaries of the future "thought" was on the horizon as well as what was actually new for that era. Dad would burn dinner in the first scene, something that hopefully technology would help him with down the road. Aside from the first stage where dad burns dinner, each subsequent scene would feature dad.... "and now with the Advent of _____ I never have to worry about burning dinner....." WRONG Cue song, and rotate to next scene. But here is where I differ from some.... There are six stages on CoP, the first and last being identical. So I would load and unload from the same stage instead of the current system where they load from scene one and unload from scene two. I *think* this is how America Sings worked as well but even if not, pretty sure it could work, and if so, I would as the fifth scene of what is on the horizon, which is always hard to predict but fun for an audience to see OR have a big musical number that rehashes the four prior scenes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast