• Tour Ready

Carousel Of Progress and Disney Them Parks Museumification

Just one year ago people complained of a tired old Disney Attraction from the early sixties that Disney seemed to purposly neglect. This attraction was one of Walt's Great achievments but was lacking mantenece and looking shabby. Management considered closing it for good because of dwindling attendance. It open after the park did and closed early in the evening. No one seemed to be able to get into a showing...

Then miraculously someone decided to give this attraction a little TLC and after much needed rehabilitation this once "dated" and "hokey" attraction became a star again! This is of course Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room! And it continues to pack them in 1963 humor and all!

The Carousel Of Progress, one of Walt's GREATEST attractions sits in disrepair. It suffers from low numbers and strange operating hours. If someone gives it the same care they gave to the tiki room, it could once again be a must see in Tomorrowland.

Many complain that Disneyland isn't and shouldnt be a museum, but some things are sooo classic that they have to remain! You cant bulldoze Main Street and rebuild it an street of a different time period. You cant get rid of Pirates or the Haunted Mansion... These are Disney Hallmarks that have to remain to keep the parks true to their spirit. So what if we keep one or two of Walt's attraction indefinatly. The Tiki Room is Proof that with proper care any great attraction can last the test of time! The Magic Kingdom souldnt be a Museum but it should respect and preserve some of it's legacy!

So Please Take Care of The Carousel... Its message of an Optomistic future through Progress is one of Walt's Greatest gifts to future generations! Lets not loose it in the name of Progress...

Re: Carousel Of Progress and Disney Them Parks Museumification

Quote Originally Posted by WDI33
    Just one year ago people complained of a tired old Disney Attraction from the early sixties that Disney seemed to purposly neglect. This attraction was one of Walt's Great achievments but was lacking mantenece and looking shabby. Management considered closing it for good because of dwindling attendance. It open after the park did and closed early in the evening. No one seemed to be able to get into a showing...

Then miraculously someone decided to give this attraction a little TLC and after much needed rehabilitation this once "dated" and "hokey" attraction became a star again! This is of course Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room! And it continues to pack them in 1963 humor and all!

The Carousel Of Progress, one of Walt's GREATEST attractions sits in disrepair. It suffers from low numbers and strange operating hours. If someone gives it the same care they gave to the tiki room, it could once again be a must see in Tomorrowland.

Many complain that Disneyland isn't and shouldnt be a museum, but some things are sooo classic that they have to remain! You cant bulldoze Main Street and rebuild it an street of a different time period. You cant get rid of Pirates or the Haunted Mansion... These are Disney Hallmarks that have to remain to keep the parks true to their spirit. So what if we keep one or two of Walt's attraction indefinatly. The Tiki Room is Proof that with proper care any great attraction can last the test of time! The Magic Kingdom souldnt be a Museum but it should respect and preserve some of it's legacy!

So Please Take Care of The Carousel... Its message of an Optomistic future through Progress is one of Walt's Greatest gifts to future generations! Lets not loose it in the name of Progress...
    I just dont agree COP is open most days and has been for a while it doesnt have strange operating hours at all where do you get this from?
    I like COP it's very Kitch and that is the problem, not many people want to go and see a Kitch attraction. COP isn't like the other attractions built at the same time they were not built date specific and are timeless therefore stand the test of time that COP has not and will not.
    As for your final line that COP is one of greatests gifts to future generations! what??? I hardly think so it was a built for GE as an advert so I don't think dear old uncle Walt would agree. It was moved to Disneyland as it was a filler for the park and suspect GE paid for most if not all of it, so Walt got a good deal.
    They are no doubt monitoring numbers as its been open regular hours for along time, if you want to save it dont moan online how it should be saved go out and visit it. Attractions with long lines have more chance of lasting the test of time than ones with short lines but loads of people moaning on about saving it online.
    If it does get saved I think the end scene would have to go as the gap between the 60's and future are too huge plus we dont look to the future as much as we did in the past, so lets look at the past and change the last scene and see how great the human race is and how the power of imagination has changed our lives beond our wildest dreams now thats progress!

• no flash photography...

there are to many museum attraction in DL now. All of babyland/fantasyland needs to be upgraded. I don't really get the dark rides. They are loud, bright, and so low tech. The scenes don't really make sense. I sure don't understand any part of the story from riding those rides. I think they should totally rehaul one of them...say a low numbers one like snow white or pinochio. Put some new technology in and see how people like a newer version. If it's a hit eventually bring all the other ones up to date. If people don't like it it's not a big deal...those rides never have lines now...........the pooh ride in japan is kind of whats in mind by newer technology....you kow something more than flourecent paint and cardboard.

as for COP...I've never seen it and would not miss it....

• ROFLCOPTER

COP should be in Epcot..
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Maybe it's just that COP's time has come. Even with updates it's gonna eventually be dated again, again, and again.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    there are to many museum attraction in DL now.
    He's talking about WDW.

I don't really get the dark rides. They are loud, bright, and so low tech.
    The alternative is a bunch of movie theaters (movies, movies in 3D, movies in IMAX, movie simulators, etc) or a bunch of coasters.

Anyhoo, it's almost CoP's time pretty soon, I'd imagine. Contrary to the OP, I think it'd be silly to keep, past it's freshness date, a ride whose moral is "everything is eventually replaced by something even better." Kind of goes against the moral, right?

Still, perhaps they should ask DL if they want it before it's scrapped, as their Carousel building is still a useless embarassment in it's current state. That and the two resorts share very different audiences, so there may be a bunch of Californians/west-coasters who would want to see the CoP return "home."

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    He's talking about WDW.

yes I know...and I was talking about DL.... ....

maybe they should make a park full of all the old school attractions that they want to take out. That way people can still go and relive their childhood memories and the parks can stay fresh...

the alternate would not be movie theaters and coaters....think outside the box a bit......there are so many other options

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by uklad79
    I just dont agree COP is open most days and has been for a while it doesnt have strange operating hours at all where do you get this from?
    For a long while, yes, it was open every day with normal hours. This started when Alien Encounter went down and continued up until quite recently. However, recently (1 or 2 months ago), they put CoP back on seasonal mode. This means that it will only be open in peak times and will have strange hours (like maybe 11-6).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney