Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: Fantasmic @ Rivers of America

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    I see Speedway's point, though. Peter Pan is much better than Pochontas.
    But the Peter Pan sequence works so well only because they had a pre-existing platform (the Columbia) to stage it on. Does anyone see Disney building another Columbia for this?

It may be a fun exercise, but there just isn't any way that this is going to happen for the rather esoteric reason that we (us uber-fans) would like it better in the MK.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Why would they move it? At MGM they have an out of the way place where everything can be stored and staged, while people can sit happily and wait and buy toys and food. It's always happier guests who know what areas are open to watch the show, especially in one designed so everythng can be seen form all the spots as opposed to the RoA where guest 2 rows back could see nothing. At the Magic Kingdom it'd be a nightmare with the park having such little open space around the river, it'd be fights over the spots to watch. Plus there is that problem stated about the Utilidors. They can't just dig down 80 feet into Florida's river bed to hide things.

Plus I'd rather see the 80 million be spent on something new rather than moving Fantasmic to a worse viewing spot.

• Banned User

Case in point--- sure, do this if you have an unlimited budget and want to confuse everyone.

Otherwise, keep Fantasmic! right where it is.

You're a good guy Speedway, but this is just like a "what if?" thing that has no merit. That's like "What if they move the Carousel of Progress to the Haunted Mansion and have Old Uncle Orville come out of the bathroom and scare you? It may be a great idea (okay, bad example) but it has no merit. Sorry.

• HollywoodsNewestSensation

Thumbs down Re: Fantasmic @ Rivers of America

Lest we forget, the walkways in the pre-Fantasmic New Orleans Square was NOTHING like they are now. They spent millions of dollars to remodel that entire area to create the multi-level, slanted thing (which is also what happened to Small World Mall for Light Magic). And to do the same to the Magic Kingdom's Rivers of America would be just as daunting.

Pocahontas, Lion King, and cheap steamboats aside, the reason Fantasmic does NOT work at the Studios is BECAUSE of its location. The reason for having the water elements is because the Disneyland show was designed to take place ON the river. Building a stadium for the show in Florida eliminates the motivation for the water elements in the first place ("Why is there a random stream in here?"). It might as well just all be a flat stage with rolling parade floats instead of barges.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

^ said perfectly! The stadium does not work!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by TweedlDum9
    Lest we forget, the walkways in the pre-Fantasmic New Orleans Square was NOTHING like they are now. They spent millions of dollars to remodel that entire area to create the multi-level, slanted thing (which is also what happened to Small World Mall for Light Magic). And to do the same to the Magic Kingdom's Rivers of America would be just as daunting.

Pocahontas, Lion King, and cheap steamboats aside, the reason Fantasmic does NOT work at the Studios is BECAUSE of its location. The reason for having the water elements is because the Disneyland show was designed to take place ON the river. Building a stadium for the show in Florida eliminates the motivation for the water elements in the first place ("Why is there a random stream in here?"). It might as well just all be a flat stage with rolling parade floats instead of barges.
    What!?!

1. Fantasmic does NOT work at the studios? Since when? are people not goint there? I worked there for a year and every night was pretty well attended, many shows filling completely up in peak season.

2. Yeah, I personally like the disneyland version of the SHOW better, but I like the overall experience at MGM better. You don't have to sit on hard cobbled ground smooshed up next to strangers for hours on end to get a view that is not obstruted by someones head, stroller, or a tree. instead you sit in a nice theater with food and beverage avalible, no one blocking your view, if you need to go to the bathroom while you wait you don't have to hurtle over sleeping grandmas, there is preshow music, special merch areas that don't take up viewing space, entertainment provided by the op and merch cms.... it's fantastic!

3. What does the rivers of America offer to the STORY of fantasmic? Do all of Mickey's dreams occur in the South? The lake in Fantasmic is just as understandable as the river in Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, or any theme park for that matter.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    What!?!
    Agreed. I think what TeedlDum9 is trying to say is that the water-based presentation for the original F! show was designed out of necessity, because they decided to do something with the Rivers at night. Whereas at MGM, they operated in reverse and built a river because the show called for it. I don't think that really detracts from it in any way, though.

I mean, Space Mountain was built because of the necessity of the Florida weather. They wanted to bring the Matterhorn experience to WDW but the rain wouldn't allow for an outdoor coaster. With TweedlDum9's logic, Space Mountain "does NOT work" at Disneyland because there's no necessity to having the coaster in the dome instead of outside.

• white and nerdy

? ?

are we agreeing MickeyMania?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

We are. Building an outdoor arena for Fantasmic isn't nearly as inventive use of property as it is in DL, but it doesn't ruin the show. It makes about as much sense as a covered coaster in SoCal.

Hey, quick question...What are the differences between the DL Fantasmic and the WDW Fantasmic? I remember reading about it coming soon last time I was there and seeing that they had the cobra Jafar in it. Can someone just go down on the differences for my sake?

Most the changes are small potatoes stuff except for the Jafar snake in place of the Jungle Book segment, Lion King(?) taking Pink Elephants' spot, and a Pocahontas battle on a hill replacing the Peter Pan segment (no Columbia, obviously.)

The most common complaint about WDW's version is that the boat used at the end is nowhere near as pretty as the Mark Twain, but the budgets weren't the same since the boat in WDW exists only to be rolled around in the show.

The DL show, OTOH lacks these elements:
    * Beer
    * People sitting down

I can understand why so many Disneyheads complain about how the two versions don't compare. There is a ton of so-called "Disney Magic" in how the River, the boats, TS' Island, etc lead a double-life as theme park attractions by day and a crime-stopping force to be reckoned with by night. While that ability was incredible for it's time, though, it's slowly becoming passe now, and people who don't remember the river before Fantasmic probably don't care.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by TweedlDum9
    ...the reason Fantasmic does NOT work at the Studios is BECAUSE of its location...
    Your comments about the terraced viewing area were spot on, but I don't agree with the above at all. As others have pointed out, Fantasmic! absolutely DOES work in D/MGM, and is consistently solidly packed. But the reasons I like the DL version better have nothing to do with the location.

I have 3 problems with the Florida version. Since they didn't have access to a Columbia, they instead did a Pocahontas segment on the island. Even though I think some elements of this segment are done well, it just doesn't have the punch of seeing the Columbia sailing by with pirates and Peter flying all over the rigging of the ship. Second, as mentioned, the boat from Steamboat Mickey is a sad replacement for the beautiful Mark Twain. And finally, the pacing of this show is really choppy, with a lot of jumps back and forth between film and live, and way too much film during the segment when Disney characters float up inside of bubbles - they just seem to go on and on forever!!!

I like the amphitheater and the seating, and can usually find a pretty good seat even 30 minutes before showtime. But I've not once felt the thrill of perfection after a DL show. The MGM version still isn't bad, but nowhere near as cool as the SoCal version.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    You're a good guy Speedway, but this is just like a "what if?" thing that has no merit. That's like "What if they move the Carousel of Progress to the Haunted Mansion and have Old Uncle Orville come out of the bathroom and scare you? It may be a great idea (okay, bad example) but it has no merit. Sorry.
    I wasn't really trying to gain merit, sorry if it came across that way. And yes, that is all it is, a "what if?". Nothing more, nothing less, and it was never meant to be portrayed as anything else. I don't necessarily want Fantasmic! at the Magic Kingdom, there is nothing wrong with it's current location if you ask me, I was just pondering the thought. < That smiley is the closest smiley there is to correctly portraying my current facial expression, yet still not close enough.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Disney Memory Maker

Before I make this post, note that I have seen the DMGM version in person and the DL version only by video.

Even if a RoA show would work, they would never do it. Why spend all that money to "fix" it if it isn't broke? During the summer and peak months, Fantasmic is filled up for the 1st performance and is at least half full for the second.

IMO, I think the DMGM version is better. The amphitheater and mountain were created specifically for the show and just seem more magical. To me, nothing can beat seeing the final scene at DMGM (where Sorcerer Mickey is on top of the mountain). I also love the Pocahontas scene. I love the beautiful transitions between the settler parts and the native american parts. The cannon shot in the begining is perfect and the way that scene ends provides a seemless transition into the following scene. I also really like the steamboat at the end. To me, it makes sense that Steamboat Willie would be piloting....a steamboat (and not a full riverboat). It just seems much more appropriate to me. The only thing I don't like about DMGM's fantamic is the 20+ minutes of the Wave everyone is obligated to do before the show.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Former Epcot CM

Huh!? Fantasmic without the pre-show wave is like... bagel without cream cheese! UNREAL!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California