Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Former Epcot CM

Fantasmic @ Rivers of America

Would Fantasmic work in the Magic Kingdom, in the Rivers of America, like at Disneyland?

You obviously wouldn't get as many people watching it as the 9,000 capacity Hollywood Hills Amphitheatre, but I wouldn't mind seeing the show in it's original format - with the Pocahontas scenes and all, but using the Liberty Belle at the end etc.

While we are talking about Pocahontas, I found the scenes fit the show perfectly actually. I am on about the Disneyland diehards who criticise MGM's version for using more up-to-date characters that do not share the place in peoples hearts, as say, Peter Pan - yes, Peter Pan is soooooooooo much more famous, but the theme of the actual scenes that are portrayed are actually quite moving (Colours of the Wind, the Grandmother Oak). Yes, they could lay off the monstrous head that the Lord man wears, and the battle scenes are quite odd, especially as the film isn't very popular and/or famous.

Anyway, that little rant about Pocahontas has nothing to do with what I wanted to say.

They could take Fantasmic down for a few months, and devise a brand new show for the Amphitheatre - not necessarily at night but I think its more special going to see a night show when the park has closed - while editing the more loose parts of Fantasmic, and adapting it for the Magic Kingdom. I think it would be amazing at the MK, and they could use parts from Disneyland, such as Ursula etc. They could show it 15min before/after the fireworks, yes that would make for awful congestion in the entire left side of the park - Liberty Square, Adventureland, Frontierland, maybe even Cinderella Castle - but it would make for memorable nights at the MK especially with SpectroMagic as well.

In fact, they could show SpectroMagic, then show Fantasmic. That would loosen up congestion in Main Street, as people would clue on to the fact that the parade starts in Frontierland (oops no it doesn't, thats Share a Dream, but they could start it in Frontierland) so they would watch the parade then grab a place for the show, or people waiting for the show could watch the parade while waiting.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Monorail Racer

Re: Fantasmic @ Rivers of America

I don't know...it's a big draw at the Studios and moving that as yet another great night-time entertainment show while having to come up with a new show for the Studios doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It would be interesting to see it happen, but logistically I'm not sure it would be a very good idea.

• Minion

Somewhere at WDWMagic, someone had the idea of Fantasmic being staged on RoA near the Haunted Mansion with seating near the Mansion's ride building(though it would obviously have to be camoflaged).

• e komo mai

I see Speedway's point, though. Peter Pan is much better than Pochontas. Also, the steamboat they have for the WDW show looks like it's going to fall apart at any moment. Although, it does add a level of suspense for the finale.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I don't think it can actually be done well. Where would all of equipement be hidden?

• Former Epcot CM

Where are they hidden at Disneyland?
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

Being that I know the creator of Fantasmic!... I think it's safe enough to say that it wouldn't work in WDW's Magic Kingdom due to the parade route in WDW... but why are we talking about this?

Pochantas, Aladdin, and Lion King are in the show because they didn't exist in the Disneyland version, and Eisner wanted to bring the show up to date.

And that boat in WDW... yeah, you're right that it looks like it's about to fall down. Not that it is, I mean it's structurally sound, but it was built very cheaply. lol.

• Former Epcot CM

Yes, he goes on and on about it, he brags constantly, but he is telling the truth. Unbelievable.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Well at Dl's the giant lighting rigs in the audience, come out of ground priar to show, and then the rest come out of island..

I really don't like fantasmic in an ampitheater, it ruins it... It's so cool how TSI, the place you walked on during the day, changes before your eyes...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    I really don't like fantasmic in an ampitheater, it ruins it... It's so cool how TSI, the place you walked on during the day, changes before your eyes...
    I agree 100%...

One of the reasons Fantasmic! was so successful at Disneyland was the whole "transformation" factor.

I think that with a little tweaking here and there, Fantasmic! would make an excellent addition to the Rivers of America at the Magic Kingdom. I'm not going to say whether I think WDW's or DL's Fantasmic is better, but there are aspects of both that I think could be brought together to form a truely masterpiece show. I would much rather see Fantasmic! at the Magic Kingdom, followed by Wishes at night with perimeter fireworks.

The one problem is that WDW needs to spread out the attractions to prevent 50 million people at the MK, and four thousand at the other parks. But, I like the idea of a new nighttime spectacle at the Studios, with a new form of Fantasmic at the Kingdom. I even wrote an all-new Fantasmic using some of the old elements called Fantasmic: Trio!. I think the show would be even more exciting with three main characters (Donald, Mickey, and Goofy) then just Mickey himself. If there's one thing I learned from Disney, its that 3 characters can have the same dream at the same time.

Plus, I think it would really revitalize the waterfront of the Rivers of America, the attractions are good, but there is really no atmosphere along the waterfront, just a boardwalk and some lifeless props.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    Where are they hidden at Disneyland?
    As stated previously, everything at Disneyland is hidden below. At TMK there is only the utilidors and then swamp. I'm sure some sort of collapsing rigs could be designed but the maintainence would probably be a nightmare.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Niyxstyx
    I think that with a little tweaking here and there, Fantasmic! would make an excellent addition to the Rivers of America at the Magic Kingdom. I'm not going to say whether I think WDW's or DL's Fantasmic is better, but there are aspects of both that I think could be brought together to form a truely masterpiece show. I would much rather see Fantasmic! at the Magic Kingdom, followed by Wishes at night with perimeter fireworks.
    It's an excellent idea to be sure, but what would you do about the parade and two thrill rides being right there on the river where Fantasmic would need to be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    It's an excellent idea to be sure, but what would you do about the parade and two thrill rides being right there on the river where Fantasmic would need to be done?
    Well, thats a good point, but it's still workable.
    First, in my grand scheme, I would move the parade route completely, creating a sort of parade corridor like at Hong Kong Disneyland, running next to Mickey's Toontown fair.

The thrill rides would need to have their own access corridor, but they could still run. Plus, Disney has a habit of starting the nightime shows after park closing. I would just have the show after the park closes. At Disneyland, POTC, HM, and Splash Mountain are all in close proximity of the show, but they still manage okay.

Newer thrill offerings in the north and east sides of the park could help aleviate some of the guests who would ride the mountains. A new Space Mountain, Fire Mountain, and Villain Mountain would really distribute guests away from the Fantasmic zone.

I've actually plotted out the Magic Kingdom of 2021, and it, in theory, could work.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Vehicle rotating backward

For what it's worth, Fantasmic's location at DL is a miracle worker for those of us who enjoy POTC or Splash. Walk-on, anyone?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast