Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Please stop with the generic T-Shirts...

I am really bummed that the resort and park specific souviner wear and other things have been disappearing from WDW.

Kevin Yee makes mention of this in one of his lastest contributions.

Two trips ago there was a nice polo style shirt at Fort Wilderness Campground. They didn't have my size. I figured that on my next trip that I would check again. Well bust my britches when I walked into the store there wasn't anything with a Fort Wilderness logo on it never mind the polo shirt.

I asked the cast member a really nice lady who I have seen there before "what the heck is happening"? She gave me a disgusted look and said " I know, it's terrible isn't it"? She gave me a card with the WDW guest communications web address on it and asked if I would please write them to let them know my displeasure.

I did. Never got a real response back though, just the standard recognition of recieval.

• Occasional Reader

Re: Please stop with the generic T-Shirts...

I've been three times and one of my tips is "If you want something, get it, don't ever plan to get it when you come back"....I've suffered twice. It doesn't work...I've only been going since 2003 and am bemoaning the homogenising of merchandise, so no wonder the Veterans are excercising their complaint muscles.
    I want the 4 parks one world CD without paying the excessive postage. I'm hoping it's on sale for a bit yet as 2011 is when I'm planning to be back.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I totally agree. The store at WDI gets all the good specific merchandise that disney fans love but it's not open to the public.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

That's one of my beefs with WDW as well. I have always purchased resort specific merchandise at each of the Disney World hotels that I have stayed at. On my last trip, I stayed at Pop Century. I probably would have bought a hat, and probably a t-shirt too. I saw nothing. I bought nothing. Walt Disney World didn't get some of my money. Multiply that times other guests who shop the same way, and Walt Disney World doesn't get even more money.

I also always liked seeing other things like plates, cups, napkins, etc; at the resort with the hotel's name. Now it's all Disney Parks. The refillable mug isn't resort specific anymore either. Just one annoying little change that takes away some of the special magic that I used to come home feeling.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I also always liked seeing other things like plates, cups, napkins, etc; at the resort with the hotel's name. Now it's all Disney Parks. The refillable mug isn't resort specific anymore either. Just one annoying little change that takes away some of the special magic that I used to come home feeling.

Oh THAT bugged me. I wanted a mug that was specific to the resort. But I suppose you can take that mug to any resort and use it right? Nobody will be the wiser.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Oh THAT bugged me. I wanted a mug that was specific to the resort. But I suppose you can take that mug to any resort and use it right? Nobody will be the wiser.
    Yes, I actually did that even though they tell you not to. I made a trip over to the Polynesian Food Court for a late breakfast, and the Contemporary for dinner, and I did indeed bring my mug. I have mugs from all the resorts that I stayed at, and sadly I can't continue to do that.
    Pop Century Resort

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by whtmtn View Post

I did. Never got a real response back though, just the standard recognition of recieval.
    At least you got that. I've found that lately WDW has just stopped acknowledging compliment letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    resort. But I suppose you can take that mug to any resort and use it right?
    Yes. They'll have no idea.

• Adventures with Duffy

I to am really tired of the generic items sold at WDW and DLR. I wish they had better merchandise, but I guess I save money by them not. lol In fact on the last trip and the one Im planning, I budget less for shopping. Its sad.

• Cars Land Rocks!

I like the resort specific merchandise, but as far a the parks, I like generic stuff. I don't like anything that has a specific year on it, unless it is special anniversary merchandise.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I do a lot less shopping, if any at all. I think on my last trip I came back with more money than I ever had before. Usually I spend more money than I want to.
    Pop Century Resort

• Occasional Reader

I went for the specific year merchandise this time round. probably as a result of my visits being spaced out by a couple of years. If I went every year, maybe not so much. I wish I knew where my All star Movies cups were from 2003, house move has dealt with them I fear.

I do like the fact that they have generic menu items at counter service. The ideal blend is where it has generic items but then a location specific choice as well. They can even share the location specific stuff, such as 5 items same everywhere and then a 4 from 10 choice or something like that, where the chioces are dictated centrally so that they force difference. That way your average person has a variety, but your fussy eater can go looking for the item they want.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Disney World was built on the promise of variety. Different resorts, based on different locations and atmosphere. They used to carry that idea down as far as the items in the sovenir shops. They are now getting away from that, and selling the same things everywhere. Generic. Yes, that's a good word.
    Pop Century Resort

• Adventures with Duffy

Growing up in So Cal, going to DL all the time. I use to see other guest wading shirts from WDW and it was cool. My first trip to WDW was in 2003. Boy did I buy a ton of things. Even took an empty suitecase so I could bring stuff back. My next trip was in 2008 I did some shopping but nothing like before. In 2009. I didn't buy much at all. A photo album re-fillable mug( sad that it didn't have The resort name on it and that is about it. Amazing how in 7 years I went from over spending to saving money buy not shopping. Someone must be buying this stuff otherwise Disney would have changed things. I do like the items with the year on it. That is cute but it shouldn't be the only thing they have. I now will only buy something if it's park or resort possific. Which is hard to find and it's how I save money.

• Tomorrow's Child

Its pretty much the same scenario at Disneyland Paris as well. And they wonder why merchandise sales are down...

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Agreed, the merchandise at WDW has been downright awful lately. I rarely see anything outside of the occasional pin that is interesting at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast