Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• DVC owner and loving it !

Question Extreme disney what do you all think ?

Do you think that WDW will ever try to compete with Universal and make an extreme park with sick roller coasters and wild thrill rides. I would like to see them expand with an idea like that. Give the thrill seekers a reason to stay at Disney and not go off site for thrills.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: Extreme disney what do you all think ?

Not sure I'd want to see this. Universal has a "carnival" feel to it. Disney really takes theming seriously....so, if they could do it and retain their theming abilities, I'd be all for it. But, if the theming would suffer...forget it.

• Life Long Disney Fan

Personally, I think they could do it, and better than Universal has. That being said, I think that it is unlikely to happen anytime soon, as they have so much going on with the current expansions. I don't think you will see a new park of any kind for quite awhile. That isn't really a bad thing though, as they should really focus on making the most out of their current parks first, then focus on something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    Not sure I'd want to see this. Universal has a "carnival" feel to it. Disney really takes theming seriously....so, if they could do it and retain their theming abilities, I'd be all for it. But, if the theming would suffer...forget it.
    Carnival!? Say what now?

• and too all a good fright

I don't think Disney will ever go full out thrill in the way that Universal has. The thrill aspect of universal limits the appeal for many guests. Instead I see Disney maintaining the current strategy of building a few signature thrill rides (TOT, EE, etc) that blend well within the parks and with rides of other varying intensities.

Also, building a thrill park at WDW would segment the current populations who visit WDW. Mom and sis want a vomit comet while Dad and brother can't handle much more than pirates. I can't imagine the concept of splitting the family, along whatever lines, will appeal to Disney Execs. The current model allows family members to get there thrills (however intense or minor) together at the same park.

• ...is busy, please hold.

Wouldn't mind Disney theming something like Kingda Ka, MaXair,Crystal Wings,Blue Fire,Gotterflug or Eejanaika!

^And Stitchy, Universal Parks aint noes carnival! >=(
    There theming is on par with Disney for sure!
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

The very idea is so Un-Walt-like that it is ridiculous, the disney parks were designed to have rides the familyu can ride together, not to be "sorry kids and grandma everything is for teenagers"
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    Carnival!? Say what now?
    Quote Originally Posted by dead_Mau5 View Post

^And Stitchy, Universal Parks aint noes carnival! >=(
    There theming is on par with Disney for sure!
    Sorry. I've been to Universal once...and never went back. I just didn't enjoy it at all. I mean, the Spiderman ride and the Mummy were great...but, that's not enough of a reason for me to go back. Just walking around, I felt like I was on Coney Island or a hometown fair. Didn't have the same "magic" or the same little details or "touch" as Disney World.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Disney will never go far-out extreme with the thrill rides. Disney is aimed for all ages, and while they will continue to change with the tastes of the people, Disney will continue to try and hold on to the tradition that Walt Disney had.

Of course, thrills will have to be integrated with the changing tastes and culture of the audience. But they will continue to have something for everyone. I mean, if Disney started following everything the other parks did, and didn't take thier theming and storytelling into consideration, they would be hegemonic with other parks.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

No, they won't. And they shouldn't. Disney does an immersive, theming-type park. An entire family park.
    Stitchy is right...Universal has a cheesy feel, and Six Flags even more so. (much, much more so) In spite of some mistakes and some cost-cutting measures, Disney still has the best parks around. It's working and has been for 55 years.

• The Study of Wumbo

I think Disney is meant to be more focused on the big, spectacular experiences and immersion in the story instead of simpler thrills and shocks. If you're looking for a bad mixture of the two, I think Knott's Berry Farm is a common example. It started out with the environments like Disneyland but then Cedar Fair, (who owns Cedar Point, Dorney Park, Carowinds, California's Great America, etc,) bought it and just threw a bunch of coasters in there. I don't want that to happen to WDW.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

My opinion is that one of the biggest innovations in the future for theme parks (whether Disney or some other company will stumble across it is anyone's guess) will be the discovery that it is possible to have Disney-Level theming, story, immersion, and attention to detail, while also having other park's level of thrills.
    The five worst crimes in the world, in no particular order, are genocide, rape, murder, torture, and flash photography on Space Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    Sorry. I've been to Universal once...and never went back. I just didn't enjoy it at all. I mean, the Spiderman ride and the Mummy were great...but, that's not enough of a reason for me to go back. Just walking around, I felt like I was on Coney Island or a hometown fair. Didn't have the same "magic" or the same little details or "touch" as Disney World.
    Sounds to me like a case of seeing what you want to see then, because Universal looks nothing like a fairground. The Disney "magic" is an extremely subjective quality. If you want the Disney parks to have "magic", they will. If you go to any other park expecting them not to have this same "magic", they won't. It's nothing but sentimentality and marketing which affect peoples' perception. The actual atmosphere at Universal is on par with Disney's, sometimes superior.

Personally, I don't even understand this comparison in relation to the topic. Mission: Space is more extreme than anything at Universal.

The difference is that Disney is magical and otehr companies aren't. I have no sympathy for corporations that aren't Disney.
    The five worst crimes in the world, in no particular order, are genocide, rape, murder, torture, and flash photography on Space Mountain.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

i have no problem with "extreme" staying with Six Flags and quality staying with Disney.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast