Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: How much will 'Wizarding World of Harry Potter' affect WDW?

Quote Originally Posted by drumbum67 View Post
    Though I think disgusted is a strong word, I can understand this poster's feelings. Most people on these boards love Disney, but we want the company and its parks to be at their full potential and working for long-term growth and loyalty rather than short-term profiteering. Lately, this has not been the case, causing many, including myself, to be unhappy with the quality and innovation of new attractions.
    Yes, that sums up my feelings perfectly. I love Disney - the real Disney, the real magic, the gold that's now rapidly being displaced by brass. I don't understand Disney fans who aren't upset by that, and don't get the fact that when Disney does things like buying up other people's characters, that in truth dilutes the character of Disney itself. I saw a poster the other day that had a huge assortment of Disney characters in it - and among them, sticking out like turds in a punch bowl, were Kermit the frog and Miss Piggy. I suppose I should be grateful that Spiderman and the Hulk weren't there too. It's getting to the point that I don't recognize the company Walt built anymore. And I'm going to keep yelling about it. It breaks my heart. If I could think of a way to stop it, I would. But right now, all I can do is yell, and withhold my dollars from Disney until it's under better management.

...you think Muppets aren't Disney? They did a pretty good job of integrating them in, IMO.
    The five worst crimes in the world, in no particular order, are genocide, rape, murder, torture, and flash photography on Space Mountain.

• First Time Disneylander

The one thought that has been on my mind too is how well the Harry Potter franchise will hold up ten years from now. The major thing Disney has going for them seems to be the timelessness of their movies. Universal, on the other hand, has a lot of attractions built around great blockbusters (Tornado, The Mummy, Earthquake). While Harry Potter may be more timeless than these examples, the princess/pirates/Mickey Mouse franchises will continue to draw crowds as long as Disney continues to market them.
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

Eh, I think Harry Potter'll last a pretty long time. Significantly longer than Twilight, even though that seems to have temporarily taken over its fame.
    The five worst crimes in the world, in no particular order, are genocide, rape, murder, torture, and flash photography on Space Mountain.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Know why the USO Hotel inventory is relatively insignificant? Because it's a problem that can be solved almost overnight. USO can partner with another property, offer those guests the same Express Pass perks and run shuttles. Is it perfect? No, but it's a workaround that is easily done if there is such a need.

USO doesn't need Hotel capacity now to make an impact. Only Disney needs to try to hide their guests from the rest of Orlando. USO's ticket pricing model doesn't need to try to keep you for 5+ days. It's hotels already compete with close by properties. USO just wants you to come in and try them out. Disney wants you to come in and don't even look outside.

The biggest threat WWHP stands is to break the MYW stronghold Disney has on it's guests. It will be something large enough Disney can't hide from it's guests, and a portion of them will alter their plans to account for it. When MYW and Magical Express become too cumbersome to take in both Disney and USO... Disney stands to lose even more.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The biggest threat WWHP stands is to break the MYW stronghold Disney has on it's guests. It will be something large enough Disney can't hide from it's guests, and a portion of them will alter their plans to account for it. When MYW and Magical Express become too cumbersome to take in both Disney and USO... Disney stands to lose even more.
    I have to wonder if Disney's lobbying for the high-speed-rail between Orlando/Disney/Miami is partly a response to Universal's investments.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    ...you think Muppets aren't Disney? They did a pretty good job of integrating them in, IMO.

Of course they're not Disney. If Disney bought Bugs Bunny, would that make him a Disney character?

And I disagree about Disney having done a good job of integrating the Muppets into its Kingdom. When I saw that commercial with Miss Piggy in the Teacups with some dude, and the background music was "Bella Notte" from Lady and the Tramp, I wanted to hurl. The stylistic clash couldn't have been more evident.

I'll say it again: if the Muppets are soooooooooo popular, if people love them sooooo much, then let Jim Henson's kids buy them back (they have their own production company, as I understand it) and make movies with them. If the characters are so wonderful, so profitable, so relevant, why did Henson's kids sell them, not once but twice?

And as for the Marvel buy, that just looked like desperation, like Iger has no faith that Disney has the talent to create characters boys can relate to. Hello? Cars? Incredibles? Just because Disney stumbled when it first started Disney XD, Iger panicked and bought Marvel. That looked incredibly weak. Iger is cut from the same cloth Eisner was. He's no improvement at all.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    Yes, that sums up my feelings perfectly. I love Disney - the real Disney, the real magic, the gold that's now rapidly being displaced by brass. I don't understand Disney fans who aren't upset by that, and don't get the fact that when Disney does things like buying up other people's characters, that in truth dilutes the character of Disney itself. I saw a poster the other day that had a huge assortment of Disney characters in it - and among them, sticking out like turds in a punch bowl, were Kermit the frog and Miss Piggy. I suppose I should be grateful that Spiderman and the Hulk weren't there too. It's getting to the point that I don't recognize the company Walt built anymore. And I'm going to keep yelling about it. It breaks my heart. If I could think of a way to stop it, I would. But right now, all I can do is yell, and withhold my dollars from Disney until it's under better management.
    I'd be more upset about seeing Power Rangers in a Disney park then I would about the Muppets. There's just something that makes me cringe about the fact that they have a meet n greet area AND a float in the parades at Hollywood Studios.

Maybe it's just because I grew up after Disney incorporated the Muppets in but they don't seem out-of-place.

• Banned User

But this is perception.. and it's not very accurate. This is why Universal's biggest issue has been getting people to give them a chance. They've not done well enough on their marketing and controlling the image of the parks.

Universal Studios really only has two roller coasters. The rest are shows, simulators, etc (should remind you a lot about Disney...) including some world class attractions such as Men in Black.
    List of Universal Studios Florida attractions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IOA has more thrill rides - but only two real full sized coasters. The rest are a mix of attractions... including dark rides... and arguably the best attraction ever built in Spiderman.

Check out the attraction list
    Islands of Adventure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IOA/USF isn't any more Six Flags then Disney Hollywood Studios is. What the original USF lacked in detailed atmosphere theming, they took to heart when they built IOA. Areas like the Lost Continent, and Dr Seus and others rival Disney or exceed it.
    That's right. For some reason, Universal tends to show roller coasters in their ads and billboards, but the Universal parks are actually a lot like Disney -- themed lands, dark rides, shows, motion simulators. Overall, the rides tend to be a little more intense than Disney's, but the difference is just a matter of degree.

Bottom line: Universal has theme parks, not amusement parks. And if you pass on Universal because of a mistaken perception, you are missing out on many world class attractions. I do think that Potter will convince more people to try Universal for the first time, and they'll see for themselves that this isn't just another coaster park.

This will likely intensify the competition between WDW and Universal, but the symbiotic relationship I mentioned remains the same. To me and many others, Orlando -- not Disney -- is the draw. Orlando offers a package deal for theme park nuts -- seven theme parks within a short drive of each other, not to mention the water parks and all the resort amenities you can shake a stick at. I suspect that the visitors who never set foot outside of Disney are in the minority.

Maybe the biggest winner in all this will be the theme park fans. Potter is sweetening this package deal, and will (hopefully) spur TDO out of their complacency.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 03-29-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    Aah, we're back to this are we? Companies change, and with a few exceptions, they have to and they should. Even if Disney had never purchased the Muppets or Marvel comics, they would still be a very different company than the one that opened WDW back in 1971. Keep yelling all you like - but yelling and complaining about it on here isn't going to make it change. Buying stock in the company and showing up at the shareholders meetings with clear ideas is the way to be heard.

And BTW, I am so over the "I run down Disney because I care" thing. The majority of park-goers don't even notice most of the stuff that some of us nit pick about - we are, as one person put a while back, uber-fans, we notice everything - which is a shame because I think some of you have lost the ability to truly enjoy the parks. I defy you to find another entertainment company that can accomplish what they have. Have they made a few stinkers, absolutely. But that happens with companies that are constantly trying to progress (or as Walt put it - Keep moving forward)- once in a while they stick their neck out and they get their heads lopped off - that's the risk.

Universal Studios really only has two roller coasters. The rest are shows, simulators, etc (should remind you a lot about Disney...) including some world class attractions such as Men in Black.
    They reeeeally need to revise their advertising - As I said, the only thing I ever see on their ads are the huge roller coasters and thrill rides - which aren't my cup of tea. Do you think maybe they do this to show themselves as an alternative to Disney - you know, sort of a princess-free zone?

I still don't get why they keep calling it "Harry Potter theme park" since when is a few re themed acres in an already established theme park considered a new park. Was the old land that was there a theme park? it had more acreage then this addition?

Universal is over selling the addition again like it does with any other new attraction.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I read all the opinions about this still hurting WDW's bottom line. I really don't think it will. WDW is still a major destination. Harry Potter was probably the ticket that brings many people to finally make the trip but everyone knows that WDW is a major part of it.

So what if those people going to Universal only "stop by" at Disney World? These are people that WEREN'T going to be coming this year anyway if Harry Potter wasn't there. And of all the extra bodies that will be coming to Disney property, I'm sure there's a good chunk of them that WILL stay at a Disney resort and take a small trip to Universal. It really isn't far.

In short: competition is good.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by celticdar View Post
    maybe they do this to show themselves as an alternative to Disney - you know, sort of a princess-free zone?
    This actually was exactly their marketing campaign a few years ago. I don't rmember it exactly, but it honestly was something along the lines of "a princess-free zone." I'll try and find the commercials I'm thinking of and post them here.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast