Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Re: How much will 'Wizarding World of Harry Potter' affect WDW?

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    Of course they're not Disney. If Disney bought Bugs Bunny, would that make him a Disney character?

And I disagree about Disney having done a good job of integrating the Muppets into its Kingdom. When I saw that commercial with Miss Piggy in the Teacups with some dude, and the background music was "Bella Notte" from Lady and the Tramp, I wanted to hurl. The stylistic clash couldn't have been more evident.

I'll say it again: if the Muppets are soooooooooo popular, if people love them sooooo much, then let Jim Henson's kids buy them back (they have their own production company, as I understand it) and make movies with them. If the characters are so wonderful, so profitable, so relevant, why did Henson's kids sell them, not once but twice?

And as for the Marvel buy, that just looked like desperation, like Iger has no faith that Disney has the talent to create characters boys can relate to. Hello? Cars? Incredibles? Just because Disney stumbled when it first started Disney XD, Iger panicked and bought Marvel. That looked incredibly weak. Iger is cut from the same cloth Eisner was. He's no improvement at all.
    So you DO accept the purchased Pixar characters, then? So do I, but Disney was no more involved in their creations than Kermit or Spider-Man.

(And OF COURSE Miss Piggy's date with Taye Diggs clahsed with the Belle Notte music... that's why it was funny.)

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    So you DO accept the purchased Pixar characters, then? So do I, but Disney was no more involved in their creations than Kermit or Spider-Man.

(And OF COURSE Miss Piggy's date with Taye Diggs clahsed with the Belle Notte music... that's why it was funny.)
    Thank you - well said - on both points.

• Seasick

I've gone to Disneyland and DisneyWorld many times, and usually don't include Universal, unless they have something new I really want to see.

There's no way the opposite would be true. If I were to make a trip to see the Harry Potter addition, there's no way I'd not visit WDW as well, and I'd spend more time there than Universal.

I don't think Disney stands to lose anything at all, and in fact might just benefit. Since Disney isn't offering any new attractions, it could be Harry Potter that convinces me to go back to Orlando, and I'll visit Disney and even stay in one of their hotels, in all likelihood.

I suppose some people who go for both might now be more inclined to stay offsite.

And what will Disney lose anyway? If I do six days at WDW instead of seven, in order to see Potter, they don't lose much admission revenue due to how their tickets are priced. They get me for a few less meals, but that's it.

Oh, and if more people visit Universal, maybe they'll buy some Marvel merchandise, which helps Disney too.

I think Harry Potter is a win-win for Universal and Disney.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

I've encountered a dirty park with inattentive staff members every time I have gone to Universal Studios Orlando. I'll never go back. Although, I have to admit they did have 2 really cool rides - Back to the Future (gone now) and Spiderman.

I will always go back to WDW for the cleanliness and friendly cast members that I encounter each and every time I visit the resort.
    - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Risa View Post
    I've encountered a dirty park with inattentive staff members every time I have gone to Universal Studios Orlando. I'll never go back. Although, I have to admit they did have 2 really cool rides - Back to the Future (gone now) and Spiderman.

I will always go back to WDW for the cleanliness and friendly cast members that I encounter each and every time I visit the resort.

That's so odd that I experienced the exact opposite at my last trip. I loved my day at Universal and encountered more friendly smiles there than an entire week at WDW combined.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I suppose some people who go for both might now be more inclined to stay offsite.

And what will Disney lose anyway? If I do six days at WDW instead of seven, in order to see Potter, they don't lose much admission revenue due to how their tickets are priced. They get me for a few less meals, but that's it.
    You have to think how the masses are lured into planning trips to Disney.

Staying an extra day offsite is a big hassle. That's by design. But if you've got a carrot out there that people ARE willing to consider... that shifts the blame of the hassle not on the carrot, but on Disney. This stands to weaken the MYW/MagicalExpress stranglehold model. And if people skip that, that's when the wall starts to crumble.

It's not about guests spending a day somewhere else.. it's about how guests visit Disney. As soon as you accept hiring a car... it leads to questioning why you pay a premium for a disney hotel... why should I spend all my days at Disney, there is a lot more out there, etc. It snowballs... it's like a leak in a Dike. It only takes a small trickle before it picks up steam and takes more out with it.

Remember.. people in general don't extend their vacations, they just divide them up differently. So any gains of days at USO will be days lost at Disney generally. Add that with weakening the Magical Express story, exposing weaknesses in the Hotels, etc.

It about people getting more of the story beyond what Disney feeds them. The more self-aware travelers become, the more Disney stands to lose.

So much of Disney's core assets is the perception it's the cats meow and nothing else in Orlando is worth visiting. Having that myth broken in the core Disney tourist audience will be costly to Disney.

What Disney needs to be worried about is not the season 1 or season 2 impact... but it's influence on how it markets and traps people without it looking like a trap.

WWHP is going to expose MYW/Magical Express as a manipulative tool to a lot of gomers who didn't see it before.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I agree with whoever said it would be in Disney's best interest to run a free shuttle to Universal. It could leave from the TTC and likely wouldn't cost much but be very much made up for by guests continuing to stay on property because of it.
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleloveswalt View Post
    I agree with whoever said it would be in Disney's best interest to run a free INEXPENSIVE shuttle to Universal. It could leave from the TTC and likely wouldn't cost much but be very much made up for by guests continuing to stay on property because of it.
    Fixed that for you. Giving guests free transportation to a competitor is not good business. It makes them consider the option and say "yah, why not? let's GO to universal instead of staying on disney property!"

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• First Time Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Fixed that for you. Giving guests free transportation to a competitor is not good business. It makes them consider the option and say "yah, why not? let's GO to universal instead of staying on disney property!"
    Have to agree with you there. The only reason I'm NOT going to Universal this year is because of the lack of transportation options and the cost (when compared to adding an extra day onto a MYW pass). If there was a direct bus service, I would be much more inclined to leave Disney for a few days at Universal.

Once Universal becomes more popular than the Disney parks, then this is a whole new debate. But I don't see that happening any time soon.
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

Staying an extra day offsite is a big hassle. That's by design. But if you've got a carrot out there that people ARE willing to consider... that shifts the blame of the hassle not on the carrot, but on Disney. This stands to weaken the MYW/MagicalExpress stranglehold model. And if people skip that, that's when the wall starts to crumble.

It's not about guests spending a day somewhere else.. it's about how guests visit Disney. As soon as you accept hiring a car... it leads to questioning why you pay a premium for a disney hotel... why should I spend all my days at Disney, there is a lot more out there, etc. It snowballs... it's like a leak in a Dike. It only takes a small trickle before it picks up steam and takes more out with it.

Remember.. people in general don't extend their vacations, they just divide them up differently. So any gains of days at USO will be days lost at Disney generally. Add that with weakening the Magical Express story, exposing weaknesses in the Hotels, etc.

It about people getting more of the story beyond what Disney feeds them. The more self-aware travelers become, the more Disney stands to lose.

So much of Disney's core assets is the perception it's the cats meow and nothing else in Orlando is worth visiting. Having that myth broken in the core Disney tourist audience will be costly to Disney.

What Disney needs to be worried about is not the season 1 or season 2 impact... but it's influence on how it markets and traps people without it looking like a trap.

WWHP is going to expose MYW/Magical Express as a manipulative tool to a lot of gomers who didn't see it before.
    I really don't know how the masses are "lured" into booking a trip to Disney. I do know that so many guests already staying at the WDW resorts still rent cars. And many of the guests staying at Disney resort hotels drive their own car. I also know that plenty of guest rent a car for just a day or two while staying at Disney. Alamo/National strive to monopolize that small percent that do so by offering on-site rental centers and free shuttles from the WDW resorts to those rental centers. There are even those that still have the bags delivered directly to their rooms, and use the resort airline check in desk in the lobby, but inbetween they are renting a car instead of using Magical Express.

That all said, I don't think MYW/Magical Express are manipulative, though I do understand the statement, I have long thought the more days you pay, the less expensive it should be. Thats fair and generally heeds to the values of the scale of economics. The more you buy, the less it costs.

And Magical Express is a fantastic option for WDW guests. It increases the value of staying at a Disney Resort. Due to universal only having three hotels, its easy to give those guest's exclusive line privildges. With all of Disney's resort's, is more complex to offer the same. But having your bags delivered directly to your room, a free shuttle too and from the resort, and airline check in for your departure from the lobby of your hotel.... I am proud of Disney for coming up with these innovative services that enhance to the Disney resort expeince. Its no more manipulative then Universal Offer line priviledges to its resort guests. Thats a great benefit of a Universal Resort. MYW/Magical Express are nice benies of WDW resorts. With out these WDW resorts will still only have Extra Magic Hours and Disney Transportation as bragging rights.

They just recently added MCO's largest carrier to airline check in, Southwest Airlines, and boy were the guests asking for that. I do fear the lines being too long in the lobbies of WDW resort hotels for airline check in now that Southwest is in the mix, but the guests were appearantly screaming for it.... so they got.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

You could be right, it will be interesting to see what happense (assuming the info ever makes its way to us).

Personally, when I did two weeks at WDW in 2006, I stayed on property, used a rental car for maybe six days to do Uni, NASA, Gatorworld, and a few other things. I still preferred being on Disney property, but the free dining plan was really enticing.

I checked today, and can stay in a decent hotel, minutes from WDW, for $29 a night, in September. Perhaps Potter will expose just how much of a premium one pays to stay at WDW.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post

I accept the Pixar characters as part of the Disney pantheon because in truth, Disney played a big role in Pixar's success. Disney supported Pixar during its early days, so it's been very much a partner early on. Even more importantly, Pixar's output and quality are consistent with the Disney character and spirit, something that can certainly not be said about the Muppets, which haven't really been any good since their first movie.

As for "clash" I wasn't speaking about the commercial's intended humor. Just the sight of that pig puppet in that teacup with that beautiful Disney song playing over it was stomach-turning. I'd have much the same reaction if Spiderman was shown climbing up the side of the Castle. Just a horrible clash of creative cultures. To quote a Muppet phrase: "One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong..."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345