Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your Opinion on WDW as a child

When I was really really young I lived in Florida. I was naive like most children (although not as rude according to my mom and dad). My parents told me that the parks, films, etc, were imaginary but didn't really explain what that meant. I thought it was all real. I was under the impression that rather than Walt Disney building Disneyland, WDW, etc, he discovered them, similar to how Christopher Columbus discovered the New World. I didn't think of the Disney company as park management, but more like a travel agency helping guests make tours of the magical lands. I also thought that Splash Mountain could only be survived by the most experienced adventurers and thus that riders were all either brave, suicidal, or crazy. I also thought that Space Mountain was a Men In Black-style facility for the transportation of aliens on and off of our planet, and that the rides in Fantasyland were where their films were filmed. Presumably all Disney films had rides somewhere in the deep depths of the Magic Kingdom, it's just that the Disney Tour Agency hadn't plotted a guest path to them yet.
    The five worst crimes in the world, in no particular order, are genocide, rape, murder, torture, and flash photography on Space Mountain.

• Occasional Reader

Re: Your Opinion on WDW as a child

Cool to share....Oh to have such eyes...rather than the cynical pair I possess !
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

None of those rides were at WDW when I first visited in 1977 when I was 3 (except for Space Mountain). I knew the characters weren't real, but who cares... getting your photo with Mickey Mouse or Goofy when you're 3 is a big deal regardless.

• Disney Fan & Musician

Wow, that's a great look at life! Always keep it like that. Thanks for sharing.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• DVC owner and loving it !

Didn,t get to WDW until 1981 at 15 years old. Tagged along on a HS class trip. I remember cleanliness, nice people and which kids to stay away from. Didn't remember much of the magic until I went back on my honeymoon in 1994. We did the grand plan an all inclusive at the grand floridian. That was the beginning of becoming a disney lover.

I've always treated the characters with a type of awe-eyed reverence.. even now at almost 17 years old. I just went to WDW last year.. and to me the princesses and characters were still real (even though in some non-fun place in my mind, I know they arent). I appreciate this quality of mine very much.. I think its much better than being one of those teenagers who slumps through the park wishing they werent there. ;]
    Dream a dream, a fantastical wish.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I didn't think of the Disney company as park management, but more like a travel agency helping guests make tours of the magical lands. I also thought that Splash Mountain could only be survived by the most experienced adventurers and thus that riders were all either brave, suicidal, or crazy. I also thought that Space Mountain was a Men In Black-style facility for the transportation of aliens on and off of our planet,
    Heh, as much as I complain about things on here, this is pretty much what happens to me as soon as I get on the property.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Strange, yet mystifying place, where, truely, all you dreams come true (this from my most vage memories of WDW, my family only visited MK and Epcot Center, when it was still called EC.)

Timekeeper

• Future Imagineer

I always wanted to go to WDW as a child (didn't get to go until I was 15) and would watch every single Disney special that would come on TV: Full House Goes to WDW, Wonderful World of Disney, every single video my Gram could get her hands on, and then as I got older Travel Channel and TLC shows. I obsessed over WDW. I begged and begged and begged my parents. I remember watching the commercial for WDW where the little boy's parents told him they would go to WDW when his sister learned to walk, but then they gave in and they went anyway and the little sister LEARNED to walk THERE! It was on the VHS for either Lion King or Toy Story... forget which one exactly. So I would plead with my parents to take us to WDW and it would be okay that my brother or later my sister couldn't walk because they would LEARN at Disney! Haha.

So, we finally went when I was 15 and I probably acted like I was 6 the whole time. I was in complete awe of the place. Of course then, where did my parents take me to celebrate my graduation? WDW of course

I was 7 years old when WDW opened in 1971 and lived in a tiny (I mean tiny) New England town. My first impression is inexpressible! My family had booked a room in the Contemporary Tower. I had never seen anything like it except on television. Having the Monorail run right through the heart of this enormous hotel was unbelievable. Does anyone remember all the topiaries that graced the landscape by the TTC? I wish they would bring those back...
    Upon entering the MK it was like entering a dream. I remember watching Disneys Wonderful World Of Color every Sunday evening. Now, to be in the middle of what I had seen on TV, was simply mind blowing! I remember how the windows along Main Street all had some animatronic display unlike today. The newest Disney movie, at that time, was Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Every window of the emporium had a different animated model scene from the movie. And, lest I forget, seeing the towering castle at the end of MS was unforgettable. The music, sights, sounds and smells still resonate through my mind.

I could go on for 10 pages writing about all my first memories so I'll leave it at this. Even now, at age 46, the memories of my first trip are just as vivid as when I was 7.

I wish, every day, that my children could have experienced WDW the same way I did back in 71'. It was truly a magical experience! Thanks Walt and Roy for such fond memories and here's hoping that Robert Iger, Tom Staggs and John Lasseter can someday bring back the "true" magic that was once Disney...
    Last edited by Lightning509s; 05-25-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

• Banned User

Omega.. just wondering.. how old were you when you first visited WDW?

I was XX years back in 1972 when I first stepped foot at WDW. Thank my parents for damaging my head forever since that day. But my opinion about WDW as a child was one of wonderment and escapism. Coming from a not so priviledged society, where crime, traffic jams and fear reigned supreme (pretty much like Orlando now a days me thinks), going to WDW was like being Alice and falling into wonderland. The WDW of my childhooh was the WDW that was clean, where parades and shows were grand, where anniversaries were celebrated with flair, where CMs wore the costume proudly and without unsightly pin lanyards and nametags that did not reminds me of reality (eg- "Susy, Bronx NY"), where attractions worked magically on cue, where the future was not a metallic mess, where little girls didn't walk around dressed as overly-made princesses with overpaid crap messes on their hairs, where monorails never waited for traffic clearance, where you could actually appreciate the entire preshow to attractions like the HM without being pushed thru by CMs who rush the experience, where POTC had nothing to do with a now dated movie franchise, where you could walk into the Crystal Palace and have a delicious plate of spaghetti without having to overpay for the mere presence of rubberheads, etc etc etc, overall... when I felt respected and appreciated as a guest and not like a prospective money-dropping number on the turnstyle. The difference between now and then? Back then, WDW gave me something unique to take home in my memories and heart. Now? I feel like I have to pay WDW to get something that may or may not be memorable, depending on the circumstances of the day. The point is, there is no consistency in the WDW product because sadly, it has become way too much and way too difficult for management to maintain, both in terms of quality and maintenance.
    But, lucky for me.. I still have the momories from the past, and other Disney places like CA, Tokyo and Hong Kong, where the same caliber of WDW's yesterday can still be found.

Very Well Said TDLFAN!!!! I too feel like a walking ATM machine now when I visit WDW...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning509s View Post
    Very Well Said TDLFAN!!!! I too feel like a walking ATM machine now when I visit WDW...
    And WORST! As a guest, I feel totally insulted that WDW's management would think that I am going to be satisfied by a so-called "disney" product that merely meet expectations, as opposed to exceeding them, which is no longer the case. I guess you have to be from a country that believes in Royal families, or have civilizations that live in the jungle to think that WDW is actually an out of the ordinary place to visit. Lucky for them, anyone can book a plane ticket that is actually cheaper than a 4-day pass to WDW's parks.. and because Orlando *is* a value destination, that keeps the turnstyles clicking. But not me. I demand a higher degree of Disney magic and showmanship. WDW does not achieve that degree now-a-days. Honestly, I find myself more entertained by some of the other competitors' offerings! SAD!

I was 12 when we first went to WDW. We travelled all the way from PA. We were visiting Grandma (of course). From Grandma's house to Disney, approx. 90 minutes, our mother talked us in to going to EPCOT. She wanted to see the hydroponic plants. Imagine the disappointment of a child that travelled that far to see Mickey...and he was nowhere to be found. I literally blocked 9 tenths of the trip from my memory.

However, when I was 23 I met my husband. He found out that I had never been to the MK and took me within a month. There I am all 23 years of me standing behind a group of girls about 9 years old watching the spectromagic parade. The little girls spotted Cinderella and shouted and waved to Cinderella....I was right there behind them waving to Cinderella. That was over 9 years ago.

Disney is magic at any age if you allow it! Note to parents....don't take children to EPCOT if they are expecting to see Mickey!!

• The Study of Wumbo

I didn't go to WDW until I was nine. Before that, all of my experience with the World had been through this Millennium Celebration Free Travel Planning VHS tape, (sitting on my desk, right now,) and through old magazines and guide maps that friends of ours had brought over to feed my growing interest. I saw it as the ultimate destination, a Utopian version of my local amusement park or carnivals. Most of my interest was focused on The Haunted Mansion at that time. I learned about the Mansion through my aunt, who had been working as a casting director in California, and frequented Disneyland. By the time we finally went, I had read through all the Unofficial Guide and the websites, so I had a closer-to-reality idea of what the World was like than other children might, I think.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast