Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• and too all a good fright

Changing up your Disney Routine

It occurred to me that I have never seen a parade or fireworks show at MK from anywhere other than the Main Street hub area. I began realizing how many things I do the same way each time I visit. Some are based on crowds and avoiding wait times, but others I do just because its the way I do them, like visiting Tommorowland at night.

I went to DL for the first time this year and decided to make a point of visiting Adventureland at night rather than Tommorowland. The atmosphere was completely different than when I was there in the day. The jungle cruise? Awesome at night. The treehouse? Spectacular views at night. I can't wait to change things up on my next trip to WDW, though I suspect a nighttime viewing of Tiki Room: Under New Management will not be improved no matter what time of day it is viewed.

What are your routines and what happened when you changed things up?

• Super Old Guy

Re: Changing up your Disney Routine

I only get to WDW a couple times a year, and there are so many things that I just enjoy that I tend to fall into habits. I do like to change things up a bit whenever I can, but overall I have some pretty firm traditions. I like to do some pre-fireworks drinking at the Rose & Crown, and then view the show in front of the Canada pavilion. Perfect location, with great view, great sound, and very small crowd. I like to hit Epcot first thing on arrival, and then the MK the first morning after arrival. I've never seen DAK in the dark, and I'm gonna try that this trip (after a late dinner at Yak & Yeti). I'm also one of the 700 or so that had an AP to both DL and WDW, so I got my free premium 2-coast pass in the mail last week. This will give me access to the water parks and DisneyQuest, something that I usually don't include. So I want to spend at least one afternoon in Typhoon Lagoon and maybe a bit of an evening in DisneyQuest, just for something different.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

The jungle cruise is awesome at night! We did that the last time during EMH at night for the first time and what a difference it made.
    AT MK we always go to Adventureland first. Than make our way clockwise. I am not sure why
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Well, I'll definitely be changing my routine on my next trip - because I think I'll be going solo for the first time. I'm going to make an effort to do all the things that the rest of the group doesn't usually want to take the time to do - eat at a few places that nobody else will do (Morocco for starters - the table service place looks really good - the Yak and the Yeti for another - my family isn't terribly adventurous when it comes to food) and see a few shows that don't usually come up on the itinerary. AND - I've decided to conquer my fears and ride Splash and Space Mountains this time. I've never been on either of them. It's going to be a busy week.

^Good for you! Solo trips are great and really do allow you to do just what you want.

• Really!?

There are still A LOT of things that I've never even seen in the parks because I'm so mental about doing specific things before the day is over, its a pretty hard habit to break :\

• Metro-Retro Historian

The last time I went my world was slightly rocked. I went to the Magic Kingdom first, but for the first time ever as a guest I didn't walk through the castle first. I know it's trivial, but it's just a better magical gateway for me than the train station.

What is really weird is I generally don't like routines. Planning ahead is not something I like doing and aside from my weird castle ritual I prefer to leave the activities up to stream of consciousness. Dining has made this a problem since you now need reservations months in advance for everything. How am I supposed to know in March what I want to eat for dinner on the second Tuesday in October? This totally messes with my routine of having no routine.

Oh. My girlfriend also likes parades and firework, which to me aren't as cool as boats and singing animatronics, so that will be different next time. No more trying to beat the parade ropes to Splash mountain to hit the short lines while Spectromagic and the Fireworks are going. Though seeing them from the top of Chickapin Hill is pretty awesome.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

hey guys, next time, try watching the fireworks behind the castle by Dumbo and the Carousel area, by the white rope near Mr. Toads Wild Ride side. Amazing view from under and in the middle of the fireworks diplay. And the view of Tinker Bell is a site to behold!! Try it sometime, you won't be dissapointed. And you don't have to show up back there till about 9:00 or so, because there's not much of a crowd compared to the front of castle veiwing. It's a well kept secret, that not too many guest know about. So if you experience the back side, don't let the secret out, so it can remain special and uncrowed, for future guest who stumble upon this spot unexpectedly, to veiw the fireworks display!!

• Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by IMACATT View Post
    hey guys, next time, try watching the fireworks behind the castle by Dumbo and the Carousel area, by the white rope near Mr. Toads Wild Ride side. Amazing view from under and in the middle of the fireworks diplay. And the view of Tinker Bell is a site to behold!! Try it sometime, you won't be dissapointed. And you don't have to show up back there till about 9:00 or so, because there's not much of a crowd compared to the front of castle veiwing. It's a well kept secret, that not too many guest know about. So if you experience the back side, don't let the secret out, so it can remain special and uncrowed, for future guest who stumble upon this spot unexpectedly, to veiw the fireworks display!!
    I ususally watch Wishes from the front but could never understand what they were saying. One night I happened to be in this spot and it was the first time I heard what the show was all about. It is a great place to stand.

Quote Originally Posted by IMACATT View Post
    This one of the things I have tagged to do differently next time. I am so used to heading to the front of the castle. I saw a video called "Wishes from Fantasyland" and it dawned on me " Hey you can see this from other parts of the park?" Of course I knew that, but it never occurred to me to actually try it.

My switch up is this time I'll be staying in the parks for the first time. We'll be staying at Port Orleans and using the dinning plan. As far as the park routines, I don't think we really have any.

I have watched the fireworks from behind the castle and the show is just as good as from the front, but with out the crowds.

^ Port Orleans is great resort. If you are headed to Downtown Disney use the boat ferry instead of the buses. The ride is lovely.

• Minion

ORDDU: It just occurred to me that Walt Disney World actually has THEME parks to enjoy on property. I guess I knew about this in the back my mind. But after all these years, I must have forgotten about it. My usual routine is to go there for the purpose of finding some handsome hunk so I'll have a date on Saturday night! I just get into the first line I find that has someone in it that I'm attracted to and then I get totally lost in him and forget all else. One thing leads to another and the next thing I know I'm experiencing ecstacy! Would a witch really want to change a routine like that to anything else?

ORGOCH: Hey, ya theme park hag!! This is a Saturday night an' yer postin' away on Micechat. What happened ta all that ecstacy yer s'posed ta be havin'? Been livin' in Fantasyland a might too long, has ya???

• Really!?

^^^ uhhh.....I agree. I think.
    This chamber has no windows and no doors!!!! ....better take the stairs.

My dh and I have a tradition of always going to Downtown Disney the first night we arrive. This is for two reasons. Firstly it's to keep us awake because by that point we are close to zombies and two to have a nice meal at raglan road. Love that soda bread! On our next trip I am hoping to stay on property so we might mix it up a little there.

As for the parks we used to always go to the Magic Kingdom first and end up in Tomorrowland at night...adventureland sounds pretty nice at night though so I might mix it up a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast