Visiting the Park with a 1yr old and Closures

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here and I look forward to hanging out on the boards!

I've only ever been to Disney World as an adult and only with other adults. But this year we will be bringing our 14 month old daughter with us as well and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for how to enjoy the park with a little one and if there is anything we may have skipped over as adults that may be a must see with the little one.

Also, does anyone know where to look to find a list of what might be closed for repairs or upgrades during our stay?

Thanks a bunch!
    Kevin

• Happy Haunt

Re: Visiting the Park with a 1yr old and Closures

I think a big one that adults can sometimes forgot is that sometimes your kid will just want to run around. The Little Mermaid show at DHS is something she would probably like a lot.

As for what's closed go to the park hours and put in your dates and below the hours for each park it shows what will be closed.

Thanks for the info. I'm sad Muppets 3-D is going to be closed during our stay, but it's nowhere near as bad the years we couldn't ride the Haunted Mansion or Jungle Cruise!

• Occasional Reader

Off the top of my head.
    1) Playhouse disney... don't try and sit near the front, as you can't see as well close up.
    2) Don't even think about commando touring (for about 8-9 years!)...My daughter was just below 3, and they have a lot of influence considering their size.
    3) Aim for relaxing time, be prepared to be thrown off any plan. There will no doubt be things that she will love, which as an adult are completely off your radar. Water fountains were a particular obsession, because she could operate them. We stopped at about 70% of tyhe ones we passed and 90% of the ones she saw !
    4) Be ready for "Upset" at any time...I got it with wishes, where the lighting on the castle went "wrong" !, but once mickey fixed it she was happy again. Whereas the thiongs we were warned about went by quite harmlessly (Tough to be a bug animatronic Hopper for one.)
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Also, I find when traveling with my kids that the playground areas they have is great for them to run around and blow off some pent up energy. And they can pent up a lot of it standing on some of those long rides. I will usually spend about 1/2 hour there letting them go on the slides, climb etc. When they were first built I thought what crap, but after having children and going there with them I have to say they are a blessing.
    Also, just be prepared to take rests- more than you would when just traveling with adults. Frequent stops and snack and sometimes going back to the room for nap time (unless your child will nap soundlessly in the carriage like mine will).
    Also- definetly do a character meal, unless you know your child will be afraid of the characters that close up. Great picture opportunities and the kids love them.
    Other than that, enjoy and take lots of pictures
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Disneymom

I wouldn't do HISTA. It scared my daughter. She spent the whole time under a blanket hugging my chest.

• Disney Vacation Planner

Quote Originally Posted by lou_mom View Post
    I wouldn't do HISTA. It scared my daughter. She spent the whole time under a blanket hugging my chest.

Thats so true! It scared my son when he was a little guy, and he has never forgotten. He's 18 now, and still won't go to see it.

• Minion

We took our 10 month old daughter to Disneyland last year. We kept away from the shows as her attention span would not hold that long. We took her on all the rides we could put her on and she loved them all. We didn't stay to close as she couldn't last that long, we also had to go back to the room for a nap. It definitely is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT (in a good way of course) trip with a child so just be aware of that.

Just have fun and take your time. It's different for every person. We're actually leaving for Disneyland in 2 weeks and our daughter will be 21 months old...she knows all the Disney characters and the rides from park maps, but it will still be a new thing as she is more aware now.

Ps. Take PLENTY of pictures and videos! Your child may not remember it, but you will!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Also, I find when traveling with my kids that the playground areas they have is great for them to run around and blow off some pent up energy. And they can pent up a lot of it standing on some of those long rides. I will usually spend about 1/2 hour there letting them go on the slides, climb etc. When they were first built I thought what crap, but after having children and going there with them I have to say they are a blessing.
    Also, just be prepared to take rests- more than you would when just traveling with adults. Frequent stops and snack and sometimes going back to the room for nap time (unless your child will nap soundlessly in the carriage like mine will).
    Also- definetly do a character meal, unless you know your child will be afraid of the characters that close up. Great picture opportunities and the kids love them.
    Other than that, enjoy and take lots of pictures
    Great Advice!!!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by lou_mom View Post
    It scared me, but for different reasons.

• Disney Vacation Planner

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    It scared me, but for different reasons.

For my son it was that snake! He's probably scarred for life now.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Don't forget to grap some online maps of the parks to make sure you know where all the first aid stations are, baby care center stations are on each park map and most importantly where all the restrooms are in each area. If you have maps from previous trips then take them out and mark the special areas on them so you can always pull them out and use stickers or markings to quickly identify the locations of all these very important spots you'll need to frequent during your visits to the parks.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Definitely utilize the Rider Swap program!

Thank you all for the advice!

We skip HISTA lately anyway, but that's a good call, I'd hate to have anything in Disney really scare her.

I'm definitely going to note the first aid and baby stations, I think besides magic kingdom I can't place any of them from memory, it's funny how differently you look at things with kids! The playgrounds seem like a better idea to us now as well.

I look forward to taking lot's of pictures, and agree, there isn't really going to be a "plan" this year, we're excited to see what she likes best and enjoys and are going to try to design it around her, and we're sort of Disney-planned out after years of over planning.

For the naps we both packed books to read that we've bought in Disney in previous years but never got around to reading, seemed like a good way to Disney-up Naptime for us!

We sat down and watched the Disney planning DVD with her, she seemed to enjoy parts here and there, but when the Philharmagic part came up, she went ballistic. She kept yelling "THIS!" "THIS!" and pointing at the TV, before running right up to watch it with a huge smile on her face.

As a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse junkie, I think the CGI Donald and Mikey keyed right into her

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

You didn't mention WHEN you're going. IF you'll be there in July, then Captain EO will be back at EPCOT. But that would probably scare the munchkin as it's VERY loud and Supreme Leader character is quite freaky.