Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The Study of Wumbo

Circle of Life movie

I don't want to have another one of those "Living With the Land... I gotta know..." threads, but...

Does anyone have anything to say about the Circle of Life: An Environmental Fable attraction in The Land? It seems to be like "the lost attraction" of The Land, for me. I've not seen it on our two trips. Has anyone seen this as well as the original Symbiosis? Is it worth the time? What is your experience with it?

It seems unusual nowadays to have plain, simple film attractions. They're a dying breed. Notably, with Golden Dreams in DCA.

Maybe it's time that this ride is replaced? It's been running for fifteen years. That's a long time. If it was replaced, it would probably be with another A or B ticket-ish attraction. Too many large-scale attractions in one pavilion makes for a bad balance.

What are your thoughts?
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Circle of Life movie

I've seen it a few times, but honestly not recently. I have nothing against it, and rather liked it when I did see it, but like you say, it's definitely a "lost" attraction.

If anything, maybe it's time to replace it again. I would think Wall-E would be a nice fit, if it HAS to be a tie in, but it would be great as another film as well.

Or, better yet, bring back the Kitchen Kabaret/Food Rocks there. Should be a big enough space to modify and fit the theater.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Or, better yet, bring back the Kitchen Kabaret/Food Rocks there. Should be a big enough space to modify and fit the theater.
    Hmm... I don't know how well that would fit in the current pavilion. KK was only added to appease the Kraft sponsors, right? There needed to be something food-related. Now there's no need and the pavilion's image has shifted.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

I personally think it's quite a well-made film and find it effective. Most people do walk by it, but I've also sat through quite a few full showings of it, so it really fluctuates. That being said, the Lion King already has a strong presence in the parks, and this could be a place to link something different.

A Wall-E themed film could serve the same purpose, but at the same time, Wall-E really belongs over at Mission: Space. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that perhaps an UP themed film might fit well here as the pavilion has now become just as much about air and flight as the ground below and I could see a film where Carl arrives in South America only to find it ravaged by loggers and he tells us how we can save the rain-forests and such
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

• Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    Hmm... I don't know how well that would fit in the current pavilion. KK was only added to appease the Kraft sponsors, right? There needed to be something food-related. Now there's no need and the pavilion's image has shifted.
    Who cares? I would pay to see KK again. When my sis calls her ringtone is Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit. I loved KK! On a side note it's a good thing there wasn't another K word involved in that attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceysGirl View Post
    Who cares? I would pay to see KK again. When my sis calls her ringtone is Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit. I loved KK! On a side note it's a good thing there wasn't another K word involved in that attraction.
    But there is already a surplus of live entertainment in Epcot. I've never once gotten to see all the acts I've wanted to, and adding a stage show further complicates that in my mind.
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

- Walt Disney

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleloveswalt View Post
    But there is already a surplus of live entertainment in Epcot. I've never once gotten to see all the acts I've wanted to, and adding a stage show further complicates that in my mind.
    It depends on what you mean by "live entertainment." KK is more comparable to the Enchanted Tiki Room than, say, Off-Kilter. There is not an abundance of A-A shows in Epcot right now.
    -Hale (wumbology)

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    It depends on what you mean by "live entertainment." KK is more comparable to the Enchanted Tiki Room than, say, Off-Kilter. There is not an abundance of A-A shows in Epcot right now.
    But it's still something you'd need to schedule into your day. And Epcot already has the grandaddy of them all in the American Adventure. Kitchen Kabaret certainly pales in comparison. And is it really necessary to have more than one AA show, especially when it's one that no longer fits the theme of the pavilion? Perhaps a new AA show or a live puppet show would work better?
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

- Walt Disney

• Member of Baxter's Army

Get the DisneyNature team to make a new film.

• and too all a good fright

^^ That is a great idea.

I am not a fan of the current film and recommend watching it on You Tube rather than at the park. The film is a bit depressing for a theme park experience (I know, its a depressing topic). The films solutions are a bit dated and naive (hey everybody carpool!). The film also feels a bit forced, by trying not to indemnify Disney. One shot shows places like vegas as being a strain on the environment. Well there is a logical leap to be made from Vegas to WDW. In the end the Disney characters do the right thing. In my mind it also suggests that because disney characters have done the right thing by building eco-friendly vacation villas, by association Disney has also done the right thing.

• Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Get the DisneyNature team to make a new film.
    I think this would be cool but it would have to be something really unique. I have seen Planet Earth tons of times and when I watched Earth I felt like I was watching a condensed version of Planet Earth with some new shots.

As for KK and having too many AA in the park, I don't really think that's possible. It seems like AA are being used less and less so I'd love to see an entire show or ride with them. As for KK being a "show" it was 13 minutes long so longer than the Tiki Room but shorter than American Adventure. I think another type of KK attraction would work here. I would personally like to see KK but that's because i love it. I think everyone wants the attraction that they love but is gone back.

• Now with 5% more insanity

Here's a thought. Why not tie one of the main issues in Florida with an AA show? Personally, I would love to see something about the disappearing Everglades and how it affects the creatures from their own mouths. Gators and other swamp wildlife AA's have been done before, yes, but I think it would be a good way to teach children about swamp preservation while not forcing them to stare at a screen. They do enough of that already.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Much like Ellen's addition to the Universe of Energy, Circle of Life is pretty much a more entertaining if a bit dumbed down version of Symbiosis. If I'm not mistaken, it even uses a good portion of the same film. I saw it once when it was new, so I can't really comment on how good it is.

According to all the junk I read on the internet, which is never wrong, the original concept of the Land pavilion was supposed to be more about geology. Kraft, being a food company, wanted it more about food so the pavilion became about agriculture, nutrition, and conservation. With the pavilion now without a sponsor and Soarin clearly departing from the food theme toward a theme about um... dropping the Gs from words, I guess, the pavilion can really go in any direction. Though with that huge food court, rotating restaurant, and Livin' with the Land (that is totally an inside joke that we don't let n00bs in on) I think it would be hard to ever truly shake the food theme.

I'd love to see something along the lines of the original geology idea, like a Journey to the Center of the Earth type thing, but I know there's no space for it. Kitchen Kabaret would be nice, but with environmentalism so popular right now and re-editing old footage so much cheaper and easier than actually making something new, I think we're more likely to see Wall-E's version of Symbiosis as the next occupant of the harvest theater.

Also, Animatronics at Epcot? That'll be the day.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I have never seen this film and keep trying to... with no success yet lol When we were there this past weekend, there was a decent sized crowd going into it. Maybe next time lol
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Could the Seasons of the Vine film work as replacement film for Circle of Life? (I know SotV might not get to far in terms of the current environmentalism theme.) It would be interesting if JttCoE was at The Land (and, quite fun.) Is there still some room left around The Land?

Timekeeper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast