Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Disney Memory Maker

Re: Fix the Yeti petition

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    They're adding to the Tower of Terror? That's news to me. What are they doing, exactly?
    They are adding new effects and drop sequences. It will premiere with Summer Nightastic on June 6th. Summer Nightastic is also bringing us the Main Street Electrical Parade (with updates) and the AMAZING fireworks that usually only show during the Princess and Pirate nights (INCLUDING parimeter fireworks). You can find more information if you gogole "Summer Nightastic" or go to a certain WDW website that is MAGICal.

Meh. I saw the designs. I was rather impressed at first, but then when I thought about it, much of it is just a stunt for more Princess merchandising. There's very little there to amuse an adult.
    Trust me, go with your instinct. Yes, attractions-wise, there will only be one additional one (the Little Mermaid), but you have to keep in mind that this makeover is going to completely redefine WDW's Fantasyland to totally knock all other fantasylands out of the water. This land is going to take any theming that Potterland has, and will double it. Trust, me, go with your instinct.

Except when it comes to buying other people's characters. See, this is what steams me the most - obviously rides and other attractions at the parks need additional investment, but the money needed is spent elsewhere
    Whoa, hold on there. You are talking about two completely separate divisions of the company. They serve very different purposes. There are reasons that different people run different sections of the company. Walt Disney World (and Disneyland for that matter) are each getting their fair share of additions, refurbishments and changes. Whats happening in the other arms of the company should have no baring on what goes on in the theme parks (except for synergy/cross-promotional reasons). And I'd hardly call purchasing Marvel a bad decision. Marvel is a money-maker and Disney is a business. Take Iron Man 2... it is being released by Paramount, but Disney is going to get a cut of that money because Marvel made the movie. Take Universal, if they so much as change anything about any of their Marvel attractions, it goes to Disney. Marvel is a money-maker... and so I say its a very good thing that Disney bought them. Not only will they recoup that money very quickly, it will provide more money for them to spend. Same reason why they bought Pixar. And as for "making your own property", that's utter bs and you know it. Did Walt Disney create Snow White? How about Sleeping Beauty? Cinderella? Or TV... did he "create" Davy Crockett? Moving on through Disney history, most of the major animated movies were all straight from fairy tales and loads of the technology used was created by other companies.

Or so goes conventional bean-counter wisdom. That Yeti ride is a disgrace. You all know very well that Walt would have spent anything needed to fix it. Instead, it languishes and becomes a joke. Pitiful, just pitiful.[/QUOTE]
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Signed!

The attraction is vastly different when the Yeti is in A mode compared to B mode.

Btw, on my last trip to DAK (March 31), the ride had no station mist, no cave mist, no bird on a stick, both waterfalls were off, no cloud effect and, of course, Yeti in B mode.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    They are adding new effects and drop sequences. It will premiere with Summer Nightastic on June 6th. Summer Nightastic is also bringing us the Main Street Electrical Parade (with updates) and the AMAZING fireworks that usually only show during the Princess and Pirate nights (INCLUDING parimeter fireworks). You can find more information if you gogole "Summer Nightastic" or go to a certain WDW website that is MAGICal.

Trust me, go with your instinct. Yes, attractions-wise, there will only be one additional one (the Little Mermaid), but you have to keep in mind that this makeover is going to completely redefine WDW's Fantasyland to totally knock all other fantasylands out of the water. This land is going to take any theming that Potterland has, and will double it. Trust, me, go with your instinct.

Whoa, hold on there. You are talking about two completely separate divisions of the company. They serve very different purposes. There are reasons that different people run different sections of the company. Walt Disney World (and Disneyland for that matter) are each getting their fair share of additions, refurbishments and changes. Whats happening in the other arms of the company should have no baring on what goes on in the theme parks (except for synergy/cross-promotional reasons). And I'd hardly call purchasing Marvel a bad decision. Marvel is a money-maker and Disney is a business. Take Iron Man 2... it is being released by Paramount, but Disney is going to get a cut of that money because Marvel made the movie. Take Universal, if they so much as change anything about any of their Marvel attractions, it goes to Disney. Marvel is a money-maker... and so I say its a very good thing that Disney bought them. Not only will they recoup that money very quickly, it will provide more money for them to spend. Same reason why they bought Pixar. And as for "making your own property", that's utter bs and you know it. Did Walt Disney create Snow White? How about Sleeping Beauty? Cinderella? Or TV... did he "create" Davy Crockett? Moving on through Disney history, most of the major animated movies were all straight from fairy tales and loads of the technology used was created by other companies..
    [/QUOTE]

It's not utter BS and YOU should know it. Disney created the version of Snow White everyone loves and remembers, ditto Sleeping Beauty and Davy Crockett. Is Disney going to do likewise to the Marvel characters and similarly make them its own? Don't think so. That's what makes them mere procurements and not part of the Disney pantheon. Iger and Eisner substituted dollars for creativity. That is not and should never be the Disney way IMO.

• The Study of Wumbo

Umm.. I definitely wouldn't call them stingy... They are adding to Tower of Terror... They aren't being cheap...
    They're adding to the Tower of Terror? That's news to me. What are they doing, exactly?
    They're adding new lighting effects and "an added drop sequence" for Summer Nightastic. This is really ambitious, 'cause, you know, light bulbs cost so much, right? But most people can't figure out what an "added drop sequence" is, because the Tower already has a program to randomize each sequence. No sequence is the same. So, not a lot of sense there.

The problem as I see it is that Disney thinks they can just re-do and add little things to existing attractions instead of spending the money to have major expansions. Unfortunately, this isn't enough.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Circle of Ancients

Having a petition asking Disney to fix the yeti is implying that they don't want to fix the yeti and that's just not the case.

• Make The Bumping Stop

^This, signing a petition will not put money in the park/land's budget. =(

• Occasional Reader

It might influence future budgets though.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

That Yeti ride is a disgrace. You all know very well that Walt would have spent anything needed to fix it. Instead, it languishes and becomes a joke. Pitiful, just pitiful.
    "That Yeti ride" is not a yeti ride - Maybe that's part of the problem - it's Expedition Everest - there is far more to the ride than the Yeti that you see for 3 seconds - It's not a disgrace (or any of the other things you've called it) - it's one of the best (and most popular, I might add) attractions in the entire resort. As I've said many times before, Walt's been dead for 44 years - we have no idea what he would or wouldn't have done. He may very well have wanted to spend anything to get it fixed - and then Roy would have tapped him on the shoulder and led him back to reality. Would I like it fixed? Absolutely - but I'd rather have the ride up and running to be honest. I'm not losing any sleep over a Yeti that doesn't work like it used to - it's still one of the best attractions in the park.

It's not utter BS and YOU should know it. Disney created the version of Snow White everyone loves and remembers, ditto Sleeping Beauty and Davy Crockett. Is Disney going to do likewise to the Marvel characters and similarly make them its own? Don't think so. That's what makes them mere procurements and not part of the Disney pantheon. Iger and Eisner substituted dollars for creativity. That is not and should never be the Disney way IMO.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is - Disney was constantly on the lookout for stories that he could use for his feature films. Read or watch interviews with any of the Nine Old Men and you'll see for yourself - Walt was regularly handing them books to read - stories that peeked his interest. With the exception of Mickey and friends, none of his feature films contained characters that he created. They have all become accepted as Disney creations because his versions were so fantastic that people forget the other versions.

• Banned User

Umm.. I definitely wouldn't call them stingy. Remember that this is the same resort that will be doing a total demolition of Toontown (and Dumbo), and creating, basically an entirely new Fantasyland. They are adding to Tower of Terror. Then of course there is the money spent on clearing the land for Flamingo Crossing (and a few new Downtown Disney stores), doing all the work on the new restaurants around World Showcase and all the constant refurb work that is going on around the "World" (including the new Star Tours and the recent refurb of Space Mountain).

They aren't being cheap, the budget right now does not allot for the Yeti being fixed. When the budget is available, and we get to a point (attendance-wise), where they can close Everest for a while without creating 3 hour lines at Kilimanjaro Safaris... it will get done.
    TDO is NOTORIOUSLY stingy (even by the standards of the entire company) and they've earned that reputation. Were you aware that the Fantasyland makeover and Star Tours II have both been forced on them by Disney head office? TDO wanted to keep the old, out of date original Star Tours -- now, that's stingy, and mind-boggling. And adding shops and restaurants is not exactly a gift to the fans; how about more rides? This is also the resort that builds half-day parks and then adds to them at a glacial pace, and only refurbishes a ride when it's practically falling apart at the seams (HM, SM, etc.)

I'm not saying they do everything wrong; for example, the HM refurb was a smashing success (albeit terribly overdue). I'm glad they got TSMM. They spent a lot more on their TOT than DLR did, and it shows. But when you look at all the areas of glaring need that have been neglected throughout the resort for years, and just left to fester...it is cheap.

Why keep incredibly bad and unpopular attractions like New Management and Stitch, for example? They flopped, yet they don't get replaced. The Studio Backlot Tour at DHS is pretty much a dud, and takes up a huge amount of space; why don't they use that room for something much better? They could have replaced that waste of space with an Indy ride, but of course that would cost money. Disney is a multi-billion dollar company that never has enough in the almighty budgets -- except when they're grossly overpaying to acquire more creative competitors who stole their thunder (Pixar, Marvel). Funny how they somehow find billions to buy up other companies, but can't afford to fix one AA. They "can't afford" it because they decided that they don't wan't to pay for it. Simple as that.

In Tokyo, I'll bet they would have fixed the yeti before it even broke down! In Orlando, because they never spent what they should to make AK a full day experience, they don't dare shut down Everest and fix it. Or maybe it's even worse than that -- maybe they couldn't care less that the star of the show can barely be seen in disco mode. AK is a fine park, but it needs more rides, and a TON of space is devoted to nature trails, Rafiki's Planet Watch and loads of plant life, which of course is all infinitely cheaper than adding something like Beastly Kingom.

As I said...their original cheapness is now an excuse for more stinginess, and I stand by my original statement.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 04-20-2010 at 01:33 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by celticdar View Post
    It's not utter BS and YOU should know it. Disney created the version of Snow White everyone loves and remembers, ditto Sleeping Beauty and Davy Crockett. Is Disney going to do likewise to the Marvel characters and similarly make them its own? Don't think so. That's what makes them mere procurements and not part of the Disney pantheon. Iger and Eisner substituted dollars for creativity. That is not and should never be the Disney way IMO.
    Yeah it is - Disney was constantly on the lookout for stories that he could use for his feature films. Read or watch interviews with any of the Nine Old Men and you'll see for yourself - Walt was regularly handing them books to read - stories that peeked his interest. With the exception of Mickey and friends, none of his feature films contained characters that he created. They have all become accepted as Disney creations because his versions were so fantastic that people forget the other versions.[/QUOTE]

Walt wasn't squandering billions to buy up other characters, he wisely used fairly tales, which are in the public domain. And he and his animators brought tremendous creativity to bear, to make those stories their own.

• Banned User

Except when it comes to buying other people's characters. See, this is what steams me the most - obviously rides and other attractions at the parks need additional investment, but the money needed is spent elsewhere, on junk like Michael Eisner's Muppet trophy hunt and on a bunch of superheroes - because it's a savvy business decision to buy known properties instead of risking creating your own. Or so goes conventional bean-counter wisdom.
    Couldn't agree more. They fail to nurture creative talent and fail to develop many exciting new properties and characters, then make up for these failings by paying ridiculous sums for creative rivals who may already have peaked in popularity (will super heroes continue to light up the box office? Disney better hope so).

Meanwhile, the parks get the minimum amount of investment that the company thinks it can get away with, while Disney pleads poverty. We're basically paying for their years of business blunders and ridiculous acquisition drives. That's why the parks are not the best they can be.

To hell with the bean counters. Instead of trying to buy up the whole world, why doesn't this company focus on their core assets, and try to make them the best they can be? Create greatness. Instead of using Walt's name like a rubber stamp on all their products, maybe they could learn from the founder and actually follow his example? But, of course, that would make too much sense...

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Walt wasn't squandering billions to buy up other characters, he wisely used fairly tales, which are in the public domain.
    Hmmm.... what a savvy business decision.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Hmmm.... what a savvy business decision.
    What's the implication of your post; that there's no difference between Walt and the cynics, soulless suits and bean counters running the company now? If that's what you mean, it is a laughable idea.

Starting from scratch, Walt consistently accomplished greatness with limited resources. The current administration started on the incredible foundation that Walt built, and have stumbled to a spotty record at best. And Walt never short changed Disneyland; he did the maximum, and risked everything over and over, to do right by his park. The current managers of the company do the minimum they think they can get away with.
    In order to accomplish what he did, of course Walt had to make some savvy decisions. I only wish the current board of directors were, collectively, half the businessman Walt was.

• The Study of Wumbo

I think the main problem here is that TDO believes that they don't absolutely need to fix the Yeti right now, so they won't. Unfortunately, that's the same philosophy that they have with most everything in the Resort.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast