Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Make The Bumping Stop

Re: Fix the Yeti petition

A lot more money to be made in markets outside of the parks. =X

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpeedo View Post
    It might influence future budgets though.
    You know what will influence the budgets? People spending $$.

The next time I see an online petition succeed will be the first time I've seen an online petition succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    What's the implication of your post; that there's no difference between Walt and the cynics, soulless suits and bean counters running the company now? If that's what you mean, it is a laughable idea.

Starting from scratch, Walt consistently accomplished greatness with limited resources. The current administration started on the incredible foundation that Walt built, and have stumbled to a spotty record at best. And Walt never short changed Disneyland; he did the maximum, and risked everything over and over, to do right by his park. The current managers of the company do the minimum they think they can get away with.
    In order to accomplish what he did, of course Walt had to make some savvy decisions. I only wish the current board of directors were, collectively, half the businessman Walt was.
    Oh please, give me a break. Walt was not some flake walking around with his head in the clouds with the attitude of "budget be damned - do whatever it takes!" Of course he short changed Disneyland - at the time it was built, he didn't have the money to do everything he wanted to do. That's the main reason that WDW exists in the first place - to take the money they made off Disneyland and invest it in the new venture and improve on it. He did what he could afford to do at the time. And I do not believe that the subsequent administrations have done too much stumbling- they've managed to take all of the ideas Walt had and make them a reality - all of it - parks, hotels, transportation systems, recreation, restaurants, etc...The next time you go down there, take a good look around - they maintain over 27000 acres of resort - and I defy you to find another organization that does that as well as Disney - actually, you won't find another company that has to - WDW is enormous.
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Yeti fixed but I would imagine there are a long list of priorities for Disney and, given our current economy, a Yeti that you see for 3 seconds in the dark on a ride is probably not at the top of the list - And I know what you're thinking - "they have money for Marvel comics, but they don't have money to fix the Yeti" Two different divisions of the same company - Companies that large do not put all the money in the same pot and have everybody dip into it when they need something - each division has it's own budget and business plan.

• Make The Bumping Stop

Quote Originally Posted by celticdar View Post
    , I would love to see the Yeti fixed but I would imagine there are a long list of priorities for Disney
    ^This

Safety things need to be addressed first. And I could name more than a few in Tomorrowland or Fantasyland, let alone all of the parks.

"they have money for Marvel comics, but they don't have money to fix the Yeti" Two different divisions of the same company - Companies that large do not put all the money in the same pot and have everybody dip into it when they need something - each division has it's own budget and business plan.
    Oh here it comes, the "well then they should take some money from them and give it to the parks" argument. What you have said is exactly spot on, but it will still be argued against that the money would have been better spent in the parks or on other creative things... blah blah blah. The truth of the matter is that Marvel is well established and has the potential to make a ton of money through movies and whatnot, one of the first things you are told when becoming a CM is that if someone does it better than Disney they are either bought or contracted. Last time I checked Disney didn't really have an established set of super heroes that appeal to tweens, teens, young adults, and adults. I could be wrong, but this seems to be part of the thinking behind some of it.

• Banned User

Oh please, give me a break. Walt was not some flake walking around with his head in the clouds with the attitude of "budget be damned - do whatever it takes!" Of course he short changed Disneyland - at the time it was built, he didn't have the money to do everything he wanted to do. That's the main reason that WDW exists in the first place - to take the money they made off Disneyland and invest it in the new venture and improve on it. He did what he could afford to do at the time. And I do not believe that the subsequent administrations have done too much stumbling- they've managed to take all of the ideas Walt had and make them a reality - all of it - parks, hotels, transportation systems, recreation, restaurants, etc...The next time you go down there, take a good look around - they maintain over 27000 acres of resort - and I defy you to find another organization that does that as well as Disney - actually, you won't find another company that has to - WDW is enormous.
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Yeti fixed but I would imagine there are a long list of priorities for Disney and, given our current economy, a Yeti that you see for 3 seconds in the dark on a ride is probably not at the top of the list - And I know what you're thinking - "they have money for Marvel comics, but they don't have money to fix the Yeti" Two different divisions of the same company - Companies that large do not put all the money in the same pot and have everybody dip into it when they need something - each division has it's own budget and business plan.
    The difference is that Walt did the absolute MAXIMUM he could with limited resources, moving heaven and earth to create Disneyland (did you know he sold one of his own homes to finance the DL railroad?). By sad contrast, Disney management today does the MINIMUM it thinks it can get away with, despite vast resources. And when Disneyland became a success, Walt reinvested every penny that came in, and he and his team built new attractions and E tickets (many of which still stand today, shaming the quality of many attractions that followed) at a furious pace. As soon as the money was there, they created greatness. By comparison, Disney management today reinvests at a pace that would make Scrooge proud.

Have they done some things right, since Walt? Yes, they have. They've also done some things wrong. But I'm talking about what they should be doing today. They need to take responsibility for the fact that they overexpanded, building parks faster than they could do them justice. Now apologists use that as one of their excuses for Disney management, i.e., "well they have soo many parks to take care of, it's soo hard to do right by all of them". Bull. It was their decision to build all those parks too fast, therefore it's their responsibility to do right by them and make them reach their potential.

Disney has the money, the manpower, the resources to pull it off. There is no excuse for "budget cuts" and "delayed projects" and "cancelled projects". It's all smoke and mirrors, people! The budget is whatever they decide it is. The current project is whatever they decide it is. They have billions of dollars in cash reserves, available credit, and annual profits. I know, I've looked at their financial statements online. The money is there.

There is no mystical outside force hacking and slashing away at the budgets; its not an act of God or nature. It's them. If they dont want to spend what it takes to create a great ride, they will spend less, and create a mediocre one. If they want to spend billions to acquire some other company instead, they will do it. Their hands are not tied. They could create amazing parks which have reached their full potential, and they would reap the benefits. But they have no vision and no pride, so they choose not to. It's easier just to buy up someone else's creativity. Not better, mind you, but certainly easier.

I will grant you that there are signs of improvement, and some parks are getting the love. I'm not calling for massive DCA-style construction at every park simultaneously. But, when they do decide to build or refurb or plus an attraction, it's always the same refrain; another damn budget cut. Or another project put on the back burner. They should follow the example of Tokyo, then they could charge a premium price for a premium product, instead of bribing people to overstuff the parks all year long.

Oh, and by the way, it's been reported many times on MiceChat that the company does in fact "rob Peter to pay Paul." In other words, they have often decided, at the head office level, to short change one division or one project to prop up another, underperforming one.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 04-20-2010 at 05:21 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    I think the main problem here is that TDO believes that they don't absolutely need to fix the Yeti right now, so they won't. Unfortunately, that's the same philosophy that they have with most everything in the Resort.
    Exactly. And a lousy so-called business philosophy it is. Don't amaze us, don't surpass our expectations. Do the minimum, that will be enough to live up to the Disney name. Uh, won't it?

• Make The Bumping Stop

It makes me more upset that they don't put an Uncle Remus AA in splash.

Disney has the money, the manpower, the resources to pull it off. There is no excuse for "budget cuts" and "delayed projects" and "cancelled projects". It's all smoke and mirrors, people! The budget is whatever they decide it is. The current project is whatever they decide it is. They have billions of dollars in cash reserves, available credit, and annual profits. I know, I've looked at their financial statements online. The money is there.

There is no mystical outside force hacking and slashing away at the budgets; its not an act of God or nature. It's them. If they dont want to spend what it takes to create a great ride, they will spend less, and create a mediocre one. If they want to spend billions to acquire some other company instead, they will do it. Their hands are not tied. They could create amazing parks which have reached their full potential, and they would reap the benefits. But they have no vision and no pride, so they choose not to. It's easier just to buy up someone else's creativity. Not better, mind you, but certainly easier.

Oh, and by the way, it's been reported many times on MiceChat that the company does in fact "rob Peter to pay Paul." In other words, they have often decided, at the head office level, to short change one division or one project to prop up another, underperforming one.
    So, basically the current economical situation not ringing any bells here for you? That would be the outside force to which you are referring and there's nothing mystical about it (well, not unless you're certain politicians, but I won't go there). Responsible companies keep large sums of cash in reserves so that they can continue to pay salaries and purchase goods and services even if there is another downturn - it's vital that they do this now more than ever - it's what will keep them from having to layoff huge chunks of their staff. If you think there's a difference now, you don't even want to know what that would look like.

As for the "no vision/no pride" thing - Really? These parks are the most visited vacation destinations in the world - because of the vision and the pride. Nobody does this better than Disney. Yes, there are flaws but the parks will continue to grow and change - just as they always have.

As for choosing to fix things in the parks or "buy someone else's creativity," buying Marvel comics (I presume that's what you're referring to) is not stopping them from fixing the Yeti - Large companies like this one have different budgets for different divisions.

• Banned User

Their penny pinching policies have been pretty consistent in both good times and bad. However, a recession just offers another handy excuse.

And speaking of Marvel...it was during this current recession (end of last summer) that this allegedly poverty stricken and cash strapped company somehow came up with $4 billion to buy the super heroes. So...they can find huge sums of cash, during a recession, when they decide to spend on something. But, if they decide to neglect one of their core assets, they'll plead poverty due to the recession. That's like Dad coming home with a brand new Porsche, then announcing to the kids that, due to this darned recession, he can't pay for their college tuition. Ah, shucks. Sorry, kids.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 04-21-2010 at 01:45 PM.

• Disney Fan

I just created a Fix the yeti group on Facebook. here is the link for anybody who would like to join.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by Dinoman96 View Post
    Here's a little petition that I made over at WDWMAGIC to get that old EE Yeti working again. Sign it here.

http://www.petitiononline.com/yeti8978/petition.html

So far, we're up to 32 signs, and 23 members in our social group.
    I and my ghoulfriend signed your petition. Now, you sign mine (the link is in my signature); and, if you're so inclined, please, sign my Twitition too!

Twitition - Restore The Hatbox Ghost To Disney's Haunted Mansion Attraction

Thank you,

H. B.

P.S. It may take multiple tries to get through to the Twitition site, as they are on Justin Bieber overload.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 04-21-2010 at 03:44 PM.

• Really!?

Question: When did the Yeti break?

because I was there during the summer of 08 it seemed to me like the Yeti hardly even stood out at all when on the ride...I'm now wondering if it was broken at the time???
    This chamber has no windows and no doors!!!! ....better take the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by KonLuvsDL View Post
    Question: When did the Yeti break?

because I was there during the summer of 08 it seemed to me like the Yeti hardly even stood out at all when on the ride...I'm now wondering if it was broken at the time???
    It's funny- but with all the discussion about it on this thread, I was trying to remember the same thing. I went on it the year it opened, and I've been on it every trip since - I honestly didn't notice the difference. I know that some of you live down there and go a lot more often that I do so you see it - the next time I go, I'll have to make an effort to pay attention to it - but you shoot by it so fast that it's tough to focus on it. I was on it in February of 08 and I remember the arm swooping down to take a swipe at riders. I was on it again in 2009 - don't remember it being that different. From what I've read on this board - it's been broken a little over a year now.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Krankenstein View Post
    Btw, on my last trip to DAK (March 31), the ride had no station mist, no cave mist, no bird on a stick, both waterfalls were off, no cloud effect and, of course, Yeti in B mode.
    I was very pleased to see, just last week, both the station mist and the (admittedly lame) bird on a stick working. I don't know about the waterfalls or cloud effect, but I do know that I rode the coaster 4 times in a row. Yeah, I'd like to see the yeti working again. But that's not the whole ride.

• Banned User

Their penny pinching policies have been pretty consistent in both good times and bad. However, a recession just offers another handy excuse.

And speaking of Marvel...it was during this current recession (end of last summer) that this allegedly poverty stricken and cash strapped company somehow came up with $4 billion to buy the super heroes. So...they can find huge sums of cash, during a recession, when they decide to spend on something. But, if they decide to neglect one of their core assets, they'll plead poverty due to the recession. That's like Dad coming home with a brand new Porsche, then announcing to the kids that, due to this darned recession, he can't pay for their college tuition. Ah, shucks. Sorry, kids.
    Exactly! This is the sort of thing that galls me about the current Disney administration. It neglects the things that make it uniquely Disney and yet buys up esthetically incompatible properties it really doesn't need - or wouldn't if anybody in charge was the risk-taker and visionary Walt was. Sad...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast