So this is AK's backstory?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRCJLvDNVCM"]YouTube - L@@k at The village beatniks @ Disney world Orlando Animal kingdom[/ame]

According to The Village Beatniks (The band at AK btw), the story is that an ant found Discovery Island, didn't like it, and put a magic seed in the ground that grew with animal carvings on it...is there a greater detail on this?

Also, was the ant Flik from A Bug's Life?
    Last edited by Dinoman96; 04-16-2010 at 08:11 AM.

• First Time Disneylander

Re: So this is AK's backstory?

Wow! I've never heard any of this before but it's really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

I wonder if this is the 'actual' backstory or if it's something they just made up for their song/act. Either way, it's still pretty fun.
    Last edited by drumbum67; 04-16-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: typo
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

I've heard the story before and think I may have read it in 'The Imagineering Guide to Disney's Animal Kingdom', I know I've seen it somewhere besides the Beatniks though, so someone else must think that's the official story, at least.
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

• Minion

I know it's in that Hidden Magic of WDW book.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleloveswalt View Post
    I've heard the story before and think I may have read it in 'The Imagineering Guide to Disney's Animal Kingdom.'
    I think I might have read that as well. I've got that on my bookshelf.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbum67 View Post
    I wonder if this is the 'actual' backstory or if it's something they just made up for their song/act. Either way, it's still pretty fun.
    Either way... it's cool if they just have it for their act, because then the park would be developing its own kind of mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinoman96 View Post
    Also, was the ant Flik from A Bug's Life?
    OH GOD I hope not. Probably not. Absolutely not. Imagineering doesn't think that way.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    OH GOD I hope not. Probably not. Absolutely not. Imagineering doesn't think that way.
    Well, they said an ant, which Flik is, planted the seed, and he's the star of "It's tough to be a bug", which is in the tree the ant planted, so...

• The Study of Wumbo

Well, they said an ant, which Flik is, planted the seed, and he's the star of "It's tough to be a bug", which is in the tree the ant planted, so...
    Okay, you can make that connection if you want to. Then what will happen when IT2BB moves out?
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Yes, that is the official backstory and no, the ant is not Flik. IT2BB came into the picture well after this story was written.

I've never found it, but somewhere in the root structure there is suppose to be a hole where you can see inside the ToL. Inside the hole, you find the ant holding the seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Krankenstein View Post
    I've never found it, but somewhere in the root structure there is suppose to be a hole where you can see inside the ToL. Inside the hole, you find the ant holding the seed.
    Really!? Someone needs to find this and share if it really is true! Where did you hear this? This would be very cool if true.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbum67 View Post
    Really!? Someone needs to find this and share if it really is true! Where did you hear this? This would be very cool if true.
    People I trust, I have it somewhere. Like I said, I've never seen it, but I haven't really gone looking for it. It's supposed to be deep in the root structure somewhere.

The one thing that is is for sure is that it is the backstory for Discovery Island and the ant is not Flik.
    Last edited by Krankenstein; 04-17-2010 at 12:05 PM.

I knew I had it somewhere! This is the legend and I was close, but it isn't the ant holding the seed in the roots. It's the ant carved into the center trunk. Sorry about that, it has been awhile since I looked over the legend.

The legend reads that there was once a very lonely ant. There were no other animals around for the ant to interact with so it tried to busy its time with scavenging. One day, the ant found a single seed, and with that seed it began its long journey to Discovery Island. The ant planted the seed into the ground and the Tree of Life began to bloom. The tree encouraged other animals to migrate to Discovery Island and the ant was no longer alone.

When the ant died, its spirit was the first to be carved into the trunk of the Tree of Life. As the animals began to pass away, their images also appeared to be carved within the trunk and roots of the tree. This was meant to thank the ant for his brave journey and the life he brought to Discovery Island.
    Image of ant in the center of the trunk:

Pretty neat, Thanks! I'll have to look for the ant next time I'm there!

With it not moving, maybe the Yeti should be on the Tree of Life. Lol.

• Make The Bumping Stop

With it not moving, maybe the Yeti should be on the Tree of Life. Lol.

It isn't the yeti's fault it can't move anymore, stupid concrete =(