• A Pirate's Life For Me

DL Vet Planning First Trip to WDW

Hi, I am active over on the DLR forum but this is my first post here. Can anyone help me with a few preliminary items? If there are recent relevant threads please just give me the link.

The plan: This trip is not meant to be a "take all the family and see all of WDW" trip. We just did one of those at DLR in August for four days. I will be on business in Florida and want to take my two youngest sons (9 and 11) for a 2-3 day trip to WDW.

1. What book or books would you recommend that can give me a rundown of the parks and tips on rides, special priviliges (e.g., Extra Magic Hours), hotels, etc.?

2. If we want to go sometime during the week of Feb. 27-Mar 3, how far in advance will I need to make hotel reservations?

3. Any special tips on buying tickets? At DLR you can get parkhopper tickets and move back and forth at will, but it seems WDW is more restrictive.

4. Anything special about late Feb or early March of which I should be aware vis-a-vis weather or special events or promotions?

Thanks.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: DL Vet Planning First Trip to WDW

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy
    1. What book or books would you recommend that can give me a rundown of the parks and tips on rides, special priviliges (e.g., Extra Magic Hours), hotels, etc.?
    I LOVE the Unauthorized Guide to Walt Disney World, they have some great tips in there and they update it every year. They also have a website where you can get crowd levels, best park to visit on what day and things of that nature for the day you go.

I also recommend the Passporter, its a vacation guide and a keepsake all in one! It organizes, has great color pull out maps and I honestly can't say enough about this book, I completely adore it. Then again I'm sort of a geek in that regard but it still holds a wealth of information.

2. If we want to go sometime during the week of Feb. 27-Mar 3, how far in advance will I need to make hotel reservations?
    That's a great time of year to go. I wouldn't push it any further past December to make a reservation but that's just my planning paranoia.

3. Any special tips on buying tickets? At DLR you can get parkhopper tickets and move back and forth at will, but it seems WDW is more restrictive.
    You can still park hop at WDW, it depends on where you are staying and your mode of transportation. Obviously it will take a little longer than hopping at DL but its still doable. We commonly start at AK in the morning and end up at one of the other parks for the remainder of the day.

4. Anything special about late Feb or early March of which I should be aware vis-a-vis weather or special events or promotions?
    I always use this website (www.allearsnet.com) It gives you a run down of everything as well as the closures, park hours, special events and even some side things you might not think of while your there.
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 11-02-2005 at 02:13 PM.

• Been there-Doing it again

The time you want to stay does not require reservations way ahead of time if you are just looking for a place to sleep. If a place to lay your head is all you want you can wait until a week ahead of time.

WDW still offers park hopper tickets but you have to pay extra for them. How you think you might use the parks will decide if you want to pay extra for them.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    I LOVE the Unauthorized Guide to Walt Disney World, they have some great tips in there and they update it every year. They also have a website where you can get crowd levels, best park to visit on what day and things of that nature for the day you go.
    I always use this website (www.allearsnet.com) It gives you a run down of everything as well as the closures, park hours, special events and even some side things you might not think of while your there.
    Thanks. I ordered the book yesterday. I have the Unauthorized Guide for DLR, but most folks do not rate it very highly. I have heard their WDW Guide is better. The All Ears site was also very helpful. I will wait until I read the book before I pop back in with more questions for the WDW experts.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Park hopping in WDW is a neccessity, IMO, especially in the off season. Imagine, going to the Magic Kingdom, staying till closing at 6pm, and then not being able to hop over to Epcot or the Studios for the evening. My normal routine is to visit one park in the morning, leave after lunch and hit my hotel for a swim or a nap (or both!), and then back to another park in the evening till closing.

You'll want to do some studying on ticket options. It's pretty well laid out on the WDW web site. Basically you buy your basic ticket for how ever many days you'll be there, from 1 to 10 days. This is a non-hopper, 1 park each day, ticket that expires very quickly (2 weeks?). Then you can add park hopper priveleges, and/or a non-expiring option. If you plan to go back, this non-expiring option is terrific, as the more days you get on your pass the cheaper it is (those last couple of days are something like $2!!!).