Average Distance Walked

We will be on the Deluxe Dining Plan and I know that I will probably gain some of the weight back that I have been fighting so hard to lose, but while I am doing my best to get into shape I was wondering if anyone who wears a pedometer would be willing to share what they have walked each day visiting the parks...

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Re: Average Distance Walked

I want to say that I averaged around 7-9 miles per day when I was tracking my walking at WDW with a pedometer. The most miles walked is always at Animal Kingdom. That place is huge!
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Another trip down I-4

An average day for me in the parks is about 10 miles - but I have a tendency to cover the same ground multiple times in a day.

• Occasional Reader

I've recently got GPS tracker Garmin watch..can't wait to try it out in the world.
    Tried it in Alton Towers (English theme park) and got 6 miles.
    It's good because you can then watch your route on Google earth.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

The time that I did take a pedometer with me (I forgot it on my most recent trip) I averaged about 8-9 miles a day. The first day was the longest at 12 and I had one with only 5 or 6. In 5 days, I walked a little over 40 miles. If you're concerned about the food you're eating, get a pedometer with a calorie burn figure. I know there are websites that have menus on them and one or two that have ingredients - I would be interested to see if there are any that have caloric content on them as well.

Someone put out a book about this exact subject. I apologize that I don't remember the person's name - I need to do a search on Amazon - but there is a weight loss plan created around walking in the parks. If I finally make this the year I get an annual pass and go more that once, I'm going to hunt it down. When you think about it, Disney really is the perfect place to exercise. The parks, especially the paths and walkways, are very well maintained and safe. Most of the areas are flat - all you need is a really good pair of shoes.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I actually took a pedometer with me about 2 years ago. I was surprised at the results.

I wore the pedometer ALL DAY...and we spent ALL DAY in each park listed below.

MK-----a little over 3 miles. I figured this would be the biggest...since there's so much to do...but, I forgot that things are bunched up together..which requires less walking.

AK---This was the second highest mileage. Just at 5 miles. I contribute it to us not being all that familiar with it, and retracing our steps more than once to get back to something we had missed.

Epcot---a little under 5 miles. A start off in Future world, cover it, then go around World Showcase once. We backtrack only once, when we head back to Japan to watch Illuminations.

And the big winner....DHS. We walked an amazing 7 miles here. Me and my husband were pretty shocked, because this park doesn't have a whole lot that we like to do. Then, we realized, that everything is SO spread out! That what contributed to alot of walking.

My suggestion? Go into DHS with a game plan. Know what you want to ride, and how to group things together. This would be beneficial in AK too. That would cut down on retracing your steps, backing up...and wasting steps.

• Indiana Scott

Great idea, we'll be there in 9 days and I'll bring a ped.
    FWIW, when we took one to DLR we averaged 6.5 miles a day.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I did it a few years ago and if I remember correctly I averaged about 7-11 miles a day.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    My suggestion? ... Know what you want to ride, and how to group things together. This would be beneficial in AK too. That would cut down on retracing your steps, backing up...and wasting steps.
    Thanks all for your feedback. Personally I won't mind the walking, especially with the Deluxe Dining Plan. The goal is to not put back on too much in 180 days which I am still fighting to lose now.

good luck with your plan. i always thought i should lose some weight while down on vacation, but it never seems to work! i'm far from overweight, and i don't indulge on anything. we haul *** through the park, and i usually have a backpack on, loaded with about 20-30 pounds of crap!!