• Nutty about Disney parks

compare/contrast theming of WDW Resorts

OKay the reason that this thread is here instead in Hotel Reviews is because this is more about the design and look of the Disney resorts in WDW than it is about the services and amenities. (If you really think it should be there though, fine)

But I was just wondering what your thoughts are about the theming and design of the WDW Resorts. Which themes are your favorites and which ones do you not like?

I love the Port Orleans Resort designs of both sections. Absolutely gorgeous and makes you feel like you really are in the bayou. Though sometimes I wonder if it is a bit too overthemed...especially since it's a moderate resort. It's kinda weird to me how the moderate resorts are designed because most of them are only two stories tall and they're all divided into numerous small buildings. This is in comparison to the deluxe resorts where it's just two or three massive buildings with numerous stories.

Also love the Animal Kingdom Lodge theming.

As far as unpopular themings, I'd go with the Value Resorts. Yes I know the big giant statues are supposed to appeal to little kids and all but to me it's way too tacky even for a Disney Resort. Who's to say that a child wouldn't enjoy the more elaborate theming of other more expensive Disney Resorts? I wouldn't mind staying at Value Resorts if not for its tackiness. My favorite is the All Stars Music because compare to the other Value resorts, the theming seems less overkill.

Which resorts do you think have the best theming? Do you think that some are underthemed? Or overthemed? Share your thoughts.

And sorry if this is a repetitive and pointless discussion. But I love talking about the Disney hotels. They're one of my favorite aspects of Disney resorts.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: compare/contrast theming of WDW Resorts

I agree with you on the All-Star resorts. Giant decorations isn't my idea of "theme". It's more.... giant decorations.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Johnny and Me!

IMO, Wilderness Lodge has the most convincing theming. From the lobby with the fireplaces and woodcarving to the landscaping and water outside, I felt like I was actually in a national park. It coordinates nicely with neighboring Bay Lake as well.

• Occasional Reader

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post

As far as unpopular themings, I'd go with the Value Resorts. Yes I know the big giant statues are supposed to appeal to little kids and all but to me it's way too tacky even for a Disney Resort. Who's to say that a child wouldn't enjoy the more elaborate theming of other more expensive Disney Resorts? I wouldn't mind staying at Value Resorts if not for its tackiness. My favorite is the All Stars Music because compare to the other Value resorts, the theming seems less overkill.
    Who's to say that the values don't appeal to adults ?
    I like the values...

Regarding the other resorts, if you theme around a parrticular place and time, then you have a benchmark, so long as your resort passes for the place and time, then the theme is a success. People might not like it, but as long as they consider it a match for the theme then it's done it's job.
    With the values, there is nothing you can judge them against (Easter Island isn't exactly a match). I think that their reputation is therefore more based on whether they appeal personally. I know people judge them equally, especially the all stars.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I have stayed at Port Orleans, Carribean Beach and all the values. Of the hotels I have stayed at, Port Orleans is my favorite in terms of theming. As for all the hotels, I like Poly the best. I have never stayed there (I am too cheap) but my sister will be staying there this upcoming trip and we are planning a full day to hang out at the Poly and use all the amenities there. So I will get to check out the rooms and everything. This may finally get me to loosen my purse string for the next trip
    BUT>>>my 3 year old likes the values. So do my neice and nephew. They like the giant statues. They like the bucket of soldiers at AS Movies. They like the 3 Caballeros shooting at him from the pool at the AS Music. They don't care for the theming of the Poly- that is looks like Hawaii or some other Polynesian island. They like the characters, and the values cater to them. Out of the values, my favorite is the AS Music. I prefer it over Pop- which I know I am in the monority on this one. But I think you have to keep in mind who they are aiming at when they theme these resorts. The values are themed to children and families. Not adults. That is what the moderates and deluxes are for. The children would be happy staying at the Deluxes and Moderates, but they are happy with the theming of the values. Since I travel with my children, I stay at the values since this is where they like to go the best. When I traveled without the kids, I stayed at the Moderates.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ