Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

DL Vet's first trip to WDW as a couple 4/29-5/2

My partner and I both have been to WDW. I went 4 years ago with an Ex and his Parents. It was a nightmare trip due to his parents not being able to handle the heat. I never thought I could have a horrible time at a Disney park. My partner went when he was around 12 years old. So this seemed like a first time trip for the both of us. We both frequent Disneyland at least twice if not three times a year. DL is our home park and we love it so much. But with my partner having a convention to attend in Orlando, we decided why not do a quick trip to WDW for 3 days.

We had a lot to get use too. The heat, the crowds and having to take a bus. For two people who are use to walking between parks, walking to our hotel and walking to DTD, it was a big adjustment and a huge learning experience. We had a great time, but I have a feeling we'll do things differently when we go back in a couple years.

Click here to see all 640+ pics. Used a new pocket camera, which took some great pics and some not so great, but oh well.

DAY 1
    My trip started off really nice. I got sat next to a 3 year old on the plane, who schooled me on all things Disney related. He even asked me to watch Monsters, Inc. together on the flight out to Orlando. As we got off the plane, he waved and said, “See you in Florida and at Mickey’s House!”. Too cute.

This trip had many things for us to get use to. Never again will we go commando style through 4 parks in 3 days. That, plus I think the next time we go, we’re going to go during a cool month. Is there such a thing? LOL

Once I arrived, Steven had already checked us in so he met me at the front of Pop Century and took me to our room. We walked around the grounds, took some pics, got something to drink and of course, went shopping in the gift shop. Pop Century is a great Value Resort. No frills or anything like that, but it’s big, plenty of space, lots of pools, friendly staff and it’s clean. It’s all someone like us would need in a resort. Although I must say, after dealing with the heat and humidity, I could see us utilizing the resort more. Next time we go to WDW, we’ll go to the parks from 8-1, swim and nap in the afternoon at the resort, then back to the parks around 6 until close. The heat zapped us completely. We’re use to 80 degree days, 50 degree nights, slight breeze and no humidity at DL. Plus, the amount that we had to walk is twice if not three times as much. Not to mention the added time needed for traveling all around on busses. Having to schedule a good hour to get anywhere takes some planning. Something neither one of us like to do.

Stayed at Pop Century in the 80's building. Never got a chance to go swimming, although after it got so damn hot, I would have enjoyed that.

We arrived at DTD around 7pm and ate at Captain Jacks. It was the only place that didn’t have much of a wait if you wanted to sit at the bar. The crab cakes were very good and our bartender was very nice. We wandered around the East and West side as well as Pleasure Island. Boy, is that place a ghost town. We did a bit of shopping, but mainly spent most of our money at the Christmas Store. We stocked up on some new ornaments for our Disney Tree.

We headed back to PC around 11pm that night. We both were exhausted and wanted to be up bright and early to catch the earliest bus to Animal Kingdom.

DAY 2
    We were at the bus stop at 7:30, bus picked us up at 7:45 and we were there at AK by 8:30am. We only had 30 minutes to wait before opening and rope drop. Watched Mickey, Minnie and Goofy greet us and then we followed the CM’s behind the rope to Everest Expedition. Steven’s not crazy about coasters that go backwards, so I didn’t tell him anything about EE. He ended up loving it, although he had to “rest” a while. We wandered around the Tree of Life, taking tons of pictures. I'm bad with names of attractions, but we rode the Safari, the Train which takes you to some silly conservatory thing which we did NOT like and found it a waste of time, EE, Finding Nemo and Lion King and Dinosaur ride. We loved Dinosaur, Nemo and Lion King and we loved just walking around taking pictures and enjoying looking around.

We stayed at AK from 9am until 3pm, then headed to EPCOT for the rest of the afternoon and evening until about midnight. We rode Spaceship Earth (loved it!), Finding Nemo, Soarin', Test Track and that Three Caballero's thing. Steven kept rolling his eyes. We spent a lot of time looking at all the flowers and topiaries, taking lots of pics. Once we finished our time there, we started our walk around The World, having a few cocktails along the way and checking out a few shops. We were good and didn't buy a thing! We started to get hungry around 8pm and grabbed some fabulous Fish and Chips, then took our food to the bridge nearby and watched Illuminations. For some reason we thought it was much longer. Not sure why, but we loved seeing it again. We like to end each evening just walking around, shopping and soaking up the atmosphere, which is so enjoyable at EPCOT.

My favorite pic from the entire trip.

We got back to Pop Century exhausted, and hit the sack since Saturday was our "up in the air" day. We had no plans and were going to play it by ear.

Re: DL Vet's first trip to WDW as a couple 4/29-5/2

DAY 3
    We were moving kind of slowly on Saturday morning. But we got up around 7am, ate some breakfast and decided on what to do and where to go that day. We had no plans. MK was only open until 7pm due to grad nights (which we didn't realize) and we had already planned on going to MK from 8am to 1am on Sunday. We wanted to walk around EPCOT some more and ride Spaceship Earth again, so we hopped on the bus to EPCOT.

We spent about 3 hours, doing another walk through and taking more pictures. We did a little shopping as well. We forget how big EPCOT is and how long it takes to walk around WS. By the time we got finished we were tired, but decided to plug away and head to DHS around noon. Even though DHS has many of the rides that DCA and some that are at DL, we decided to check it out and see what was different.

We rode ToT which was very different from the one in DL. We loved it. We went on Rockin' Rollercoaster. It's one of my favorites and Steven had never been. He loved it as well, but wished it wasn't so short. We followed that attraction with backstage tour, TSMM and the Great American Movie ride (?). TSMM is pretty much the same but with better theming in the queue. I find the movie ride to be quite humorous, but Steven wasn't amused. I think he might have fallen asleep.

By this time, we were completely tired, worn out and the heat was getting to us pretty bad. We live in Texas and it still was too much for us. Must be the humidity. The park was so crowded you could barely move. They said that due to grad nights at MK, most spent the day at DHS instead that Saturday. Long lines for food and attractions, and was even going to take 6 hours to have our name put on a set of ears. Needless to say, it didn't take long to become frustrated, so we found a nice little bar towards the back of the park with a very friendly bartender who made us great, strong drinks. We had a few of those, followed by tons of water. We walked around one last time and and decided to leave around 6pm. We were done for the day. This is so strange for us since we're use to open to close.

We went back to PC to nap and freshen up before heading to BLT to go to Top of the Tower for a few cocktails which was offered to us by a very gracious DVC member who was there. It was beautiful up there and the view of MK is wonderful. We got to see the um....boat, light show thingy on the river? Not sure what it was called.

DAY 4

Today was the day that we had been waiting for. We're such HUGE Disneyland fans that our focus and goal was to experience Magic Kingdom together. The other parks were more "perks" to our trip than anything else.

To be perfectly honest, after the othe 3 parks, I think we might have spent one day doing AK and EPCOT and the other two days fully at MK. Hindsight is always better than foresight.

Being this was the 4thday and the 3rd day in a park, our poor feet and legs were killing us. We found the new Disney crocs that have these white stripes around the base, so we both purchased a pair around 7am and switched shoes before heading to the bus stop. These shoes saved our feet. Luckily, we got there pretty early because we didn't realize that MK is way longer of a drive than any of the other parks. Have I mentioned yet that we now officially hate busses?

We love experiencing rope drop.

We made it just in time as the opening started. Rather than walking in and running straight to get a fast pass, then ride another normally busy attraction, we decided to relax, take our time and just do what we can, when we can. We went up to the train station to take some pics, then wandered around mainstreet for an hour or so, shopping and having some coffee. It's odd to look around and go, Where's the Emporium or Disneyana at? Where's the coffee shop? Where's this or that? We had to get acclimated.

MK wasn't that busy that morning for some reason, so we were able to really enjoy the morning with it not being very busy until around noon. We wandered around the Hub having a Photopass taken every time we saw one. Which by the way, we rarely saw any Photopass people. We usually leave DL with about 80 pics with two parks and we were lucky to get out of 4 parks with only 40 pictures. It was strange.

On the left hand side going towards Tomorrowland, there's the photo op spot that had a photopass guy. We walked up and the first thing he asked was, "So how do you guys know each other?" I found this odd at first and didn't realize why he was asking. I guess I'm a little slow at times. I asked him what he said, he repeated and I'm like, "Oh, well we're Partners". So he asked us to pose and "act like we liked one another" and get close, which we did. He then said, "OK, now for the kissing shot! I was kind of caught off guard. LOL So we kiss and he starts counting, 1, 2, 2 1/2, 2 3/4, 3!!". When we looked up there were a few people standing there and many walking by who were all smiling really big. That made us feel SO good and it absolutely made our day. It was a great way to start off.

The reason I mention how much this moment meant for the both of us, is that we wore Happy Anniversary buttons on Saturday. Most CM's would glance at the button, then just smile and then look away. Out of all the contact with the many CM's we only had a handful actually say Happy Anniversary. It didn't ruin our day of course, but it did make us aware that I think Disney has some training to do with CM's regarding same sex couples wearing buttons. They all should be acknowledged. The CM's often just seemed uncomfortable or didn't know what to say.

We started riding finally around noon and rode TTA (I so miss this from DL), Buzz Lightyear, the Train, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Railroad, Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, Jungle Cruise. Snow White, Philharmagic, POTC, Tiki Room (which is an abomination!) and IASW. We had all of this completed by 6pm! We were given fast passes by someone at one point, went and retrieved a 2nd set, then rode something else while we waited for those two FP times to show up. We rode HM, SM and BTR within 40 minutes. It was crazy.

We enjoyed the Celebrate Parade and loved seeing Miss Piggy and Kermit. It was like seeing Royalty. :rotfl: We loved the spot we got. I posted this on FB, but not one seemed to get my sense of humor. We found a spot in the shade on Main Street, behind two people who were on scooters. They couldn't stand, so we had perfect viewing! The family behind us was literally trying to physically move us to the side so they could get in front of us which there was no room since we were right up against the scooter people. They were an average of 5'2" tops so they figured they could stand in front of us. I couldn't believe they were physically trying to push us aside.

We rode a few attractions again, before spending the rest of the time spending money before finding a perfect spot for SpectroMagic, which we absolutely LOVED! I like sparkly, glittery night time parades. Again, we grabbed a great spot with a bunch of people in front of us who sat the entire time. The odd thing? I'm not sure what country they were from, but any character that was evil or bad, they all booed and gave the thumbs down. Has anyone ever seen or heard this done?

After the parade, we wandered closer to the HUB to watch Wishes. Got a great spot in the middle of MS. I can't tell whether or not I like Remember from DL or Wishes from MK. I think I'm leaning towards Remember though. Loved the fireworks. Always our favorite part of the evening.

We spent the rest of the next two hours doing our final, slow walk around the park. We like to visit the shops one last time, buy our last minute items, soak up the atmosphere and kind of say good bye.

We ended up at the wishing well at Cinderella's castle and took pics of our hands/rings on the well and again, told each other how much we love each other and reaffirmed our commitment to one another. It's become a tradition for us when we go to DL, so we figured we would do it at MK.

Always the first pic we take when entering the park

Trying on hats for the day

One of my favorite buildings on MS

Perfect photo op

Loved our Photopass guy. I have to still get the photopass photos online and will post later.

Our new comfy shoes that saved our lives!

TTA is one of my favorite rides. So relaxing.

Another perfect photo op

Royalty!

The skipper took our picture when he caught us struggling to take it ourselves. Plus he made a big deal that we interrupted his flow.

Great way to cool off on this hot day

Loved the difference in the MK HM version. Although I'm use to seeing the entire building, not just a portion.

There's bloooooood on the saddle........

Twilight is my favorite time of day at any park

Odd to see this covered at MK, but it's quite beautiful

I have a thing for horsies.

I'll give a short wrap up of my overall feelings about the trip tonight.
    Five more images on the next post. Just found out I can only have 25.

So peaceful on this side of the park late night.

My favorite color

I think our rings are getting a little beat up. Steven wants to upgrade already. LOL

Leaving.....always a sad time.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Great TR! Thanks for sharing. Glad you seem to have a good time. The humidity can be tough, though!
    And...Happy Anniversary!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Great report! It can be real hot and humid out there. I know the feeling, i was there in the summer.
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• Seasick

Wonderful trip report!

You did a good job highlighting the differences between the two resorts. The size and scope, and the toll it takes, no doubt comes as a shock to many guests who do the DLR commando style with ease.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Happy Haunt

Happy Anniversary! I love how you guys always reaffirm your commitment at the well. That's so cute! If you guys do WDW again always always always go back to your hotel at midday. I know it's kind of a pain in catching the bus etc. but totally worth it. You'll feel much better after a rest and cool down. I've done park opening to closing never once leaving the park and you really do feel miserable after the day is done. I hope you guys enjoyed your trip!

Thanks everyone! We really did enjoy our trip. You would think being from Texas that we would be use to the heat and humidity, but to be honest, on days like that around here we are either in a swimming pool or staying inside where it's airconditioned. LOL

But you're right, next time we'll split the days in half only going morning and evening and just enjoy the pool in the afternoon. We learned our lesson.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Really great report! I like that each day ends the way I'd want to: with a drink.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Really great report! I like that each day ends the way I'd want to: with a drink.
    The only way to end a day of dealing with crabby parents and crying children. LOL

• Blow me to Bermuda!

That was great. Happy Anniversary!!!

DLR is our home park too but we're considering doing WDW next March instead. I'm still not completely sold, but my kid really wants to go and with Easter so late next year, I'm hoping we may get a little bit of a break on the spring break crowds in mid March.

It's nice to read it your report as we do DLR pretty much the same way I think. Afternoon breaks, got it. lol

Enjoying the warmth and sunshine of Phoenix between Disney trips.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Wonderful trip report and Happy Anniversary! You really packed a great deal into your visit.

We've been to WDW in June, October, and January. June we go early in the month for Gay Days, so it is hot, but bearable. October, pretty comfortable, but one must be prepared for more short showers. January was quite nice both times we went that month.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I LOVE your DIsneydork shirts!!!!!! SO cute!

Looks like ya'll had a great time! Thanks for sharing with us.

Quote Originally Posted by wvnative View Post
    That was great. Happy Anniversary!!!

DLR is our home park too but we're considering doing WDW next March instead. I'm still not completely sold, but my kid really wants to go and with Easter so late next year, I'm hoping we may get a little bit of a break on the spring break crowds in mid March.

It's nice to read it your report as we do DLR pretty much the same way I think. Afternoon breaks, got it. lol
    Thank you! And yes when you go, afternoon breaks by the pool are a must and even when you get back at midnight. That would be heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMaxx View Post
    Wonderful trip report and Happy Anniversary! You really packed a great deal into your visit.

We've been to WDW in June, October, and January. June we go early in the month for Gay Days, so it is hot, but bearable. October, pretty comfortable, but one must be prepared for more short showers. January was quite nice both times we went that month.
    We're use to going commando style through a park at DL/DCA. We tried that at WDW and it just doesn't work. I think the next time we go, will definitely be in Jan/Feb/March.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    I LOVE your DIsneydork shirts!!!!!! SO cute!

Looks like ya'll had a great time! Thanks for sharing with us.
    Thanks! We made those ourselves. Even did another one with a more 50's color block logo style. We've created a few tshirts of our own. We get more comments on those when we wear them at the parks. People want to know what store we bought them at. LOL

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast