Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fireworks Viewing

Hello Everybody!
    I get to go to WDW for my honeymoon! I will be there over the 4th of July, and would love to see the celebration. Anyone have any favorite spots? I'm just a California boy who doesn't know anything about my eastern cousin.
    Also, got any tips for a couple who is experiencing WDW for the first time on their honeymoon?
    Thanks,
    irishman_83

• Disney Memory Maker

For the MK, stand in the middle of Main Street in the area between the side street and the confectionary.
    For Epcot, great spots can be found at the entrance to WS, next to the American Gardens Theater (to the right when you face it) and anywhere where there isn't trees or an island in your way.
    For Fantasmic, I suggest as close to the center and the bottom as you can (if you don't want to get wet, don't go to the bottom few rows).

For the 4th of July, if you want real patriotic fireworks, go to the MK where there will be fireworks 'in the round.' If you want to see an amazing display that will literally rock the ground with hundreds of shells bursting at once, go to Epcot. If you want to see a rare fireworks show (although it isn't anywhere near the greatness of Sorcery in the Sky), go to DMGM to see their patriotic-movie related fireworks. My advice if you do choose to go to MK, plan on staying there most of the day as the gates close early for capacity.

Hypothetically, it is possible to see the 3 major shows on the 4th. MK's Wishes/Patriotic Finale is usually at 9pm. Take a quick bus/monorail ride over to Epcot to see the 10pm Illuminations showing, and than either boat or [literally] run to DMGM to attempt to get into the last showing of Fantasmic. If you don't want to see wishes, the DMGM firework show is usually also at 9pm. Although technically this all is possible, don't count on making the Fantasmic showing if you are going to see Illuminations unless you are a very fast runner (I mean Olympic-fast).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

North Georgia Now, but Born & Raised in Jersey

Question

DH & I are also curious about the fireworks on the 4th. We will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge with our 9 yo dd and have plenty of time to see all the parks. That date is also DH's birthday. Are there any restaurants where we could reserve a table with a view of the fireworks in any of the parks? I think I read somewhere that someone recommended the restaurant on the top floor of the Contemporary Resort?
    Lisa
    Aruba Bound!
    Hoosier Kitties
    [Countdown=&day=1&month=7&year=2005&hour=5&min=55&s ec=55]Our Adopted D's First Trip to Disney:[/countdown]

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by arubalisa
    DH & I are also curious about the fireworks on the 4th. We will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge with our 9 yo dd and have plenty of time to see all the parks. That date is also DH's birthday. Are there any restaurants where we could reserve a table with a view of the fireworks in any of the parks? I think I read somewhere that someone recommended the restaurant on the top floor of the Contemporary Resort?
    The California Grill does indeed offer views of Wishes (I think they play the music to). The bad part of this is that you don't get the full show. Personally, I recomend eating beforehand and then see the firework show. Mk's 4th show is in the round so you have to be in the Magic Kingdom (specifically on Main Street) for it to be extra special. Although you can see, hear and feel Epcot's 4th finale pretty much anywhere in the resort, the regular show has to be viewed from World Showcase. Fantasmic has to be viewd from the theater and DMGM's 4th fireworks are mainly low level and are created with the Hat as the backdrop. Very few restaurants offer the full experience. For MK, the closest you'll get to great is the California grill. For Epcot, it is the English restaurant.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by arubalisa
    If you want the best experience, eat at Artist Point, then take the boat to the Magic Kingdom to see the 4th of July Fireworks. Fantasyland is an excellent spot, as are the Magic Kingdom boat docks.

• Minion

Here is a Wishes Nighttime Spectacular photo from the rooftop of the Contemporary's California Grill.

Yes, they do have music playing and you can go out onto the rooftop for outside viewing of the fireworks. You don't get the full experience of the Wishes show, but it is an amazing restaurant and an awesome view! I loved it and can't wait to do it again!

Aaron

• Filet Minion

Absolute BEST viewing spot for Wishes? Right smack where the "Partners" statue (of Walt and Mickey) lies.

But I jest. As to where to stand for the best view? Last I was there in February, I found dead center in front of Cinderella Castle to be a great spot, standing right on the curb. In my case, I had a rehab wall to lean up against, so I got LOTS of amazing pictures, most of which are posted online at my fotopic.net site. Here's a great one I took from that trip for an example:

(Taken with 1/13 sec shutter at f/2.8 on a Canon Powershot A70)

The main problem is that I had to stake out that spot for about an hour or so during the off-season; imagine what it may be like on the 4th!

However, I will say one thing, both in regards to the fireworks and to your honeymoon. There's nothing like the light of the castle reflecting off the face of someone you love, and this location WILL take your breath away.
    "Don't know. Mongo only pawn in game of life."

Its your lucky day!

Its definately your lucky day because the same time last year I WAS on MY honeymoon at WDW. Things to do:
    1) Chefs Table at Victoria & Albert's (Restauraunt)
    This is a very unique and expensive experience at the Grand Floridian Hotel. You are ushered into a private area and watch the amazing chefs and Victoria and Albert's prepare you a special meal. My wife and I had over 6 courses, and stuffed ourselves silly with some of the best food we ever had.
    (RESERVE THIS EARLY)
    2) 4th of July- The English Pub at Epcot.
    Make sure you reserve this now, and on top of that show up 30 minutes before your reservation time (set it up late so you can still view the show) and request the patio seating. The special fireworks after illuminations was amazing, they are so close that you actually can feel your chest contract with each explosion. At one point there were so many fireworks that it looked like it was daytime.
    3)California Grill- A definate Must
    Ask to sit in the wine room. (Really Quiet Room with a few tables, very romantic) Get a late time for this place as well, so that you can watch the wishes firework display. Our server told us 5 minutes before the show started so we could go outside and view the fireworks and music. It was a very unique experience from the top of the hotel. Plus our server made sure that our different courses didn't interfere with our viewing time. (Didn't have any cold food) And if I can make a recommendation for sushi, the Snake in the Grass was excusisite.
    4) BUY A MICKEY TOP HAT AND MINNIE VAIL (sp?)
    Our honeymoon was amazing because of these little magical hats. Where them everywhere you go and its amazing what happens. We got special seating at all sorts of shows. We got amazing tables for eating with special views. FREE FOOD AND WATER! Free shirts. I got picked for about a dozen interactive shows. And we even got to ride Rockin' Rollercoaster 4 times straight. (I wasn't feelin' so hot after that) If you do one thing on this list you MUST buy these hats its worth every penny I promise you.
    5) Hoopty doo Revue!
    A very and happy go lucky dinner show. Funny acts, great food, and good time all around. My wife got a picture of me holding up the bucket of BBQ to the waitress asking for more food, and laughs at my expression everytime she sees the picture.
    6) And last but not least Cinderrella's Royal Table for Breakfast
    Quite possibly the hardest thing to get prioirity seating for, but fun nevertheless. You get tons of pictures with Princess' and we got two Champange flutes from Cinderella herself. Lots of fun and a good breakfast to boot. Plus if you setup the reservation before the park opens, you have the oppurtunity to jump onto rides before anyone else. (front of the line)

If I think of more Ill post them. Or if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them, and If I can't Im sure my wife can. MAKE SURE YOU CALL IN YOUR PRIORITY SEATING ASAP. START NOW!!! Can't stress this enough, it will make it all the better.

Steve

• Disney Prince

4th of July? You should do Illuminations instead...it has a much more impressive fireworks display. But if you really want Wishes, go anywhere down mainstreet and keep the castle in the center to get the full effect....the partners Statue area is not a good place as the castle is too near and blocks some of the fireworks from view, mainstreet will give you the complete experience.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by stitcharielsinbad
    If you really want Wishes, go anywhere down mainstreet and keep the castle in the center to get the full effect....the partners Statue area is not a good place as the castle is too near and blocks some of the fireworks from view, mainstreet will give you the complete experience.
    I'm going to agree with this. Main Street is the best spot (even though it is now listed in the MK brochure). Besides the view, another good thing is you don't have to stake a spot an hour in advance. Even during the summer season, I wouldn't recomend getting a spot more than 10 minutes before it starts. After Spectromagic, people are crowding to get out, just stand in the direct center (it also helps to have something right in front of you like a stroller or another person). If you'd like to see the parade and don't mind waiting, another great spot is on the train station.

-Michael

• Frequent WDW Visitor

Having done the 4th of July fireworks last year (even paid to get in since it was a CM block out date -- crazy, I know), I can give you a couple of hints.

My recommendation is to show up EARLY and get a spot in the hub, where the "Partners" statue of Mickey and Walt is. Because the Independence Day show features fireworks in the round, it's an ideal spot. No buildings or anything can get in the way of seeing all the fireworks and the view is amazing. It'll be ridiculously crowded there, though, so be prepared.

I'd normally agree that the hub is not the place to be (right at the top of Main Street is usually best), but I think it's better on the days when they have the special all-around pyro going.

Also, get to the MK gates as early as possible. Last year it didn't happen, but many years in the past, they've had to stop admitting people to the park because it reaches capacity by afternoon.

Oh, and the fireworks on the 4th are Fantasy in the Sky (don't know why; it would be so easy to turn Wishes into a patriotic show), so make sure to go back to MK for Wishes some time while you're at WDW.

Consider other parks as well for the 4th. I saw the Studios fireworks two years ago and they were great, too (and they only do them on July 4th and New Year's Eve). They've introduced a new show since then (which I haven't seen), but it should be even better than the old Sorcery in the Sky that I saw. Try the Animation Courtyard for viewing if you can't get on Hollywood Boulevard, but be forewarned: you may find yourself in tears, not from the moving fireworks, but from the ash in your eyes. Epcot, on the other hand, has a phenomenal 4th IllumiNations show from what I've heard.

Don't miss Fantasmic while you're there either. Go on a night when there are two showings and see the second one (30 minutes after park closing, likely 10:30). Show up a few minutes before the park closes and you have a pretty good shot at the Mickey section, i.e., the center and the best view.

I think those are all the tips I can think of right now. Have a great time on your honeymoon! Don't forget to make plenty of alone time amongst all the park stuff!
    Last edited by WDWFan75; 03-09-2005 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Typo fixing and adding a comment

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFan75
    Oh, and the fireworks on the 4th are Fantasy in the Sky (don't know why; it would be so easy to turn Wishes into a patriotic show), so make sure to go back to MK for Wishes some time while you're at WDW.
    I could be wrong, but I believe they have changed it to Wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFan75
    They've introduced a new show since then (which I haven't seen), but it should be even better than the old Sorcery in the Sky that I saw.
    I saw the new 'show' and trust me, it is nothing compared to Sorcery in the Sky. The old one was great...the music, the amazing coreography, the fantastic ending. It was 10 times better than Fantasmic (also a great show). I was anticipating Sorcery (It even said 'Sorcery in the Sky' in the Times Guide), but when they started playing the new show, I was so disappointed. The new show is not Disney at all, it is pop music and it is just randomly shot off fireworks. No finale, no coreography. My advice is to stay with MK and Epcot.

• Frequent WDW Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    I could be wrong, but I believe they have changed it to Wishes.
    As of July 4, 2004, they hadn't. I was there and it was definitely Fantasy. Have you heard that they've gotten something together since then? That would be fantastic! I had been thinking all that day about the various ways that the "wishes" of the founding fathers could have so easily been turned into a Wishes show with patriotic music, wondering why they didn't just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    I saw the new 'show' and trust me, it is nothing compared to Sorcery in the Sky. The old one was great...the music, the amazing coreography, the fantastic ending. It was 10 times better than Fantasmic (also a great show). I was anticipating Sorcery (It even said 'Sorcery in the Sky' in the Times Guide), but when they started playing the new show, I was so disappointed. The new show is not Disney at all, it is pop music and it is just randomly shot off fireworks. No finale, no coreography. My advice is to stay with MK and Epcot.
    That's a shame about the new fireworks. But you're treading on dangerous ground when you say Sorcery was better than Fantasmic .
    Last edited by WDWFan75; 03-09-2005 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Typo

• Disney Memory Maker

Have you heard that they've gotten something together since then?
    I think I heard somewhere they were making a Wishes 4th of July show. I know they made a Holiday Wishes, but I can't remember where I found the 4th show (possibly MousePlanet).

But you're treading on dangerous ground when you say Sorcery was better than Fantasmic .
    Don't get me wrong, Fantasmic is probably the best show Disney ever made (tied with Hunchback). In fact, i think it contains the 2nd most picture perfect moment in Disney, when Sorcerer Mickey is on the top of the mountain with the fireworks and lasers (second only to the lift in Maelstrom). However, there was something about Sorcery that gave me the chills (to an extent, I think Wishes builds on it). The coreography was amazing and the music was superb. IMO Wishes, Reflections of Earth and Sorcery are part of a Firework trinity (the best of the best).

-Michael

• Disney Prince

"Remember..Dreams Come True" might top Wishes and Sorcery though...but i find it hard to think that it would be able to top "Reflections of Earth" it's just a timeless masterpiece

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast