Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Disney’s Art of Animation Resort Unveiled (merged threads)

Big news…we’ve just announced plans for a new resort at Walt Disney World Resort that’ll bring to life some of our most beloved characters and stories. Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will be one-of-a-kind, featuring family suites designed around four themes: The Lion King, Cars, Finding Nemo and The Little Mermaid.

It’s a resort designed with families in mind. There will be amazing sights at the different themed wings of the resort, including a model of King Triton that’ll eventually be 35 feet tall and tower over guests. And Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will also have themed room interiors in its nearly 2,000 new units — 1,120 family suites in The Lion King, Cars and Finding Nemo wings and 864 themed rooms in The Little Mermaid wings. Suites will have both a living room and a bedroom, offering added space.
    All of the themed suites and rooms at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort (to be located adjacent to Disney’s Pop Century Resort) are expected to open by the end of 2012.
    Disney’s Art of Animation Resort Unveiled Disney Parks Blog
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC

Re: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort Unveiled

From the Orlando Sentinel:

Walt Disney World is about to begin building its first new hotel in seven years, a 2,000-room resort that will open in 2012.

Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will feature 1,120 suites with room for as many as six people each and another 864 traditional hotel rooms, with a design theme based on four of the company’s most popular animated movies.

The complex will be priced as a “value” hotel, at the low end of Disney World’s scale, similar to Disney’s Pop Century and All-Star resorts, where standard rates begin at $82 a night.

The announcement is one of the strongest signals yet from Disney that it thinks a sustained recovery is under way from the long travel slump brought on by the global recession. Disney executives, who have been weighing construction of a family-suites hotel for several years, finally approved the project in January

But in deciding to add another lower-priced hotel, Disney also appears to be betting that travelers will continue the frugal spending habits many adopted during the downturn. Disney has been relying on discounts to sustain attendance during the past year, and executives acknowledged Tuesday that consumers are still searching for deals even as Disney attempts to return to pre-recession prices.

“Quite honestly, we’re in a bit of waiting for each other to blink,” Walt Disney Co. Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo told analysts during a conference call to discuss the company’s second-quarter earnings.
    The Art of Animation Resort will be built on a 65-acre plot across a lake from Disney’s Pop Century Resort. The location will allow Disney to use a pair of long-neglected, unfinished buildings that Disney originally constructed as a second phase of Pop Century but which it abandoned amid the 2001 recession. Pop Century’s first phase was completed in 2003.

Plans for the new resort show 10 wings of rooms and a separate building housing the check-in lobby and restaurants. The hotel wings will be separated into four distinct groups, each with a theme from a different animated movie: The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Finding Nemo and Cars.

Each section will have separate courtyards anchored by icons from the movies — such as a 35-foot-tall King Triton presiding over the Mermaid section — and the entire resort will use bright-color palettes evocative of the lush scenery of animated movies. Hotel designers say they have been soliciting input from artists at Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios on everything from building elevations to which scenes to depict at the swimming pools.

Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-12-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: edited for copyright
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

• Pilot EdForceOne

well at least the pop century will no longer stand there with those empty shells looming over them. This is good news.

I'm also eager to see how these new Family Suites will turn out. As a family of 5, we can't stay in the values in a single room so more Family Suite options will open up more potential places for us.

I hope the 'themed' rooms turn out better then just the skin-deep treatment at the CBR... but being Values I doubt it will be much more then wallpaper and bedspreads.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• World Traveler

It's about time Disney did something with this property.

• Happy Haunt

I'm excited for a new hotel but as much as I love Cars I don't see that being a classic 10 or 15 years down the road.

It's about effing time.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Awesome, what great news. It's about time something was done with those eyesores across from Pop Century. I remember reading in Jim Hill's column a long time ago about how successful the ASMU(?) family suites were and how management was looking at putting in a whole resort full of them. I honestly thought that that plan was scrapped though -- it was a long time ago.

EDIT: 10 years of abandoned buildings is very bad show. Although, do you think that POP and this new resort will share bus service? POP has consistently had the best because it doesn't share with any other resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    10 years of abandoned buildings is very bad show. Although, do you think that POP and this new resort will share bus service? POP has consistently had the best because it doesn't share with any other resort.
    Really good question...
    Jaxum- Disneyland Aficionado!
    Disneyland, WDW, and DLPR Annual Passholder
    D23 1st Day Charter Member
    My Disneyland and WDW videos and photos!
    http://youtube.com/tkfore21 .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxum_readis/sets/

Disney days for 2009:
    Disneyland:(27) / Tokyo Parks:(4) / WDW:(19)
    Total Days in the parks for 2009: 50!
    Disney days for 2010:
    Disneyland: (27) / WDW:(31) / DLRP: (6)
    Total Days so far in the parks for 2010: 63!
    D23 and Other events:
    Expo '09, Candlelight Spectacular '09, Magic and Merriment '09, D23 Anniversary DL/WDW, Studio Tour April '10, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Destination D: Disneyland 55, Disneyland Scavenger Hunt, Sip and Stroll '10, Tangled Screening, TRON Pop-up Shop, Magic & Merriment '10, Everest Challenge '09, Adventurer's Club Weekend '09, DL Candlelight '09, Gumball Rally '10, WDW Radio 24 Hour Live Show '10, Disneyland's 55th Anniversary, Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet '10, Mickey's Halloween 5k '10,WDW Radio Walkabout '10, ConGaloosh '10, DL Candlelight '10

• Pilot EdForceOne

Well the other resorts that share bus service are litterally right down the road from each other.. they are all in a line. These two are adjacent, but not quite as linear.. but close. Since the entrance to current pop is on the same side as the legendary years... it could make sense to hit the new side first, then go south around around the access road over to the pop side.

It doesn't sound like they are branding them as the same property sites.. so maybe they'll keep them seperate. But they are both values... so I'd bet they do share buses. Disney hasn't seemed to shy away from that for the All Stars, so not sure why they wouldn't do it again here.

Either way, these two resorts together should still be much smaller then the all stars I would think.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Why couldn't they have just finally finished building the Legendary Years at Pop Century? That would have made more sense to me.

*boggle*

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Why couldn't they have just finally finished building the Legendary Years at Pop Century? That would have made more sense to me.

*boggle*
    That is what they are doing... but they decided to go with a character theme instead of the Pop Culture theme.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Established 2005

I am in love with this thread. I was just talking about this the other day.

While I may be in the minority of actually thinking the latter half of the 20th century would have worked for the second half of the resort, I am thrilled that they will finally finish this eyesore.

• To infinity and beyond!

I am VERY excited to see how this hotel turns out. We will definitely be staying here when it opens, especially since it is a value hotel. I am really excited to stay in a Finding Nemo or Cars room. Pixar is my obsession. I guess we'll just have to see how things turn out!
    TOY STORY 3 - JUNE 18TH!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post

*boggle*
    Completely agree! It would've made a lot more sense since you have Hourglass Lake and Generation Gap Bridge connecting the two.

• i heart plunging v-necks

Anyone care to set up a petition for the completion Pop Century Legendary Years over this extension of All Star Movies?

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast