• Happy Haunt

Dining Plan Question

I'm doing the dining plan for the first time. With the free resort refillable mug does that come as like a credit on your card or do they send you a packet with a coupon?

Re: Dining Plan Question

Quote Originally Posted by GraceysGirl View Post
    I'm doing the dining plan for the first time. With the free resort refillable mug does that come as like a credit on your card or do they send you a packet with a coupon?
    The mug comes with the qsdp and deluxe dining but not the regular plan. I've only done ddp, but since everything else (Planet Hollywood, SeaRacers, etc) is a coupon, I would guess that is too.

• Metro-Retro Historian

If memory serves me correctly, (always a bit of a crapshoot) the refillable mugs were available at our resort's quick dining location. When we asked the lady working the register what to do, she told us to take one and fill it up. Either the info was on our dining card, or Disney believes in the honor system.

Disney food service employees also seem to be very used to guests not knowing how the specifics of their plans work and are very patient and helpful in that regard. Don't be afraid to ask.

One last piece of advice, don't forget to tip. I don't know if the dining plan has changed since 2009 when I had it, but gratuity was only included for room service. Check your receipts at your sit down meals and make sure your server is taken care of. They work very hard, and sometimes in ridiculous outfits.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Disneyholic

It's listed in your packet you receive from the Walt Disney Travel Company, last time I used the plan they basically had it tied on the room key and you where not charged for the mug when you got it from the cashier.

Remember technically you can only use the mug in your home resort, you cannot use it in the parks but I have seen people carry them with them and use them at other resorts for refills, but technically your not supposed to.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    It's listed in your packet you receive from the Walt Disney Travel Company, last time I used the plan they basically had it tied on the room key and you where not charged for the mug when you got it from the cashier.

Remember technically you can only use the mug in your home resort, you cannot use it in the parks but I have seen people carry them with them and use them at other resorts for refills, but technically your not supposed to.
    The reason I asked is because I already got that packet and went through it once and thought I saw the voucher for it. When I went through again later I couldn't find it and didn't know if I had lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post

One last piece of advice, don't forget to tip. I don't know if the dining plan has changed since 2009 when I had it, but gratuity was only included for room service. Check your receipts at your sit down meals and make sure your server is taken care of. They work very hard, and sometimes in ridiculous outfits.
    The dinner shows also include the tip, although more is graciously accepted.

• Occasional Reader

I have conflicting stories regarding the voucher. I never saw a voucher and don't remember one. My other half seems to remember seeing one. I think we "bought" our mugs at first use of the quick service dining plan, they either mark it off on the card during that first transaction, or let us believe they were doing so, on the assumption nobody will try to claim multiple mugs.
    Alternatively, we may have turned in vouchers at that first transaction. I suspect it was marked off the room cards.

When "unpurchased" the mugs have an obvious and substantial tag on them, that the CM cuts off for you when you "buy" them. This is such that it needs a pair of tin snips to cut it off. As it's substantial and obvious you don't need to worry about taking your mugs with you when you go into the food selection/ purchase areas, and have somebody try to charge you again as you pay for your food.
    Last edited by Thorpeedo; 05-18-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added to
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

When my family went to WDW back in Oct. 09'. The mug was taken off of your card which doubles as your room key/park tickets. I would as add that you still get a beverage with every meal. I would always get a bottle of water to have in the park and use the mug for the drink with my meal. This only worked when eating at your resort of choice.

When we went to Disney World in 05 and 07, it seemed like the dining plan was for the pricier deals and you had to pay more to get it. Now it seems like the meal plan is actually the smarter way to go and possibly a money saver.

Quote Originally Posted by Team-Money View Post
    When we went to Disney World in 05 and 07, it seemed like the dining plan was for the pricier deals and you had to pay more to get it. Now it seems like the meal plan is actually the smarter way to go and possibly a money saver.
    I think you've gotten the wrong impression. The basic Disney Dining Plan has gotten slightly more expensive, and at the same time there have been entitlements removed from it. First appetizers were excluded from table-service meals, then tips were excluded from table-service meals.

The only way the basic DDP is a good financial deal is if you were already going to be having one table-service meal per day. For a family like mine, it's a bad deal because in a week there we eat maybe two table-service meals, tops.

Then there's the Quick Service Dining Plan, which offers two quick-service meals and snacks per day as well as one refillable mug per person. I did the math, and we would spend LESS money paying out-of-pocket than using the QSDP. Again, this is related to how we eat. The QSDP includes a dessert with each meal. Well, we don't eat a dessert with each meal. If you add up the amount we'd spend on a quick-service combo (includes side and a drink) for two meals a day and add in a few random desserts, we'd be spending less for that than we would for the QSDP.

Like I said, it all depends on how your family eats while at WDW.

The refillable mugs are not of any use in the parks. With the sole exception of Coronado Springs Resort, it is no longer accurate that you can only use your refillable mug at your own resort but not other resorts; the wording printed on each mug and the wording of the signs at each beverage station was changed a little while ago to reflect this change in WDW policy. However, I can't imagine it's very convenient to carry that big mug around with you if, during your day, you happen to visit another resort's quick-service dining location. It IS still accurate, however, that the mugs are supposed to be used ONLY during the current resort stay and are not to be brought back during subsequent trips, per stated Disney policy.

• Disneyholic

CleveRocks makes a very good point; the various Disney Dining plans are only a deal if you plan to actually use them! I know kinda obvious right? Guess again! Many people do not get everything they are entitled to in the plan and many leave with meals and snacks left on their cards... (Idea next time give your key to a poor starving CM, some of them are looking mighty skinny...)

If you do not use all the entitlements, or do not get desert with your meals or do not plan and have dining reservations then decide to use the Table Services meals as Counter Service then yes you will loose some money on the deal or at least some potential savings.

Just got back from a short trip a week ago on the DDP, 3 adults. We typically spent on average $15 per person on counter service lunches, Dinners where more varied in price but it's fair st say we spent around 30-35$ per person on average (Possibly more but being conservative here). The snacks we went for the best values we could get in the 3.00-5.00 range. (we saved them up and picked things like the butter finger cupcakes at starring rolls cafe, etc.) We averaged about $50-55 per person on the DDP using all the entitlements over the trip so we each saved around 10$ a day in direct savings without trying too hard to "work the plan" had we done so yeah we could have saved more.

Where we really saved was on breakfasts where we had saved the desserts and snacks we didn't want and taken them back to the room and put them in the fridge overnight. With the free in room coffee and all we saved an additional 15-20$ a day there... With the QuickService plan especially at the values, many of the breakfast danishes are covered as snacks as well, get them fresh and enjoy your free beverages in the refillable mugs. Add that to the $10 per person above and you begin to see the hidden potential to the DDP.

My point is if you plan out your dining, get your reservations, pick counter service restaurants that offer deserts that will keep well in your backpack or purse until you can get them back to the room, the plans can and do save you money, possibly even more than the 30% they advertise if you use the snacks/deserts to replace a meal. It's just a matter of being creative and working the plan. Remember, as I tell clients all the time, the single biggest mistake you can make is to not to use all the entitlements on the plan, it's like throwing money away.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...