Why don't they have more Bike + Rollerblade Triails?

Hi folks,

This is my very first post ever on this site. I just have a quick question for all of you Disney experts out there? Why does Disney not have more biking and Rollerblade trails around the resorts? You know like they have at the Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness, I personally think Disney should have all the Resorts + parks connected with some nice biking paths. You would not believe how fast I could get from the Wilderness Lodge to the front entrance of Fort Wilderness on a bike, we are talking less then 7 minutes, if they had a path that would keep on going that would take you through Riverside and then Port Orleans and then OKW and DTD, I could get to DTD in less then 20 minutes. Usually when you take a boring bus it takes so much longer and I will tell you a bike ride is so much more enjoyable. Just imagine how much easier and environmentally friendly it would be to get around, I would certainly love this idea to come to reality, how bout you folks?

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Why don't they have more Bike + Rollerblade Triails?

Well going from Wilderness to Port Orleans would require crossing a major road...and there are golf courses and a river in the way of Port Orleans and DtD.
    My biggest guess as to why the resort's biking trails are all within? Liability.
    Imagine if a kid (hell adults too) rented a bike un-supervised and took off down a Disney trail. They get half way from WL to PO and fall...if no one else comes by they can be stuck for a while. Or imagine a kid getting in the middle being alone, and getting scared. Disney has to then send someone out to get him. Think about it, all the bike paths walkways and water ways are places that are constantly in use, or have a regular passing of something (like the boats on the Swan to MGM walkway...) there is no "alone" place where one'd be alone for a while.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I'm with you on this one. In '99 I stayed at Ft. Wilderness and rented a bike one morning and quickly ran out of places to ride. (And the bike wasn't that great, either.)

There's some great potential for trails, but if built, Disney would probably have to hire CMs to patrol the trail. They might also want to build restrooms and call boxes along the trail.

Other than renting low-end bikes and "surreys" to tourists who think 5 miles is a long ride, cycling is just not on Disney's radar.

• Monorail Racer

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more small trails, but it's not likely you'd see one going from Wilderness Lodge all the way to Downtown Disney. A few enthusiasts might want to do that, but most people wouldn't want to bike all the way down there. Especially in the hotter months. Maybe if there was a toll along the way to increase profitability in addition to the offered amenity.

You know I have biked from The Wilderness Lodge to Port Orleans, it was actually really easy since Fort Wilderness and Port Orleans are so close. I just biked on the grass on the side of the road and it was no big deal. All Disney needs is a stop light for traffic to cross the road. The amount of time I was biking on the side of the road from Ft Wilderness to Port Orleans Riverside was only like a couple of minutes. Even for people who are not active it is preaty easy to bike 5 miles, like come on how out shape can you be if you cannot bike 5 miles.

• Rock Star Minion

Most people go to WDW for reasons other than exercise.

It would be nice, but that means more exposure to hazards (falls, collisions, etc.) that DIS would have to compensate for.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

What if you sign a liabilty waiver like when you go sking and stuff, that would settle the lawsuit issues incase of an accident.

• Banned User

derail.......
    Are you bobby Browns son?

• Banned User

There WERE plans for a trail to go all the way around the Seven Seas Lagoon. It was canned when the construction budget ran too high to build bridges. That's why you have a walkway to nowhere in front of the Magic Kingdom Monorail Station.

It's just not going to have a large (if any) return on the investment if they build the trails. Most people don't go to WDW for that anyway. Sorry.

• is satisfactual.

Most people go to WDW for reasons other than exercise.

It would be nice, but that means more exposure to hazards (falls, collisions, etc.) that DIS would have to compensate for.
    What a sad embodiment of modern society. First of all the fact that cycling between two relatively adjacent points is considered "excercise" rather than transportation and second of all the fact that it seems impossible to open up a biking trail without putting First Aid locations at every ten feet and preparing for a thousand extra lawsuits each month. But I'm getting caught up.

• Self Congratulative

Why don't they have frisbee golf???

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    There WERE plans for a trail to go all the way around the Seven Seas Lagoon. It was canned when the construction budget ran too high to build bridges. That's why you have a walkway to nowhere in front of the Magic Kingdom Monorail Station.

It's just not going to have a large (if any) return on the investment if they build the trails. Most people don't go to WDW for that anyway. Sorry.
    That is the best path.

When I was at the Caribbean Beach Resort riding manual scooters with my kids, security stopped us and said there was actually a Florida State law saying that blades and scooters are not allowed on WDW property... Don't know if that was true, but it probably is... knowing Disney's clout with the state.

Thats really funny that you got pulled over by the security, I Rollerblade all the time when I am at the Wilderness Lodge, I always go on that pathway over to Fort Wilderness and then I go all over the campground. I pass numerous security vans and all they ever do is just wave and smile. Strange

I am with you...they need to make more trails. I stayed at the WL and the bike ride I took with the family was fine. I do agree that the heat in the summer months could make such a bike ride hard to enjoy...but bike riding can be a nice diversion. Some of us don't mind the other things that one can do, besides going to the parks, that are offered at the resorts. I agree it is the lawsuit factor that keeps them from building more.