Smile No 20,000 Leagues under the Sea a mistake?

I always liked the 20K attraction at WDW. Although I live close to Disneyland, I feel the theming and setting was superior at the Florida Magic Kingdom. The subs were more interesting, CM outfits better themed than Anaheim. The underwater show effect was about the same though. Both were dated.

However, Disneyland has restored their subs with a Nemo theme.

I don't understand why the MK couldn't have updated their sub show too. The water lagoon was a nice element of that Fantasyland. If cost of operation was the reason, then why is Disneyland able to successfully have a sub attraction????

I understand the former sub lagoon is now a big landscaped area. Even if the 20K theme was to be eliminated, then I think a water based attraction should have replaced it anyway - maybe The Little Mermaid???
    Last edited by Meyers; 05-23-2010 at 02:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Re: No 20,000 Leagues under the Sea a mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Meyers View Post
    I always liked the 20K attraction at WDW. Although I live close to Disneyland, I feel the theming and setting was superior at the Florida Magic Kingdom. The subs were more interesting, CM outfits better themed than Anaheim. The underwater show effect was about the same though. Both were dated.

However, Disneyland has restored their subs with a Nemo theme.

I don't understand why the MK couldn't have updated their sub show too. The water lagoon was a nice element of that Fantasyland. If cost of operation was the reason, then why is Disneyland able to successfully have a sub attraction????

I understand the former sub lagoon is now a big landscaped area. Even if the 20K theme was to be eliminated, then I think a water based attraction should have replaced it anyway - maybe The Little Mermaid???
    The old 20k plot will be where the majority of the FLE will take place. That includes TLM attraction.

The attraction originally closed because of costs. However, a concept is out there that would bring 20k back to WDW in a different format and at a different park. Right now, it is not on the table, but at one point, it was to be part of the WWoHP killer. When the economy tanked, it effectively killed the expansion for the time being. That said, it might still happen one day.

the big problem wth 20k was the loongg wait times. just like the subs at DL. The lines would wind all over fantasyland and you could barely get through the area. Frankly i am glad it's gone, and while I would have liked more out of the new fantasyland than one original ride and four meet and greets, it's better than the subs.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Krankenstein View Post
    The old 20k plot will be where the majority of the FLE will take place. That includes TLM attraction.

The attraction originally closed because of costs. However, a concept is out there that would bring 20k back to WDW in a different format and at a different park. Right now, it is not on the table, but at one point, it was to be part of the WWoHP killer. When the economy tanked, it effectively killed the expansion for the time being. That said, it might still happen one day.
    For those of you playing at home... FLE = Fantasyland Expansion

And this different format of 20K you mentioned... are we talking something similar to TDS' version?

• Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Sometimes I need one of these. I knew what was up with this one but sometimes i have to sit and think.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post

And this different format of 20K you mentioned... are we talking something similar to TDS' version?
    It would've been similar, but slightly modified. Same tech though.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

It would've been similar, but slightly modified. Same tech though.
    Really, I wonder why it didn't come to WDW? Also, what is WWoHP?

Timekeeper

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    Really, I wonder why it didn't come to WDW? Also, what is WWoHP?

Timekeeper
    The way the rumor mill has it, it's still a possibility. *shrug*

.... Wizarding World of Harry Potter

• Future Imagineer

Right now, it is not on the table, but at one point, it was to be part of the WWoHP killer. When the economy tanked, it effectively killed the expansion for the time being. That said, it might still happen one day.
    Oh, well I guess "possibility" and "on the table" are two different things. lol. So the rumor mill is not wrong, just reading too much into "possibility."

Wasn't it supposed to be a part of the "expansion" to AK that would sort of replace BK? Like a Mysterious Island type-of-deal?

Quote Originally Posted by inluvwithbeast View Post
    Oh, well I guess "possibility" and "on the table" are two different things. lol. So the rumor mill is not wrong, just reading too much into "possibility."

Wasn't it supposed to be a part of the "expansion" to AK that would sort of replace BK? Like a Mysterious Island type-of-deal?
    Yep, and it isn't happening anytime soon, unless my info is wrong (could be, but I trust it). Do not look for any expansion at DAK in the near future.

WWoHP = Wizarding World of Harry Potter (sorry, I am acronym happy sometime)

• Future Imagineer

Yep, and it isn't happening anytime soon, unless my info is wrong (could be, but I trust it). Do not look for any expansion at DAK in the near future.

(

I feel it could add so much capacity! I'm tired of being shoulder-to-shoulder with people.. of course that is another topic for another thread.

Thank you for the info.