Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Why do people pull to the side of the road before the Parking Lot Ticket Booths?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Standard fare at Hersheypark, King's Dominion, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and Six Flags (Largo, MD) is free parking."
    Actually, none of the parks you listed has free parking - they are all between $10 and $15 per day to park - like Disney.

• Minion

Re: Why do people pull to the side of the road before the Parking Lot Ticket Booths?

Quote Originally Posted by celticdar View Post
    Actually, none of the parks you listed has free parking - they are all between $10 and $15 per day to park - like Disney.
    Must be a relatively recent change. Back in the 80s and 90s, there wasn't a charge for parking. No booths to go through or anything. Just pull in, park your vehicle, and then make your way to the Park. Haven't been to any of them in this century, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Standard fare at Hersheypark, King's Dominion, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and Six Flags (Largo, MD) is free parking.

Went to and paid similar rate to park as Disney at all of you mentioned parks
    Kings Dominion April 2004 paid for parking
    Hershey Park Sept 2008 paid for parking (going again on Monday)
    Bush Gardens Williamsburg Sept 2009 paid for parking also
    Six Flags New England few years back, parking was 15 when Disney's rate was 10

But more on topic I am sure there is not just one reason that people are constantly pulled over in the grass. though for some strange reason it does occur more in all over Central Florida, and not just at WDW, than any other place I've ever driven. And more often then not you can't blame the tourist cause the cars usually have Florida licence plates on and it isn't a newer car as is the case of a fleet of rentals. On occasion I have seen people pulled over so their child can go potty...one time it wasn't a child going either....

Speaking as a guilty offender of this, one time I did pull over just before the MK toll booth. Reason was to wait for my sister in-law & husband(who live in the area) and were spending the day with us to catch up then one of them jumped in our car they both were AP holders with included parking.... I know I am shameless! But there could be many possible reasons why it is done.

• Minion

So when did the other parks start charging for parking?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Yeah, I see this all the time too and have always wondered why.

I don't really buy the looking for money reason (har har), because why wouldn't people dig for money in the line to get in or at the booth? Why would people be courteous enough these days to pull over? you pay to park everywhere it seems... why would anyone be surprised you'd have to pay to park at WDW?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I guess my suggestion was incorrect. I saw Grandma and Grandpa, after driving from WhoKnowsWhere arriving and going, "oh wait, we pay here? For the tickets? For the parking? Mildred?"

I will say that I've noticed freak outs in my own vehicle when we hit the tolls on the roads of Florida. I usually have coins with me from traveling through Jersey and the bridges out of New York, purely habit. But not everyone has that experience.

Since we moved to the West, however, tolls aren't that frequent at all.

As for standard fair? Probably. But for those who go to these kinds of parks, it's to be expected. For those who saved up for thirteen years, to take their grandkids, it could be a bit of a shock.

I am, however, beginning to doubt my own thoughts on what it was they were doing. Perhaps if I see it, I'll whip out a camera and take a picture.

'Tis a mystery! One day, we shall find the solution.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I do not get the loking for money, unless people do not know that the booths take plastic.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, I have those toll freakouts whenever I"m driving in FLA too. No tolls out here on the Island, so I tend to forget. Though I know last time I had the ipass or whatever to sail through. Anyway.

I guess a granny might not realize it but if you've never been, wouldn't that have come up in your research? Maybe not lol!!!

BTW... are you not allowed to pull through the gates then turaround andleave w/o paying? Several years ago, I did this, just dropping off a friend... though I somehow remember a parking garge being involved
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post

Or Minneasota.
    Ten bucks to park at Valleyfair.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

•   
    • Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Yeah, I see this all the time too and have always wondered why.

I don't really buy the looking for money reason (har har), because why wouldn't people dig for money in the line to get in or at the booth? Why would people be courteous enough these days to pull over? you pay to park everywhere it seems... why would anyone be surprised you'd have to pay to park at WDW?
    I agree. Unless someone is concerned they don't have any currency on them, a highly unlikely occurance, they'd just fumble around for it once they get to the ticket booth.

I suspect it's not looking for money, and I doubt very many people would want to take pictures of the parking booths.

Interesting...
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by Tui View Post
    Ten bucks to park at Valleyfair.
    THOSE SCHMUCKS! Money ruins everything!!!!!

Of course, Mall of America...tell me it ain't so, Tui, tell me it ain't so!

Wait, since when do you live in the Land o' the Lakes?

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• враг народа

Blog Entries

People could be lost looking for "Disney World". Many people do not realize that there is not one specific "Disney World [Park]" but that the entire complex is Walt Disney World.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    THOSE SCHMUCKS! Money ruins everything!!!!!

Of course, Mall of America...tell me it ain't so, Tui, tell me it ain't so!

Wait, since when do you live in the Land o' the Lakes?

Peace,
    Roo
    The Mall of America is still free to park. But, the theme park really isn't the main draw there.

And to answer your second question, aside from some moving around as a kid and a year abroad, I've always lived in Minnesota.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post

Speaking as a guilty offender of this, one time I did pull over just before the MK toll booth. Reason was to wait for my sister in-law & husband(who live in the area) and were spending the day with us to catch up then one of them jumped in our car they both were AP holders with included parking.... I know I am shameless! But there could be many possible reasons why it is done.
    I have seen it a few times but not in great numbers - I actually don't have a problem with it unless they are using the curb as a urinal or letting their children get out and wander in traffic. I don't think there is anything wrong with pulling over to wait for someone. It beats the whole "are you parked in Goofy or Chip and Dale?" thing later - particularly if the person you're waiting for is a first-timer.

As for the reason, having spent most of my adult life working with the public, nothing surprises me anymore. I have seen people do some truly bizarre things. Some of them may have very good reasons - but some of them are just crazy - it's that simple. Some people can't think or react fast - they panic when they get to the end of a drive like that because there is a gate and possibly a decision to be made. Also remember, tourists can be like Black Friday shoppers - they only venture out of the warmth and comfort of their little holes a couple of times a year and the outside world is a foreign place to them. That's why I tend to think that the accidents that happen on the property are caused more by tourist error than Disney employee. Some people, and you've all seen them, wander around the property like deer caught in the headlights of a car. We "uber-visitors" are used to the place but the size of the property can really mess with some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    .......one time I did pull over just before the MK toll booth. Reason was to wait for my sister in-law & husband(who live in the area) and were spending the day with us to catch up then one of them jumped in our car they both were AP holders with included parking..........
    I think this is probably the answer I was looking for! This is probably the reason people pull to the side of the road, to wait for a friend or relative with a annual pass to jump into the car!!! Thanks so much, I think now I know!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12