Disney Magical Express

Hello everyone!

I am planning my first trip to WDW since I was a kid and plan on utilizing the Disney Magical Express to get from/to Orlando Int Airport. I see they have a baggage claim feature where you do not have to claim your own baggage or check it yourself when you leave for home.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone had any issue with this feature or how reliable it is (I don't want to have to wait hours for my luggage)? Also, I know they send special luggage tags for this service but when do they send the tags (like a week prior to trip, month, etc...)?

Thanks for any help/accounts that you have had with this service. I am looking forward to the trip and want things to go as smoothly as possible.

• Seasick

Re: Disney Magical Express

When I stayed at Pop Century in 2006, my bags were delayed. Got in early evening, and didn't have my luggage until midnight. I had to go pick them up at the front desk myself as well, unless I wanted to wait even longer.

In 2008, staying at the Coronada Springs, the bags came within a few hours.

There can be delays, and I for one can't say what the odds are, but be prepared. Make sure your carry-on bag has the things you need for the first 3-6 hours you'll be there, and you should be fine.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Mine and my family experience varies as well. I always had mine within 1/2 to 1 hour. But my sister took a late flight (landed at 9PM) once and her bags were late getting to her room. She even called and asked that they not deliver them since it was already late and they were going to bed, but they still came by at 2AM to drop off the bags.

I think the tags usually come about 2 weeks before your trip? But exactly I am not sure.

If you are using Magical express, as the poster stated above, just pack a small carry on with some stuff you may need.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Thanks for the replies!

I can deal with the bags comming a bit later. I'm a bit of a control freak and the idea of not picking up my own bags is a little scary... but I can see the benefit. We will be flying in fairly early so I'm sure we will hit up a park/grab some lunch and hope for our bags are there for when we need to change for dinner.

Thanks again, I know of a number of people that have planned Disney trips but none that have used Magical Express service. The fact that your luggage made it to you makes me feel a bit better.

Just got home from my trip. We used the express and had no trouble. We checked in to french quarter at around 1 pm and hit AK for the afternoon. Had supper at Sanaa and returned to the room at 9 pm and our bags where there.

One family that was on the bus with us got there own bags and stowed them on the bus with them. So it's all up to you . If you don't mind hanging around a bit to grab your bags and then haul them around with you you can, but if your going to just check in and start running to parks it might be easier to let them handle it.

Either way, I hope you have a great time !

• Future Imagineer

My family all brought little carry-ons with us that we could store anything we might need the day we arrived. After we checked in and dropped off our carry-ons, we hit MK for a couple of hours. We got back and our luggage was there. No problem at all.

• Happy Haunt

I'm having ME take my bags for the first time and this might seem like an odd question but where on the bags do you guys usually put the yellow tags?

• Future Imagineer

The handles. Or wherever you put your airline tags.

• Done with MC.

If your getting to Orlando in the AM then I would say go for it but if your not getting there until after noon, take care of your bags yourself. We got there at 3:30 and didn't get our last bag until 1:00AM! There were lots of people in line at the front desk of our hotel looking for luggage as well ~ seemed like a common problem that Disney wasn't concerned about.

• DVC owner and loving it !

Smile Re: Disney Magical Express

7 times WDW-7 times ME. 6 times arrival at Orlando Int'l at 830 am. We have had varying results. Trip 1 at the Polynesian we returned from the parks at 4pm and finally gave up and went to dinner and when we got to our room at midnight it was there. Trips 2,3,and 4 after joining Disney Vacation Club we stayed at Saratoga Springs and our luggage was in our room when we came back from the parks at 4pm. Trip 5 we stayed at Boardwalk villas and it was there at 4pm. Trip 6 at Saratoga and we called when we got back from the parks at 4pm and it was there in 20-30 minutes. Trip 7 we arrived at Orlando at 230pm and went to Bay Lake Tower and it still feels like we are waiting (LOL) but we were prepared.
    The lesson we learned is that you never know. Since the first trip we have designated one carry-on for the necessities and clothes needed for dinner the first night.
    ME has never lost any of our luggage (knocking on wood here) thank goodness.
    The ride takes about 35-50 minutes to get to WDW depending on traffic and it is about 1hour 30 minutes from the time the plane pulls up to the terminal. You then have to go to the Magical Express counter, check in and get in a line designated for your hotel. Directions to the check in counter will be on you ME booklet.
    As far as the tags, put the luggage tags on the handles of your luggage. We have not had any problems with that.
    We love ME it saves us about $250 in rental car expenses and we don't drive until we get back to our car in NJ, that is a vacation in itself.
    Have a great trip!!!!

Disney's Magical Express serves about 5 MILLION guests per year, and overall has proved to be very very reliable.

In the booklet they send you, Disney instructs you how to affix the special luggage tag (it's a long, thin strip of sticky yellow paper, with all sorts of personalized info pre-printed on it) to each bag you will check with your airline.

The booklet also tells you that you should expect your bags within about 3 hours of when you check-in at your resort, and that if you need anything immediately you should pack for that in your carry-on.

The booklet further explains that you do not need to wait in your room for your luggage. Your luggage will be brought into the inside of your resort room whether you are in there or not.

Disney has a very high-tech system for delivering and tracking the luggage. Each DME tag has a barcode. The barcode is scanned 5 separate times between airplane and resort room. The dedicated DME delivery trucks are tracked by GPS. In other words, Disney knows where your bags are at all times.

Of course, no system is perfect, but DME has earned guests' trust for more than 5 years.

Thank you everyone for the responses. I just didn't know of anyone who had utilized this particular Disney service. I'm glad that it seems to work out (for the most part).

Have a great trip to those visiting soon!