Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Re: Is DHS a full-day park now?

DHS for my family has always been at the very least a 3/4 day park the only reason it was not a full day park for us has been the fact that we didn't like the fireworks display at MGM we'd rather go and watch the fireworks at EPCOT again...

For some odd reason since the day it opened up MGM has been one of my favorite parks, my two favs being MK and MGM, and recently EPCOT has really started to grow on me..but my family really enjoys the Studios, even if it is still primarily a sit down and watch shows park..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    It started off as a half-day thing. That's the point. The question is if it's STILL a half-day park and obviously from all the responses, the answer is no.
    Our first visit there was not too long after it open, and I believe we spent most if not the whole day there. I've been to WDW with friends who rush through everything, don't want to see every show, or only want to hit the "big" rides... That's not the kind of WDW trips I like. I enjoy going with family and friends who want to see everything.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Now that the studio tour isn't worth going on ... it's not as much of a full day park to me as it used to be.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Now that the studio tour isn't worth going on ... it's not as much of a full day park to me as it used to be.
    Not liking an attraction is not an excuse to say this park is not a full-day. It is. However, as you so eloquently stated, it's the guests who make it a full day experience or not, based on lineup predilection. Disney is at fault too for offering "park hopping" as the option takes away guests from one park and allows them to overcrowd another.

But regardless... I do consider DHS (and DAK) full day parks... They are however, overpriced, and that should be the real question here: Is DHS overpriced?

• The Study of Wumbo

I think DHS will be a more developed park when:

The Backlot Tour is removed/redeveloped
    One more large-scale attraction is added
    The Hat is removed
    Great Movie Ride is updated
    Fantasmic! is killed or revamped
    New nighttime entertainment is added
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Just for fun, let's look at the Ride vs Show count at Disney's Hollywood Studios, which opened in 1989.

According to their latest guide map, DHS has a total of 19 attractions. For comparison's sake, Disney California Adventure (the black sheep of the Disneyland resort that opened in 2001) has 35 attractions.

RIDES
    1. The Great Movie Ride
    2. Star Tours
    3. Backlot Tour
    4. Toy Story Midway Mania
    5. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
    6. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

SHOWS and MOVIES
    1. The American Idol Experience
    2. Sounds Dangerous - Starring Drew Carey
    3. Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
    4. Muppet*Vision 3D
    5. Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
    6. Journey Into Narnia: Prince Caspian
    7. Walt Disney: One Man's Dream (15 minute film)
    8. Voyage of The Little Mermaid
    9. Playhouse Disney - Live on Stage!
    10. Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage
    11. Fantasmic!

OTHER
    1. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure
    2. Walt Disney: One Man's Dream (I'm including it here again because it's part walking tour)
    3. The Magic of Disney Animation

Looking at that, the shows nearly DOUBLE the amount of rides. So yah, I guess if you try to do everything, it is a full day. But thanks to random show times, trying to do it all becomes more difficult and time consuming than if they were all rides.

This park still has a ways to go.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Not liking an attraction is not an excuse to say this park is not a full-day. It is. However, as you so eloquently stated, it's the guests who make it a full day experience or not, based on lineup predilection. Disney is at fault too for offering "park hopping" as the option takes away guests from one park and allows them to overcrowd another.

But regardless... I do consider DHS (and DAK) full day parks... They are however, overpriced, and that should be the real question here: Is DHS overpriced?
    You are right, even though riding that ride twice and waiting in line 3-0 to 45 minutes yeah time would eat up almost 3 hours so... yeah, it DOES drastically cut down on the time you spend there. Though I guess that Midway mania does help use up that time.

Of course, AK isn't a full day park for me, even less so than the studios. I don't think any is more overpriced than the other - but If I DIDN'T get parkhoppers, I wouldn't but a ticket to AK.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• and too all a good fright

J But thanks to random show times, trying to do it all becomes more difficult and time consuming than if they were all rides.

This park still has a ways to go.
    Agreed. I really like this park, but do find it difficult to make a plan which does not include an excessive amount of back tracking for show times.

I don't find back-tracking an issue because the park is so physically small. Nor do I see an issue with shows. I love shows! Rarely do you need to wait for them and you get a nice 20-30 minute experience instead of the usual 2-3 minute one. I also think DHS has a nice balance between continuously running shows and scheduled showtimes. For all intents and purposes, Voyage of the Little Mermaid runs like a ride in that, depending on when you arrive, you will only have to wait through (usually) one 15-minute performance.

There's no question in my mind that the Studios is already a full day park but DHS could do with two to three non-thrill rides and maybe even another show to further round out their offerings.
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleloveswalt View Post
    but DHS could do with two to three non-thrill rides and maybe even another show to further round out their offerings.

Make it two non-thrill rides and a new E-Ticket (any kind) and I'll agree. Definitely don't need any more shows unless they're replacing an old outdated one.

• Minion

Really depends on personal preference...

I like to take it slow and appreciate good theming BUT...

...some of the shows aren't that good, many of the rides are aging, and the theming goes only so far...

...so, when I visited for the first time a couple of years ago, I was done by mid-afternoon. But I stuck around for Fantasmic and the Osborne lights (it was just after X-mas).

This park, like much of WDW, represents significant untapped potential. If all the rides and theming planned in the 1990s had actually gotten built, this could have been a marvellous park with a coherent theme. But, that's not the case.
    Down with the Hat

Make it two non-thrill rides and a new E-Ticket (any kind) and I'll agree. Definitely don't need any more shows unless they're replacing an old outdated one.
    If we're talking a non-motion-sickness inducing E-ticket, then I agree. But as it stands right now, of the six rides, three are are not so popular with the crowd who doesn't like thrill.
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

You also need to consider the physical layout of DHS. ToT and RnR are right next to each other and Toy Story is clear on the other side of the park. It's nearly impossible to enjoy all three without standing in at least one monster line or backtracking frequently to use your FastPass. I'm not a line-waiter, so the park becomes a balancing act of show times and FastPass return times that often conflict with one another.

Furthermore, getting on any of the "Big 3" rides without much hassle requires being there at park opening (or riding while everyone is at Fantasmic! at night). Assuming you want to Ride Tot, R&R, and Toy Story at least once, and catch Fantasmic! at night, you're kind of stuck with being there a full day whether you like it or not. No worries though, you can always go to American Idol more than once if there are gaps in your day. That's always good for a laugh (or someone ACTUALLY talented if you're lucky).

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wizards8507 View Post
    You also need to consider the physical layout of DHS. ToT and RnR are right next to each other and Toy Story is clear on the other side of the park. It's nearly impossible to enjoy all three without standing in at least one monster line or backtracking frequently to use your FastPass. I'm not a line-waiter, so the park becomes a balancing act of show times and FastPass return times that often conflict with one another.

Furthermore, getting on any of the "Big 3" rides without much hassle requires being there at park opening (or riding while everyone is at Fantasmic! at night). Assuming you want to Ride Tot, R&R, and Toy Story at least once, and catch Fantasmic! at night, you're kind of stuck with being there a full day whether you like it or not. No worries though, you can always go to American Idol more than once if there are gaps in your day. That's always good for a laugh (or someone ACTUALLY talented if you're lucky).

You mean Star Tours is on the other side of the park? Midway Mania is kind of in between.

But you're right about the park layout. My favorite areas of the entire park are Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd. I wonder why that is? (themed + big rides)

DHS Can be a full time park. There are many streetmosphere characters and you can easily spend 15 minutes with each watching their hilarious and entertaining skits, little mermaid, fantasmic, indiana jones, lights, motor action and muppets are must see shows and those alone will knock out 4-5 hours, the great movie ride, the backlot and magic of disney animation tours will easily knock out another 2 hours, TSM will take another, star tours, TOT, and RRC will take another 2-3 hours depending on your fastpass strategy... were already looking at 8-10 hours... add lunch and you have a full day!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12