Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Re: Why the Imagineers can at any time beat WWohP, but at the same time can't

Concepts do exist and they were originally planned to open up around this time to counteract the WWoHP. However, nothing is currently happening. Things are waiting the green, but I wouldn't expect them anytime soon.

No land clearing is happening at DAK. Both of the major expansion plots are already cleared from original park construction. Remember though, the Pocahontas show closing was suppose to coincide with construction on the original BK plot. Those plans were shelved.

Oh, calling Forbidden Journey a simple coaster is absolutely laughable. Nothing about it is even remotely like a coaster. Until you have ridden it, you cannot comprehend how unique and truly amazing the attraction really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Krankenstein View Post
    However, nothing is currently happening. Things are waiting the green, but I wouldn't expect them anytime soon.
    Sorry but on whom's authority do you have this information?

Quote Originally Posted by wizards8507 View Post
    Sorry but on whom's authority do you have this information?
    Look take it with salt, but I have friends. That is all I will ever say on the matter because I like getting my info.

Look take it with salt, but I have friends. That is all I will ever say on the matter because I like getting my info.
    That's fair. It's quite a challenge to distill the information from everyone who has "friends" when they're all saying opposite things. I doubt there's dishonesty anywhere along the line, but uncertainty breeds misinformation from all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by wizards8507 View Post
    That's fair. It's quite a challenge to distill the information from everyone who has "friends" when they're all saying opposite things. I doubt there's dishonesty anywhere along the line, but uncertainty breeds misinformation from all sides.
    I really hope I'm wrong, but nothing is suppose to be coming in to at least after FLE. The only possible thing I have heard is that after ST2, they are going to look at possibly expanding Pixar Place, possibly.

And with that, I'm gone. Later MiceChat.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Concepts do exist and they were originally planned to open up around this time to counteract the WWoHP. However, nothing is currently happening. Things are waiting the green, but I wouldn't expect them anytime soon.

No land clearing is happening at DAK. Both of the major expansion plots are already cleared from original park construction. Remember though, the Pocahontas show closing was suppose to coincide with construction on the original BK plot. Those plans were shelved.

Oh, calling Forbidden Journey a simple coaster is absolutely laughable. Nothing about it is even remotely like a coaster. Until you have ridden it, you cannot comprehend how unique and truly amazing the attraction really is.
    Oh drama! Who insulted the Forbidden Journey? I don't believe I did. But seriously, why Forbidden Journey can't be labeled "simple" is beyond me. Everyone's got their own tastes when it comes to rides and if someone views it as in ride that is beneath others that they value to them, well that is fine by me.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Self Congratulative

Man, this place is so negative... or should I say, people's "friends" are. I just have to be blunt and say that you're incorrect. There is much planned for the future, many of which are chuggin' right along just fine. Also, in the shorter term, FLE is going well and there are many surprises left to be seen.

As for the placemaking issue, I will just have to agree to disagree. For years, dark rides were just painted flats, yet they projected emotion and wonderful means of storytelling. Even pirates is just simple scenic paint and foam construction for the most part. Hyper-detailed it is not, BUT it does have immersion oozing from everywhere. I have seen many an example of where expensive, realistic scenery wasn't used yet they experience of the show or attraction was better than most "theme" park attractions. So yes, I would reiterate that, while impressive, super detailed scenery isn't needed to placemake or create a meaningful emotional impact.

Really, all of this is personal preference. People like things for different reasons and things that I might feel are arbitrary and superficial might be the exact same things that make you a fan. It doesn't mean one is right or wrong. What I appreciate about Disney is it gives a wide variety of these different experiences for everyone. I'm not a Disney apologist by any means, but I still maintain that there isn't a better collection of storytelling and a wide range of experiences anywhere else. That's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Taggart; 06-26-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is not a roller coaster, just like Pirates of the Caribbean is not a baked potato. It is literally not the thing.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I really hope I'm wrong, but nothing is suppose to be coming in to at least after FLE. The only possible thing I have heard is that after ST2, they are going to look at possibly expanding Pixar Place, possibly.

And with that, I'm gone. Later MiceChat.
    Bing bing bing... and we have a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
    So yes, I would reiterate that, while impressive, super detailed scenery isn't needed to placemake or create a meaningful emotional impact.
    "God is in the details" - an axiom for theme park design among other things. I'll grant you hyper-detailing isn't a necessity for an emotional impact, but here are some less/more detailed versions of the same thing. You be the judge on which has a more "meaningful emotional impact":

The point being: building extraordinary detail is what set Disney apart for decades. Now Universal has put that super level of detailing into The Wizarding World. The result is pretty awesome.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 06-26-2010 at 10:15 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

@RandySavage GREAT comparison... WOW!

^ here's another less/more detail comparison:

Yep, these detailed creations are having a lot more impact on me.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 06-26-2010 at 09:56 PM.

• Dreamer

Walt Disney always made a point of making the guests feel like they're inside the fantasy itself, and that's what imagineers are striving for.

Other parks just want to cash in on the success and won't pay much attention to detail. I remember going to Europa Park in Germany and despite them having some of the same rides as the Disney parks, the theming was all over the place and the rides looked thrown together last minute.

Plus, Disney has CMs that will keep up the fantasy for you.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

I have yet to see the WWoHP, but I have read reviews as well as talked to a few people that have been there, and the reactions I have read/heard from my friends etc. that have been there are "WOW it's super detailed, that butter-beer tasted good, but I dunno if I'll go there for another couple of years....There's really only one ride."

Now, Universal has grabbed the wow factor which is great for them, but even with that WOW factor it still needs more than the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride, and the Rethemed Dueling Dragons coaster to keep at least my friends interest, is more things to do..My friends said they basically did everything within a quarter of a day, but they did spend half a day at IOA, and they spent the other half of the day at EPCOT finishing what they couldn't the first day, so I don't know how much it really has hurt Disney if at all...but I agree that I like to hear my friends go WOW at something Disney more than something at Uni or IOA..

but I digress I hope Disney does something other than just the FLE and ST2 or Uni may expand the WWoHP and make a bit of a dent in Disney's armour
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

I take back somethings that I said earlier. Had some interesting info come my way today. Things might be a bit brighter than they were last time I talked to people.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast