Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• The Study of Wumbo

Re: Why the Imagineers can at any time beat WWohP, but at the same time can't

Quote Originally Posted by jlmct52 View Post
    Does anyone else miss Michael Eisner as much as I do???????
    You mean, early, Disney-Decade, "let's-build-build-build" Eisner?
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

I'm optimistic about the Fantasyland Expansion. All of the current artwork and announcements point to it being as immersive and detailed as Wizarding World. Wizarding World, like Fantasyland, only added one new ride (albeit an E-ticket). That said, I don't think WDI lacks anything in talent or innovation, as always, the issue is finances.
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Like the user above me said, Magic Kingdom has the Fantasyland Expansion which really adds a TON to Fantasyland there, but I really don't know if something new like that will draw in the crowds to compare with Harry Potter. The thing about Universal is that they aren't Disney, they don't make classic animated films, and if they go out they can purchase the rights to make a Harry Potter theme park, even though the film series is Warner Brothers. Disney just doesn't have opportunities to make areas of a theme park based on such a popular franchise.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Potter was most definitely not built for 300 million. That project was WAY over budget. That's like saying Everest was built for 100 million. That project was also WAY over budget.

But even without the actual numbers, I can tell you that what is said here is true. It costs WDI a lot more to build something than Universal Creative.
    -Bill

• Senior Minion

Yes. The late Mrs. Elda Mae Finstucker, 73, of East Keokuk, Iowa does. Or did.

The Keokuck Sentinel reported that the day after Eisner stepped down as Disney's CEO, the distraught Finstucker rammed her car into a tree. Rescue workers said she insisted Eisner always reminded her of her cockapoo Brucie, who had been hit by a bus the previous year, "and now they're both gone."

An autopsy measured Finstucker's blood alcohol level at 14 times the legal limit.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Once upon a dream

Well TDA seems to be on the right road. Im not sure about TDO. I guess well have to wait until next year at D23 expo to hear whats happening.

Thank you Solitary!

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by mr wiggins View Post
    yes. The late mrs. Elda mae finstucker, 73, of east keokuk, iowa does. Or did.

The keokuck sentinel reported that the day after eisner stepped down as disney's ceo, the distraught finstucker rammed her car into a tree. Rescue workers said she insisted eisner always reminded her of her cockapoo brucie, who had been hit by a bus the previous year, "and now they're both gone."

an autopsy measured finstucker's blood alcohol level at 14 times the legal limit.
    lolwut.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

I personally miss ol' Eisner and am starting to regret his departure.
    Motor Mania!

• and too all a good fright

Quote Originally Posted by dmtnt55 View Post
    Like the user above me said, Magic Kingdom has the Fantasyland Expansion which really adds a TON to Fantasyland there, but I really don't know if something new like that will draw in the crowds to compare with Harry Potter. The thing about Universal is that they aren't Disney, they don't make classic animated films, and if they go out they can purchase the rights to make a Harry Potter theme park, even though the film series is Warner Brothers. Disney just doesn't have opportunities to make areas of a theme park based on such a popular franchise.
    Disney does have the opportunity to dedicate areas of its theme parks to such popular franchises. The disney princesses are an extremely popular franchise. It just so happens that they tend to cater to a demographic that is narrower (but no less influential) and perhaps a bit more derided than the potter audience. There is a reason why the Cinderella breakfast is one of the hardest meals to get at the park. I don't necessarily think TDO is missing the mark here. And for what the fantasyland expansion is, I trust it will be fully immersive. Disney is countering WWOHP with one of its signatures...characters and family entertainment (little mermaid ride).

While I love a huge e-ticket like Indy, it is the charm of the smaller experiences and attractions that make me return to WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by flotsam_mike View Post
    While I love a huge e-ticket like Indy, it is the charm of the smaller experiences and attractions that make me return to WDW.

This.

While I'm sure Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is stellar, and a world-class ride, the reason people will return is because of the theming and atmosphere. Disney will hopefully achieve the same thing with Fantasy Forest.
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

• Banned User

WDI certainly has the technical and creative ability to create greatness on the scale of WWOHP, but sometimes get cut off at the knees by budget cuts. Creating magic costs a ton of money, and if the corporate bosses are too stingy and short sighted to spend whatever it takes, then the results suffer. Simple as that. Universal spent whatever it took to create something special in WWOHP, and they are reaping the benefits. As always, build it, and they will come.

As I said in another thread, if Disney's slate of upcoming attractions (Fantasyland/Mermaid, Star Tours II, Cars Land) end up disappointing, then Universal has thoroughly embarassed the Mouse -- and not because of creative bankruptcy at WDI. If that does happen, I and others will lay the blame at the feet of Disney management, for financially handicapping the Imagineers. And they will have only themselves to blame if that means the competition steals their thunder. It already happened in Disney animation; it certainly could happen in the theme park business.

On a related note: how come the stateside parks NEVER got a clone from Tokyo??
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 06-21-2010 at 02:27 AM.

• Banned User

No.

• Minion

A few rambling thoughts...

Technologically Universal has been trumping Disney for more than a decade...but their parks as a whole lack in immersive theming and atmosphere...and they do not seek to create the same level of illusion - with big unthemed coasters and unthemed buildings. This is unfortunate, because as the nicer parts of the Wizarding World demonstrate, they are quite capable to beating Disney at their own game if they choose to.

I look forward to the Fantasyland expansion as it will be a significant improvement to the stagnant theming of that land. However, I could care less for meet-n-greets, and even the Little Mermaid...as a good a ride as it may be...is still a clone using decades old technology and does not excite me in the same way Forbidden Journey does. Same feeling for Star Tours...Disney comes up with a simulator that is technologically inferior to the decade-old Spiderman, while Universal forges ahead to new frontiers.

So, both companies with their pros and cons.
    Down with the Hat

• You have much to learn...

Disney Imagineeers possibly could beat out the WWOHP- Unfortunately, many of them have been let go thru the years & are actually working for the competition due to the short sightedness of the Disney management & accountants in the past.

Imagineers have the capability to create great things & have done so in the past- but when the budget goes up too high- many of their creative ideas are cut from the final project.

Disney could have actually owned Harry Potter at one time- but when JK Rowling went to Disney several years ago- they didn't think that a certain young Wizard would be that popular- and gave up rights that eventually went to Scholastic. They dropped the ball again when JK Rowling was interested in a Harry Potter theme park and lost them to Universal. But they did pay very high prices to broadcast the movies on ABC & ABC Family.

I don't think that Disney would have done better, or even come close, if they did actually win theme park rights for Harry Potter. I'm sure most of the stuff they would have done- would be cut since the costs would be too high.

When I first visited IOA years ago after opening- I had thought they did a great job of themeing in the Jurassic Park, Lost Continent & Seuss Landing areas. I wasn't as thrilled with Toon Lagoon or the Marvel Superhero areas- but did a great job with the Spidy ride. I thought back then that they were stepping up the game and giving Disney some serious competition. But somehow Universal/IOA doesn't have the heart or repeatability that Disney has.

I used to really admire Michael Eisner- at least for the fist few years of his reign- when Disney went thru it's rapid expansion-I always was looking forward to what would come next. Then, both he & the Disney company started going downhill and kept picking up speed. I think Iger has done some great things, but still more needs to be done to bring the company back to what it once was.

I did visit the WWOHP last week and the themeing was incredible- I just hope this sends a serious note to Disney to step up their game.

They're going to do something to top Harry Potter, that's what Disney is about. Doing the unexpected and new.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast