Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Blog Entries

Re: Why the Imagineers can at any time beat WWohP, but at the same time can't

I really do miss the Eisner/Wells team of management. I don't miss the (post Wells, post heart attack, post Katzenberg, overly paranoid) Eisner.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Heh, I was just going to ask, does anyone miss Frank Wells as much as I do?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Sad Re: Why the Imagineers can at any time beat WWohP, but at the same time can't

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Mist View Post
    They're going to do something to top Harry Potter, that's what Disney is about. Doing the unexpected and new.
    That's what Disney was about.
    Motor Mania!

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Heh, I was just going to ask, does anyone miss Frank Wells as much as I do?
    That's a better-suited question.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Banned User

Where i want to live: Mickeys house|Where i do live:FAR AWAY FROM THERE D:

Quote Originally Posted by Spacoli View Post
    That's what Disney was about.

You know there is this thing called hope? maybe.. just maybe.. if anybody believed in disney anymore, they they might do something "disney standard"
    why would disney do ANYTHING if there are people who are just going to just criticize them for it, and say its crap.

Disney does not actually operate on the Tinkerbell principle.

Hey guys, I've been reading these threads for a while, but I finally got around to registering and this is my first post.

Does anyone else think that the BEST thing that could possible happen for Disney fans is for WWoHP to be phenomenally successful? It seems to be the consensus that Disney CAN outdo (or at least match) the work being done by Univeral, but haven't had to because they are content maintaining their #1 position, regardless of how slim the margin gets. WWoHP has the potential to force Disney's hand, requiring them to "wow" us, even if they don't have the drive to do so themselves. Just as the Yankees and the Red Sox force each other to maintain top-flight teams year in and year out, the maxim that "competition breeds quality" may very well hold true here.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wizards8507 View Post
    Hey guys, I've been reading these threads for a while, but I finally got around to registering and this is my first post.

Does anyone else think that the BEST thing that could possible happen for Disney fans is for WWoHP to be phenomenally successful? It seems to be the consensus that Disney CAN outdo (or at least match) the work being done by Univeral, but haven't had to because they are content maintaining their #1 position, regardless of how slim the margin gets. WWoHP has the potential to force Disney's hand, requiring them to "wow" us, even if they don't have the drive to do so themselves. Just as the Yankees and the Red Sox force each other to maintain top-flight teams year in and year out, the maxim that "competition breeds quality" may very well hold true here.
    When it comes to attendance, Islands of Adventure is a good bit behind Disney's Animal Kingdom. That means it is even further behind the other parks, especially the Magic Kingdom. The big key to making Harry Potter an issue for Disney is if people go to Universal first. If people are spending more money on merchandise there, especially with how well it seems the Harry Potter merchandise is selling, they will have less to spend at Walt Disney World. The other possible kink is in Disney's hotels and the Magic Express captivity plan. People may end up staying off property to go to Universal, and begin to question why they are paying so much more for Disney. Disney has been trying to tie more and more into packages.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    When it comes to attendance, Islands of Adventure is a good bit behind Disney's Animal Kingdom. That means it is even further behind the other parks, especially the Magic Kingdom. The big key to making Harry Potter an issue for Disney is if people go to Universal first. If people are spending more money on merchandise there, especially with how well it seems the Harry Potter merchandise is selling, they will have less to spend at Walt Disney World. The other possible kink is in Disney's hotels and the Magic Express captivity plan. People may end up staying off property to go to Universal, and begin to question why they are paying so much more for Disney. Disney has been trying to tie more and more into packages.
    I think the tendancy for a weeklong vacation for the average family might become 3-4 days in Disney and 2 days in Universal, rather than a full week in Disney. Unfortunately, I think Disney will take a "wait-and-see" approach, as they'll want to avoid a knee-jerk reaction amongst the initial hype of WWoHP.

• Banned User

Welcome to MiceChat, wizards.

I heard that WDW has already taken an attendance hit, as compared to this time last year, because of Pottermania. Considering that attendance was down last year due to the recession, this sudden drop should get Disney's attention. Will it shake them out of their complacency? I'm cautiously optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Welcome to MiceChat, wizards.

I heard that WDW has already taken an attendance hit, as compared to this time last year, because of Pottermania. Considering that attendance was down last year due to the recession, this sudden drop should get Disney's attention. Will it shake them out of their complacency? I'm cautiously optimistic.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that attendance through the recession held fairly well, but that spending per guest in both food and merchandise saw a sharp downturn. Maybe this was a result of people having vacations booked before the recession hit, or I could just be wrong.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The other possible kink is in Disney's hotels and the Magic Express captivity plan. People may end up staying off property to go to Universal, and begin to question why they are paying so much more for Disney. Disney has been trying to tie more and more into packages.
    Bingo. A combination of customer perception of declining quality, increasing price, tying packages together to hold the customer captive, and increasing quality and choice of the a la carte competition, is a potential threat to Disney.

Add the fact that Disney in general, and TDO in particular, suffers from chronic hubris and an entrenched management bureaucracy, which makes it difficult for them to accurately perceive changing trends and respond to them quickly, and you've got the potential for real problems.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The bummer is that Disney still has the stranglehold on the Orlando tourism market. People who come from far to visit Harry Potter World will ALSO stay to knock out Walt Disney World too.

It's the whole "when in Rome" mentality that they traveled this far, let's do it all. What Universal needs to continue to do is to keep building their parks better and better. Eventually, Disney, if they continue to slack around, will start to feel the dwindling tourists that will stay at Universal and visit Disney World.

But that's entirely hypothetical and not likely to happen. If it does, it's a long time from now and Disney knows it. Unfortunately.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Eventually, Disney, if they continue to slack around, will start to feel the dwindling tourists that will stay at Universal and visit Disney World.

But that's entirely hypothetical and not likely to happen. If it does, it's a long time from now and Disney knows it. Unfortunately.
    True, but then again there's the X factor of word-of-mouth and public perception. Enough positive blab about the overall increasing value of the competition, vs. the overall decreasing value of Disney, might push things to a tipping point sooner than it seems.

Of course Disney isn't going to crash and burn. But as a result of their own attitude, they're exposing themselves to the risk of losing part of their customers' vacation budgets now, and more in the future.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Just from what I've read so far, WWoHP seems like the realization of an elaborate imaginary world, whereas the New Fantasyland sounds more like a way to plug the various marketable characters (and their girl-demographic-centric merchandise) by giving them each their own personal meet-n'-greet house. I could be 100% wrong, but that's how it comes off to me.

Also, WWoHP is the first time I've read about a new theme park development and actually seen pictures that look like a Disney-level theme park, not just a few themed structures with a garishly painted steel roller coaster track arching over them. I wish Universal would build an IoA with a Harry Potter land out here in California, not just because I want to go to it, but because Disney can always use some (actual) competition .
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast