• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

:thumbdown: DHS Rock 'n' Glow Review/Rant/Philisophical Discussion

So I looked for people talking about this, and I didn't see it.

So you know a common discussion between Disneyland and Walt Disney World is Disneyland gets everything good?

Well I would like to say that on Friday, I had the pleasure of viewing Disney's Hollywood Studio's Rock 'n' Glow dance party, and I would like to say those of you thinking that DCA's Glow Fest is awesome, just wait till you see Rock 'n' Glow.

No, I am lying.

I've seen some photos of Glow Fest, and it looks garish and horrid. Especially in the day time. However, it is getting positive reponses, people are praising the bars, the dancers, the music. If it is a hit, well I am not the target audience, and I have opinions on it...but positive response is always good. But Rock 'n' Glow...

Now, I must have missed when this Rock 'n' Glow was announced (it wasn't with the first Nightastic! PR) and I am sure that this is in response to "well DCA is getting something with 'Glow'..." but let me just say, I've seen Disney throw together some really dumb & poor entertainment before, but this had to be one of the worst.

Maybe it was just too last minute. Maybe it was like "Celebrate Tonight!" at PI and Florida's team has no idea or no ability to mix night entertainment with a family friendly vibe, but this was so bad...I'm not sure how words can describe it. Basically they've set up the special events stage in front of the hat. There is a DJ, and a banner claiming it as part of Summer Nightastic. That's it, I really didn't see much of "Glow".

So a DJ plays songs (I didn't recognize them...sounded Radio Disney-esq) and a girl was on stage trying get the crowd excited. This entailed her yelling into a microphone while jumping up and down waving her hands side to side (beat not withstanding) trying to get the crowd to do the same.

And while I am cynical, and really not a fan of this kind of "event"...let me say this time I am not alone. The guests weren't really into it either. The crowd was small, they were basically standing around watching this girl jump, and most gave it an amused glance, and continued on their way. Few people stopped to watch while I surveyed the crowd (which I will admit was not that long, there is only so much I could tolerate).

So I'd like to open the floor to other people's opinions. Feel free to respond to my questions or to add your own:

• Have you seen it?
    • Am I way off in my opinion?
    • Does this seem like a knock-off of Glow Fest that was thrown together?
    • Do you locals think it is as bad as WDW's last entertainment flop (on the newly constructed Tomorrowland Stage) Stitch's Supersonic Celebration?
    • Is Florida's entertainment team so out of touch that they cannot create any small scale stage shows without a large budget and corporate help anymore?

These are just some of the thoughts going through my head right now. It has just got me thinking, Stitch's Supersonic Celebration. Celebrate Tonight! A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas. Rock 'n' Glow. They've all sucked. Is this management? Is this entertainment? Why can't they create entertainment anymore that isn't ridiculed? Aren't they supposed to be better than everyone else? These shows certainly don't make me feel that way, they feel like they are at a second rate local amusement park.

I guess my question in all this is what has happened to WDW's entertainment? With how quickly some of these shows were canceled early in their runs, obviously I am not alone in thinking "WTF is this supposed to be?"

Discuss.

• Banned User

Re: :thumbdown: DHS Rock 'n' Glow Review/Rant/Philisophical Discussion

I will get back to you on DCA's glow fest once I see it in mid July, but i will agree with you on one thing: YES, DLR does most everything MUCH BETTER than WDW. If not all. In the meantime.. you want high quality entertainment from Disney? Go to TDR. Just ask Travis!

• You have much to learn...

It took me all of 2 minutes to walk away from the DHS glowfest- Why anyone would think about trying to throw a dance party during the summer in WDW's 95 degree heat & 300% humidity is beyond me!

I still want to know what this "glow" effect on the Tower is- it looked the same to me- other than a little green light on one side. I didn't get the chance to ride this trip- but how can you have an all new drop sequence on a ride that supposedly has a randomized drop sequence to begin with??

Easy...it isn't random anymore. I didn't try it yet myself...but I've not heard anyone that hasn't liked it.

I hate the random program on ToT when you get a bad sequence, I don't like bouncing up and down just so it can be "random". When it comes down to it...ToT is a drop tower...and I expect to drop. The new program guarantees that (a full long drop) apparently.

I was at the studios a couple of weeks ago and I have to say, I enjoyed the party, but then i was there on the weekend and they had a live band playing as well as the DJ. They had a fairly large crowd (considering this was a night when they had two fantasmics). It was made up of all ages and everyone was dancing and having a great time with goofy, pluto, and chip and dale. the party started right at the end of the last american idol show and ran until park closing. I actually enjoy parties like this. They have had them seasonally at DL for years. Oh and btw I am probably one of the few who like a tommorrowland christmas, but i do wish that they would show the night before christmas show in the beauty and the beast theater during the holidays. The studios really has no holiday entertainment except the lights.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9ZbcQBDH04"]YouTube - Rock n' Glow Dance Party, Disney's Hollywood Studios Summer Nightastic 6/7/10[/ame]

From the looks of this video it seems to be a hit. I don't see these slim crowds you love to rant about. Maybe you could have taken a picture of these people who showed no interest. something to back up your claims because I believe people are showing an interest in this.

Fine it's not memorable and worthy of being a "classic" addition to the park but seriously, it's meant for fun and if you want to stand in the corner and cross your arms and shake your head at this horrid display of "fun" then so be it.

Move aside as me and my friends & family would dance and have loads of fun dancing to this music.

Now wait, maybe, just maybe you did experience a lack of crowd but I seriously doubt you stood right there the entire duration of the event, I'm sure people joined in and danced meaning that the crowds did get large at some point, as they always do.

I will also note that I've seen the street performers of Hollywood Studios out performing, sometimes to not so "big" crowds while some acts gather large groups. It's just random. That's what I expect with the parks. Random crowds. Random long lines at different times of the day.

If people want to stop and enjoy it they will. If they have something better to do in the park they will.

So basically I enjoy these dance parties. I already know this party dance thing won't be around every day. Now maybe if they did this every night of the year then maybe i'd have an issue with it but I know it's something that is temporary and soon to be taken away.

I don't hate Disney management for letting this exist. I just can't.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Here's an example of people getting into CLUB 626 at the Magic Kingdom over in Tomorrowland. When the group of gathered people want to dance and have fun, they will as seen below in the clip.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3EcRDY45vU]YouTube - club 626 dance party at WDW.mp4[/ame]

And then the same club 626 at a different day with a different set up people will have no "magic" at that point in time at that time of day or that specific hour of the day. It's random. I know that. I don't expect the dance party to be overwhelmed. But I know it is there to serve a purpose and that is to entertain those who CHOOSE to be entertained by this type of entertainment.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HdyCHDE7E0]YouTube - Magic Kingdom Summer Nightastic Dance Party[/ame]

You either want to take party in it or not. Now the Stitch show this MK platform was created for didn't connect and so they replaced it. But the structures are getting good use out of them for the time being. Will these MK structures be around forever? I doubt it. I don't expect them to be. But they do help entertain and I have no problem with the attempt to entertain those who want to be entertained by this type of entertainment.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Did someone say my name? :P

WDW is embarassing, enough said!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• All-American

I'm just worried that if it succeeds, it'll prolong the existence of the hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Maybe you could have taken a picture of these people who showed no interest. something to back up your claims because I believe people are showing an interest in this.
    Sorry I don't have my camera with me all the time, and I didn't this night. I don't have "proof".

But I want to ask are any of those videos you are showing me your own? Or did you just find them online? Just curious.

Move aside as me and my friends & family would dance and have loads of fun dancing to this music.
    You are more than welcome to. You'll note I never said you couldn't. I said that the guests certainly were not when I was watching.

Now wait, maybe, just maybe you did experience a lack of crowd
    I do believe that is what my report said.

but I seriously doubt you stood right there the entire duration of the event,
    I did not.

I will also note that I've seen the street performers of Hollywood Studios out performing, sometimes to not so "big" crowds while some acts gather large groups. It's just random. That's what I expect with the parks. Random crowds. Random long lines at different times of the day.
    That is correct, street performers do get different crowds. But I've come to expect Disney's pre-scheduled entertainment to draw crowds. Everything else does. So when I see a scheduled entertainment not draw a crowd, I form opinions. You want to understand how people react in a theme park, you observe them. I observed and reported on what I saw.

Will these MK structures be around forever? I doubt it. I don't expect them to be. But they do help entertain and I have no problem with the attempt to entertain those who want to be entertained by this type of entertainment.
    You do know I am referring to the temporary stage at the Studios right? I want to be clear, because I've not seen the Tomorrowland dance party. I'm sure I won't be a fan of it either, that's not the type of park entertainment I like. But it isn't FRONT AND CENTER in the park either.

I don't see these slim crowds you love to rant about.
    Really? I usually like to rant about crowds that are too big. Or things like unthemed dance parties that ruin exceptionally crafted themed areas and overall moods, or when guests misbehave in the parks. For slim crowds I think this is a first.
    Last edited by tloolgb; 06-24-2010 at 03:43 PM.

•   

I'm a CM who works around Rock 'n Glow quite frequently. The amount of people at RnG depends largely on the crowd level during the day. Some nights, there are lots of people. Last night (we closed at 7), not so many. RnG is a combination of a DJ and Mulch, Sweat, and Shears. They alternate about every half hour.

That is correct, street performers do get different crowds. But I've come to expect Disney's pre-scheduled entertainment to draw crowds. Everything else does. So when I see a scheduled entertainment not draw a crowd, I form opinions. You want to understand how people react in a theme park, you observe them. I observed and reported on what I saw.
    It is scheduled and it is on the times guides, but a lot of guests don't know about it. Most of them tend to use maps to plan their day, not the times guides.

Rock and Glow was much better when Mulch, Sweat, and Shears were performing as opposed to the DJ. I really don't have a problem with it. It looked like people were enjoying it as they were Club 626. While they aren't really my thing, they did appear to be working.

ToT is better IMO. The only complaint I have is what they did to the fifth dimension room. Overall, great new job sequence and great new effects. Even if the drop sequence is not random anymore.