Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Tonka's Skipper

What is going to be built on the Pleasure Island site?

Good Day to All,

We were down in WDW last november and of course the wonderful old pleasure Island had been shut down!.

I was wondering if anyone knows what is going to be built in its place?......I was hoping the Advanturers Club would return!.

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards........AKKK

Re: What is going to be built on the Pleasure Island site?

Disney's Official Response, from the WDW website:

As we're re-imagining this portion of Downtown Disney, we've shut down the nightclubs and are replacing them with an extraordinary mix of shopping, dining and other experiences for Guests of all ages. We're also currently considering a number of other unique concepts from around the globe. We look forward to sharing our progress over the coming months!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Based on experience? It looks like every mall in the United States, frankly, just waiting for new businesses to buy pads and open up. Of course, I'm sure Disney has massively raised the price, meaning that mom-n-pop eateries are not likely to pop in anytime soon.

The bad part is that to get from the Marketplace to West Side, one has to actuallly pass through this part of Downtown Disney and it looks bad, really bad. There is only one surfshop (Curl, I think?) and restaurant (Paradiso...something) in the middle of several empty doorways.

Being a shopaholic, I'm very sensitive to this!

So I hear ya-I want something to go in there too. Every time I went to Pleasure Island, I was impressed with the crowds and the curious-onlookers. There was business then, and even on weeknights.

Yeah, it was weird seeing 10 year olds out of bed at 2am, but I'm not their parents!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

RIP MANNEQUIN! The BEST night club in the south!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

More of the same ole, same ole to get your $$$$$
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

RIP Adventurers Club. I really miss it. Kungaloosh!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

With so many WDW parks that close early, Pleasure Island filled a void, especially with the Comedy Club, and the Adventures Club. And one of the Dance Clubs definitely should have stayed on! By getting rid of all these clubs, it was a big way in WDW downgrading their own entertainnment.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Why don't they have a cool dance club in the Contemporary, Adventurer's Club at DAK lodge, country bar at Wilderness Lodge and so forth?

• Iron-Clad Allie

I've heard talk that themed bathrooms are scheduled to be built at the newly dubbed Whizarding World On The Potter. Disney's hoping this will be the answer to that "other" attraction down the road.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-28-2010 at 12:38 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I've heard talk that themed bathrooms are scheduled to be built at the newly dubbed Whizarding World On The Potter. Disney's hoping this will be the answer to that "other" attraction down the road.
    *Hangs head in shame.*

Haha.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I still want to meet these "guests" that WDW surveyed that said they wanted more shopping & dining.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I still want to meet these "guests" that WDW surveyed that said they wanted more shopping & dining.
    I think a lot of us would have said we would like to see more shopping and dinning in Downtown Disney. The hope would be that more option would help move the Marketplace from being the focal point of the Downtown Disney experience. Every report about those surveys indicated that this is what they implied, and nobody was ever asked if they would like more shopping and dining replace the clubs. People were asked a question that most would assume as implying expansion, but their answers were used to justify replacement.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I think a lot of us would have said we would like to see more shopping and dinning in Downtown Disney.
    Not me. Though I'm still furious the Virgin Megastore is gone. If there was anywhere I could easily spend a lot of time (and a lot of money), it was at Virgin.

I hardly ever do full service restaurants. When I'm at DTD, 9 times out of 10 I eat at Earl of Sandwich (and then maybe get an ice cream later at Ghiradelli). But I always have the luxury of having my own car so I can go off property whenever I want. I can go over to the Crossroads or down the street on 535 to all the restaurants around there. I can do my shopping at the outlet mall nearby.

But... that's just me. I live 90 minutes from WDW, but when I go, it's only a few times a year. Though, in the last 2 years, outside of a few visits to DTD, I haven't set foot in any of the parks.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I still cry foul on the closure of all the PI clubs. We knew it was coming from a long way off. I remember back in 2004 all the talk around transforming PI, and then the change from it being a closed hard ticket space, to the tickets being taken at the club, then the removal of the west end stage...then the end of the fireworks at midnight... which i loved being able to watch from my apartment every night.

I just think that all the steam roller was moving and nothing was going to stop the disney part of the development, but it is when the equation began to rest solely on 3rd parties that the real monkey in the works began to rear it's head.

I remember back in 2004 when the talk about PI was that we needed 3rd parties to run the clubs so that we could see much faster turn over and development of the venues to keep the hip and fresh. It was more about making sure that the experience at PI was the club scene available... Then in 2007 it really changed to how the $%^& do we unload the responsibility of running these.

What a difference 3 years makes. Then with the crash in 2008 no one wants to invest the money that Disney is asking for those venues.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I still think that Disney should have kept The Comedy Warehouse, The Adventurer's Club, and Mannequins

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast