Best iPhone Wait Times App?

My wife and I will be going to WDW in October for the first time. In our "looking forward to vacation" planning, I'd like an app that shows me current reasonably accurate WDW wait times, just so we can see periodically what the current wait times are for attractions. So far, I've found Lines (associated with TouringPlans.com) and "WDW Wait Times".

Since I've never been to The World, I don't know which of these gives me the most accurate results. Have any of you used on or both of these, and if so, which is more accurate? Also, are there any others that are better? I'm more interested in accuracy than user interface or any other bells & whistles.

Thanks!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Best iPhone Wait Times App?

I have the free version of WDW Wait Times, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'll try it out when I'm there at the end of the month.

Has no one else used a wait times app for WDW?
    Last edited by Belgarion42; 07-12-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Typo

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

RideHopper is good...If I remember correctly.

• I love Disney

lines its 9 dollars for a year subscription http://www.touringplans.com/tp2/UG2_...php?PageID=236
    Come join me and my co-hosts to learn all the latest news about the amusement park industry and disney LIVE! every Tuesday at 7:30 est time on http://amusementradio.com/
    or listen to all are shows at http://www.coastineastpodcast.com/
    Remember to Sit Down, Strap In, and Coast On

• MiceAge Columnist

I've not tried Lines. The TouringPlans people seem to be good folks - I've had good interactions with them - but it doesn't match my philosophy or wallet to pay for app subscriptions.

The free one Aimster mentions is right about 70-90% of the time (your luck will vary). I use it almost every weekend.

A bulletproof fastpass strategy will matter much, MUCH more than a wait times app, guaranteed. Using good FP maximization and the free app is basically what this "twice per week" family does
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Imagineer View Post
    lines its 9 dollars for a year subscription Lines — The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World
    So the Estimated Wait Times there are usually pretty accurate. It throws me off when I see those EWT's, but I look at submitted wait times and they're way different.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    I've not tried Lines. The TouringPlans people seem to be good folks - I've had good interactions with them - but it doesn't match my philosophy or wallet to pay for app subscriptions.

The free one Aimster mentions is right about 70-90% of the time (your luck will vary). I use it almost every weekend.

A bulletproof fastpass strategy will matter much, MUCH more than a wait times app, guaranteed. Using good FP maximization and the free app is basically what this "twice per week" family does
    Thanks, Kevin. As a WDW super-regular, this helps (as does all of the feedback I've received so far).

I think I'll use the apps I have (I added RideHopper Lite yesterday) to get a general idea of wait times & crowd levels, and start working on developing that "bulletproof FP strategy". Any suggestions on what to keep in mind for that?

Thank you, all.

• Happy Haunt

I was at WDW in June and had 3 free wait time apps. I did check them out occasionally but like Kevin said it's all about the FPs. I had a FP plan and then fit in everything else around that. Sometimes they were accurate and sometimes they were way off. It's hard because even if a bunch of people are in the same park using a wait time app and submitting ride times there are so many apps out there it's hard for everything to be current.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I have an iPhone full of different Disney World and Disneyland apps. They don't really seem to be of any assistance in making my trip any better. Honestly, the trap of trying to run from one end of the park to another in search of a lower wait time is a terrible strategy.

We had a team in our last Gumball Rally who were the owners of a wait time app. They didn't even score in the top 20 teams. Mainly because their constant running around forced them to waste time in transit from ride to ride.

For the most part, you are far better off to just plan in advance which rides are important to you, use Fastpass, and follow the classic Disney parks maximization strategies:

- Arrive as early as possible.
    - Visit popular attractions as soon as the park opens
    - Use fastpass
    - Get your next fastpass the moment your window opens
    - Parades and Fireworks are great times to visit popular attractions as lines will be a bit shorter.
    - Avoid whatever park has early extra magic hour (it will be the most busy park for the rest of the day).

Just a few tips, I'm sure that the MiceChatters have many more.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceAge Columnist

Unfortunately, the FP system tips in favor of people who know the parks the best (another reason to wish Disney would ditch it).

A local can tell you which FPs save you the MOST time (splash) or the LEAST time (pooh) and which can be skipped entirely (anything movie based). Obviously, there's a spectrum in between of what's needed.

A truly advanced user will rephrase that as "what's needed TODAY" given these crowd levels. That's how the free app can help. If you know that Space is 35 mins and Thunder is 55 minutes, you can choose to adjust your FP strategy. You'll want flexibility.

Frankly, the only way to truly maximize is to send a runner off to collect FPs as soon as you can. They never (and I mean never) complain about late returns to me, so I advise people to not actually USE any FP tickets until mid afternoon at earliest. Fold that little nugget into your FP and standy strategy and you've got a different touring plan.

There's no way a one-time visitor would know all of this.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather