Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Quick 4th July TR.

Drove into WDW around 7pm. Signs on the way in indicated that the MK was closed due to capacity. Cars entering the property were being directed to EPCOT's parking lot. This is where I parked. Then on a whim decided to take the monorail to the TTC to watch the pyro from the Poly Beach. Some managers and signs were in place at the entrance of the EPCOT monorail station, discouraging guests from going to the MK because the park was "closed to capacity and probably closed to guests". Well.. I had no problems making it all the way to the MK. Entered the park juts fine. So no, the park was not closed as they had mentioned. This is part of the same tactic, year after year, to lie to guests in hopes they will ddeviate the traffic to other parks.. Management has been doing this for decades.
    Now granted, the MK was very crowded. At 7:45pm, thousands of guests were already sitting down all over Town Square, up both sides of Main Street and all over the hub and respective bridges to Adventureland and Tomorrowland. To put it mildly.. it was a MAD HOUSE. There was a small batallion of Cms doing the best they could to manage crowds and for the most part they were doing an ok job, especially on Main Street where they basically became a human barricade dividing pedestrian traffic so people could flow in either direction at the same time. Other areas, CMs were creating the clutter by trying to redirect people to other areas where they did not want to go. That caused a few problems and some tension among some guests and CMs.

By 8:25pm, the hub area was intransitable. CMs in Adventureland and Liberty Square were trying their best to have people go away from that area. Me? I am smarter than that and found loopholes in the crowd control procedures, so I expeditiously made my way to the Crystal Palace, then thru the near empty Emporium and out the park, where quickly, I took the monorail to the TTC and found my way to the Poly Beach, with 10 minutes to spare before the pyro show started.

The crowd at the MK was HUGE, similar to a regular day crowd at Tokyo Disneyland, only difference is.. Tokyo is a much more expansive park with much more staffing for crowd control and can handle the crowds more efficiently, and with plenty of space to pack more of them. At the MK, no such luck. Seems to me the 'small' size of the Mk, aggraviated by the obesity problem americans have and the fact that people from age 1 to 100 are occupying even more space with those overly sized strollers and scooter chairs.. helps create more clutter and traffic movement gridlock. I believe that.. if you take out the scooters and strollers, there would be more room for additional guests!!!

Anyways... the 4th of July show started right at 9pm. Again, those of us who saw the show from the Poly beach got to hear very little of the music that went along with the show.. but seemed to me it was the same music they used at DLR as well.. the one that begins with native american music and chanting? The show itself was ok, but compared to previous years.. I found it a bit skimpy on the perimeter pyro. It just didn't have the same *BOOM* all throughout like in previous editions of the 4th of July Fantasy in the Sky shows. All in all, still a very decent show, and is proof that when it comes to big firework shows, WDW is the best among the 5 Disney Resorts worldwide.

After the show, many of us ran over to the TTC, hopped on the monorail to EPCOT (tonight, I rode the TRON mono) and arrived at EPCOT around 9:30pm.. just in time for a light rain to start falling. Took my space for the 10pm Reflections show (a show that badly needs to go or at least badly needs major upgrades to it's many technical components, like the old fashion static fountains and boring revolving TV show.) From my spot, I could see DHS' 4th of july fireworks, which looked pretty decent, even if the winds out of the south caused a lot of the show to be blocked from view due to the smoke, same problem those who were in the north (Future World) side of the lagoon had to deal with during EPCOT's show.. smoke blackout.

The DHS show ended promptly at 9:55pm and EPCOT's show started at 10pm sharp as a light rain shower came down and continued to come down during the entire show.. After sitting thru the same decade old Reflections show, the special ending came. It was as always.. very explosive, with a nice tribute and pyro segment released from behind the American Adventure. Again, this show is not as big as in previous years when there was perimeter pyro all around the World Showcase lagoon but still, a very loud and explosive finale that got the crowd roaring in excitement. The only problem was.. like at DHS, it was the heavy smoke, a combination of the extra pyro and also the high humidity in the air, which makes smoke think. That created some challenges and somewhat obscured the show for those of us in the north side of the lagoon.

Even with the rain and the heavy smoke, it was an enjoyable evening at WDW, and everyone came home happy
    Anyways.. even with all the "technical" problems
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 07-04-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Re: Quick 4th July TR.

Thanks for the TR, Mr TDLFAN!

Great to hear you and yours had a good time!

Regarding the MK closing: "Back in the day," We were always told that the MK NEVER closes; just the parking lot.

I would be interested to hear if anyone on the board had ever been turned away from the turnstiles.

How is that handled at TDL? Do they ever stop admitting guests due to capacity limits?
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

• Banned User

Yes, once TDL closes due to capacity, they do not admit anyone into the park, except for those guests who have pre-purchased dated tickets for that specific date. Even APrs are not allowed to enter once the park closes due to capacity.
    Many guests who arrive at TDL when the park closes, will choose to wait for hours outside, or go to TDS (if their ticket allows them to) or hang out at Ikspiari until the park re-opens.. However, in train stations in the vecinity of Tokyo DL.. as far away as Yokohama and Funabashi I am told.. signs go up telling train travellers that the park is closed, so they don't waste their time traveling there if they can't get in. But the park does close and that has happened to me about 3 times in the past 20 yrs.

As for today.. the entire back section of the MK parking lot was *empty*, and no, the lot was not closed and neither was the park. Lies.. lies.. from management.

Chandu.. Hmm.. try ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Chandu.. Hmm.. try ebay.
    <expletive deleted>! With all their wonderful exclusives, it's a shame they don't have an online store for us occidentals with itchy credit cards.

• Banned User

Oh well.
    If you want to tickle your itchy credit card some more, feel free to check out my other two pictorial trip reports from HKDL and TDR, with some merchandise photos in them.. those are in the HKDL and TDR sections of Micechat, just a few clicks away.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

*snuggles her Chandu plushie*

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Oh well.
    If you want to tickle your itchy credit card some more, feel free to check out my other two pictorial trip reports from HKDL and TDR, with some merchandise photos in them.. those are in the HKDL and TDR sections of Micechat, just a few clicks away.
    Been there, done that. And while I'd never miss one of your TRs, it doesn't help to see all the goodies that I can't have until I get out there. I swear, when I do make it out there I'm packing one change of clothes yet bring as many suitcases I can manage.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    *snuggles her Chandu plushie*
    Really, Aimster? Really? Do you enjoy my pain?

Seriously though, did you get yours on a visit? Or did you find one online? I tried Ebay as Mr. T suggested but no relevant hits unfortunately.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by RobotWolf View Post
    Really, Aimster? Really? Do you enjoy my pain?

Seriously though, did you get yours on a visit? Or did you find one online? I tried Ebay as Mr. T suggested but no relevant hits unfortunately.
    Hehehehehehe!!!

A friend of mine who went to TDS brought it back for me.

Actually, the parks close in phases. MK was in Phase 2 from 5:45 on. In Phase 2, admission is limited to passholders, Guests with hoppers coming from another park, resort guests, guests with base tickets re-entering the park that day, and guests with dining or Bibbidi Bobbidi/Pirates League reservations.

• World Traveler

Thanks for the TR! Glad you had a happy ending

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    Thanks for the TR! Glad you had a happy ending
    I *always* have happy endings Mikey which reminds me.. it was lovely to see you during gay Day at the MK last month.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Rachael View Post
    Actually, the parks close in phases. MK was in Phase 2 from 5:45 on. In Phase 2, admission is limited to passholders, Guests with hoppers coming from another park, resort guests, guests with base tickets re-entering the park that day, and guests with dining or Bibbidi Bobbidi/Pirates League reservations.
    I have to admit, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If people are being allowed into the park, then THE PARK IS OPENED, period. I saw no one being turned down at the gate. Over in TDL, when the park closes, only guests with DATED tickets for that day or those who are re-entering the park on the same day, are admitted. Everyone else, be an APer, have an open date ticket or any other media, is made to wait outside the gates until the park gates reopen. Now, THAT is a park that is truly limited when "closed".
    Seems to me no one at the MK gates were enforcing any kind of closure/restriction on any ticket media or guest "type".

• jonyyeh

I watched the Celebrate America fireworks show on the 3rd inside the Magic Kingdom, and yep, it was crazy. I heard that the Poly Beach had a better view, but I wanted to be able to hear the music and I was going to be in the Magic Kingdom anyway. Although I did have a obstructed view in front of the castle in the hub area near Tomorrowland, the fireworks were nice, and certainly WDW does it right (of course, WDW doesn't have the neighbors that Disneyland has). Now, I will have to watch the Summer Nightastic fireworks show again, which is nice in terms of the fireworks, but I think Magical at Disneyland is much better in terms of music and story.

I was at the IllumiNations showing at the 4th. It was certainly nice to see the fireworks from DHS before the show. Also, before DHS had its fireworks, there were also fireworks coming from what appeared to be the Downtown Disney resort area. I couldn't find anything listing a Downtown Disney fireworks show around 9:15ish, so it may have been another area, but I could see it from World Showcase.

Yep, there was too much smoke in the air, as I was in the Port of Entry shop area near the front of the closed off stage area. The 4th of July finale was great, but the smoke kind of killed a bit of the excitement.

thanks for the report!

does anyone know if the fireworks at DHS was a return of sorcerery in the sky?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    thanks for the report!

does anyone know if the fireworks at DHS was a return of sorcerery in the sky?
    It did not appear to be but the show looked expansive all throughout from my spot at EPCOT, just like the Fantasia finale of Sorcery, which I still miss greatly. I did not find video from this year's DHS 4th of july pyro, but THIS video below is an edited view of what we saw from the Polynesian Beach area, including the explosive finale:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm-wYLsSH0Y]YouTube - Walt Disney World's July 4th fireworks 2010[/ame]

And here is the grand 4th of July 2010 finale at EPCOT:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q32c9cPlfQ]YouTube - Epcot Fourth of July Fireworks 2010[/ame]

Enjoy kids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast