Rainy day experience?

My wife and I just purchased our first annual passes last week when we went on our honeymoon and we are on our way back to the park today. The weather looks like it's going to rain. I am excited about this because I've always heard that the park is almost empty after it rains. Is this true? Have you guys had any good or bad experiences on rainy days at the park?
    Thanks,
    Joshua

• Future Imagineer

Re: Rainy day experience?

My family and I have been one week when it did nothing but rain. There was a hurricane on the east coast, and it brought a lot of rain and wind. It was great though, because it cooled everything off. Crowds were still in the park (it was the second week of June) but the rain and overcast was nice. You don't really have to worry about the rain too much since most everything is indoors. The only thing I would say is wear flip flops or something, because my family members who wore tennis shoes ended up getting blisters from their soggy shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by STEAMBOAT JOSHIE View Post
    My wife and I just purchased our first annual passes last week when we went on our honeymoon and we are on our way back to the park today. The weather looks like it's going to rain. I am excited about this because I've always heard that the park is almost empty after it rains. Is this true? Have you guys had any good or bad experiences on rainy days at the park?
    Thanks,
    Joshua
    Hmm, hate to burst your bubble, but I hate it when it rains at the parks. No matter how well you cover up with ponchos or whatever, you get soaked, especially your feet, and your stuff. My friend's cell phone got ruined on our last trip, and she was trying to cover it but it still got wet under the rain gear. Stores and whatever little spots there are with an overhang get packed with people real quick.

And honestly, my experience has not been that the park empties out. Everybody there paid good money and wants to stay and stick it out just like you do!

Epcot is best on a rainy day, it's easier to stay indoors

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

We spent a couple of weeks there in late November. There was a big storm with hurricane-force winds and a lot of rain. While it was raining, there really were a lot fewer people. It seems many just high-tailed it back to their hotels. When the rain finally stopped, the crowds were back but not quite as heavily for the rest of the day.
    There are rain ponchos for sale all over WDW, just ask anywhere. We bought one to put over the stroller and keep the kid dry, but 'roughed it' ourselves.

• Seasick

I imagine rain has less of an effect on crowds in Florida, where more people are likely to be tourists, and less willing to just come back another day.

I would suggest always carrying ziploc bags. They'll protect your valuables on water rides, and will be handy to have if it rains.

Whenever possible, spare socks are wonderful to have. When it stops raining, your shirts will dry, your shorts will dry, but your socks won't. Putting on a dry pair will make continuing with your day a lot more enjoyable.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I imagine rain has less of an effect on crowds in Florida, where more people are likely to be tourists, and less willing to just come back another day.

I would suggest always carrying ziploc bags. They'll protect your valuables on water rides, and will be handy to have if it rains.

Whenever possible, spare socks are wonderful to have. When it stops raining, your shirts will dry, your shorts will dry, but your socks won't. Putting on a dry pair will make continuing with your day a lot more enjoyable.

Oh, Disneygeek, I love your picture with the Skyway going through the Matterhorn! (sighs wistfully)

• Mostly Harmless.

I've always found that after a good rain it's great. Lightning can be a pain though.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Shubisha

Most of the parks don't get too empty because of the rain in Florida. Possibly Future World is effected the most because everyone's hiding out under the exit to the gift shops from the E tickets like Mission Space and scared to walk back out again. :P Otherwise, Magic Kingdom especially, people stick around. The exception is late at night after fireworks, rain can clear out much of the crowd for the 2nd night parade most of the time.

Hey guys! We just returned from the Magic Kingdom. The rain and clouds really did cool everything off but definitely didn't seem like it made people leave. It felt like there were more people there today than there were last week when we went. Thank you guys for all of the feedback.
    Thanks again,
    Joshua