Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Disney aficionado

Backlot Tour: What Happened?

I road the backlot tour in 2002 and I liked it at the time. For the most part, people seem to dislike this attraction though. Someone even went as far as saying, "They neutered it." What exactly did the neuter. What is the whole experience like now a days as compared to in 2002? What could make it better?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Backlot Tour: What Happened?

they hacked like 80% of it out.

It used to be three seperate phases... including moving through working studio facilities.

Now you have the pearl harbor effects stage... which hasn't seen any real updates since god knows when... you ride through what used to be the costuming shops.. do catastrophe canyon.. which too.. has seen no real changes... then you ride past some dilapidated props.

You no longer see the streets of america as a movie set... the entire backlot area was removed for lights motors action...

It's trying to take you through a backlot tour of something that no longer is a studio. It's a albatross around the park's neck.

It needs to go all together so the charade can stop.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Flynnibus summed it up quite nicely. Basically the way I describe it is it was neutered 3 times.

Neuter #1: In the early 2000's the studio closed and now you tour the backlot of a theme park and former movie studio. Not nearly as exciting as a current movie studio, but still somewhat interesting.

Neuter #2: In 2003 the entire backlot section was ripped away in favor of Lights, Motors, Action. Well now we're touring half of a former movie studio, cool, I guess? The attraction is essentially on life support at this point but still worth doing for a first time visitor.

Neuter #3 (aka the final nail in the coffin): Upon returning from refurb in 2008 the real life guides are removed and the spiel is automated. Taking out the last touch of anything interesting with the attraction. Now Guests can visit half of a former movie studio with no live tour guide. At this point, it has become an unbearable waste of time.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

If they are going to keep the tour, they should at least drop the lie that there are still any working studios. The only part of the park that is still used for continued production is the radio broadcasting booth.

• Not a Crook

The only things keeping the "Tour" around are the Effects tank and Catastrophe Canyon, both of which are mildly entertaining, but definitely not enough to be their own attractions. Since there's no longer a working studio, I'd like to see Catastrophe Canyon given some new elements, and a couple more set piece "effects" experiences built before it. Maybe two more disaster sequences to ride through or some such. That way they could call it a special effects experience, drop the studio tour malarkey, and they can market it as a "new" attraction.

Oh, and please change out the tank tour theming to the new Pirates movie or something. It's bad enough it still reflects a 9 year old movie, but the fact that it's also considered one of the worst movies of all time just makes it laughable.
    Last edited by Disney Romantic; 07-19-2010 at 06:33 AM.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Blog Entries

That's exactly what I've been begging to see happen. Change it from a backlot tour and make it the Hollywood Studios Special Effects Tour or something like that. My plan would be as follows:

1. Keep the water tank special effects but rip out all of the Titanic stuff and just make it a generic water effects show. If it has to keep a movie tie in, change the ship to the Black Pearl and make it a Pirates special effects show.

2. Move on to the tour but add two more special effect drive through scenes. Maybe have one scene where we drive through a typhoon complete with tidal wave and another where we enter a building that looks like a city scene and see an alien invasion or something like that. Make those special effect stops be fairly amazing however.

Along the way you could keep the more interesting props along with narration for what movies they were used in. It still wouldn't be as good as the original 2 hour tour that opened with the studio, but it would be something worth visiting.

Oh yeah, and bring back the live tour guides.

• Disney aficionado

Well seems like I got there right before Neuter 2. When they got rid of "half of it" in 2003 what all did they get rid of? I am seeing if I can remember seeing that half. How long does the tour take now a days? Is it still popular as it was in the early 2000's?

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

In addition to being themed to a terrible, terrible movie, the tank scene is also very jokey, very laugh-at-your-fellow-tourists having fun scene that is based on the attack on Pearl Harbor (OK, based on a movie based on the attack of Pearl Harbor). Anyone else find this kind of offensive?

• Not a Crook

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    In addition to being themed to a terrible, terrible movie, the tank scene is also very jokey, very laugh-at-your-fellow-tourists having fun scene that is based on the attack on Pearl Harbor (OK, based on a movie based on the attack of Pearl Harbor). Anyone else find this kind of offensive?
    If Pearl Harbor had been a dramatic, Oscar winning masterpiece like Saving Private Ryan, I might find it a little distasteful. But Pearl Harbor the movie is such a joke, and is emphasized so much in the queue (Curse you Disney for forcing me to watch parts of that movie), that it neuters the offensiveness. I think after watching Pearl Harbor, your brain is so numb they could say or do anything horrible and you really wouldn't notice.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

• Golden State of Mind

Residential Street was demolished.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Not a Crook

Also, going way back in time to the earliest incarnations of the Tour, was the on-foot tour of working studios part of the overall Backlot Tour, or a separate attraction? It's been so long now I can't remember, I just have vague memories of looking down into sets for the mini-series From the Earth to the Moon.

• Minion

I think it was separate. When I saw it in 1997, they had sets and props from 101 Dalmations there. A CM even let me go right up to a miniature of her house and photograph it on the inside.

The only bit of the backlot tour I remember - other than the burning tanker bit - was seeing the house from Golden Girls.

• Disney aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Residential Street was demolished.
    What all was on residential street?

I remember the burning tanker bit too. That's really about it haha.

• Minion

All I remember is the Golden Girls house, and the house across the street that was from a Golden Girls spin-off. Can't even remember the name of the show, but the dad was a dentist, and had two adult daughters. I think the dad used to be on the old show "Soap" with Billy Crystal.... Dang it! What was that show???

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ecdlanddude View Post
    Basically the way I describe it is it was neutered 3 times.
    Neuter #3 (aka the final nail in the coffin): Upon returning from refurb in 2008 the real life guides are removed and the spiel is automated. Taking out the last touch of anything interesting with the attraction. Now Guests can visit half of a former movie studio with no live tour guide. At this point, it has become an unbearable waste of time.
    but the "best" part is - THERE IS STILL A CM ON THE RIDE!! That's right... they sit there and stare at the audience instead of spieling. So Disney STILL has to pay for a CM to sit there, when it would cost them NOTHING to have that CM talk.

The second I saw that, it was over for me I still really liked the ride, I was even part of the show a few years ago, but that was the final straw for me
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast