Disney Institute...what happened?

I know that it has been gone for awhile, but can someone out there tell me what happened to the Disney Institute? I went for five days in the Summer of 1996 and had a really good time. When I vacationed in 2000...it was gone. Great classes...good food...nice room...took a really fun canoe trip around the canals of DW. Just wondering.

• Banned User

Re: Disney Institute...what happened?

your one of the minorities who liked it.. really when people went to WDW they didn't want to learn.. they wanted to have fun at parks and resorts...

they shut it down after it lost to much money.... and converted half the project into a disney vacation club.. and the other half is sitting wanting to get fixed up and used... but currently not able to.

The Disney institute is still active. Many of the programs that were available at the Disney Institute are still around, but today it is more a convention business. Conventions were the most people that utilized the classes, so now the classes are done and they are customized to each convention group and held in the various convention locations. The Disney Institute may no longer have a resort of their own now, but the Disney Instutute programs are still alive and well.

Thanks...I had no problem wanting to learn. After having been to the parks so many times, it was nice to see an insiders view of how things work. Plus, it really wasn't much of a 'work situation'. during the heat of the day (like I said it was the summer when I went) it was better to take the classes than suffer the long lines and heat of the park. Nothing wrong with being in the minority...

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I thought it was cool when we went in May of 2000. At that point, it WAS still open because that's where we stayed. I took the some of the animation and computer animations classes they had to offer and they were awesome. Sad to hear they closed it down, it was a neat hotel property.

• Minion

My son and I took a couple of classes. Computer animation and clay animation. I didn't want to take them, but because of my son's age, I had to go with him, he was 13. I ended up having a lot of fun, especially in the clay animation class. It turned out to be just me, my son and the instructor. We had about 3 hours of private instruction! I really loved the atmosphere of the institute, and I'm glad I was able to attend at least once.

funny...I had a radio class with only three people in it. The woman who was part of our group was from england and she said that he family spent two weeks a year at WDW. Her mother enrolled her in the program because she had run out of things to do at WDW (I guess two weeks is really a long time...even in WDW!) One thing I really liked was the spa...I remember being told that the 96 olympic basketball team practiced at the institute before they went to Atlanta. Also, if you stayed at the resort you got a golf cart to use to get around the property...I was always heading to Downtown Disney. Man...now that I think about it...it is really sad others never caught on to it.