Red Face Working at Walt Disney World

I am an older adult with a 30 year ambition to work at Walt Disney World. I would qualify for many areas, as I have much experience in sales, retail, theatre directing, dance, costuming, and customer service. I have applied online and am playing the waiting game to hear from casting. They have called me about a reservation agent position, and I am waiting for a follow up interview in person. However, I really want to wrk in the park and can be ready to move from PA to Kissimmee in 2 to 3 weeks. With all that said....any tips on how to get my foot in the door. I really really want this and could be a great fit!
    Thanks

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: Working at Walt Disney World

Im interested to see what people post here. I work in a hotel...with similar future ambitions of working at WDW. I'm aiming for Pop Century.

Good luck...hope your dream comes true!

Thank you! And best of luck to you also.

• Banned User

I too had an ambition to work at WDW years ago, and when I got hired, I was in 7th heaven. How quickly reality set in.. not only did they make it difficult to move up the ladder, they way they promoted people were based on whether you had a godfather in the higher offices, or whether you were white or a moniorty. Needless to say, the pay was (and continues to be) lousy lousy lousy. I also think that anyone who is quick to move to Florida for a job at Disney, especially ghetto Kissimmee, is out of their mind.

Please don't let your love for Disney blind you. Working there is not all that great and they do not care what you bring into the company. They will only offer you a position where they need a body to fill it. Many of my so-called "professional" friends with college degrees.. were only offered housekeeping and custodial jobs, with the promise of moving up. That never happened and they quickly grew disappointed and ended up leaving FL altogether. I urge you not to make the same mistake. of course, if you are of white decent, you may have an edge with this company.. but other than that, it's not worth it.

It all depends on what you are willing to do to make it through. A good way to start is to accept any job just to get your foot in the door, and then look around the company and see if any job really interests you. There are hundreds of different job classifications with really good pay and benefits. But then again, there is a lot of compeition for those jobs. Then they are the off-the-street jobs with no background required that pay just above minimum wage. It is a lot of hard work to get noticed and progress and move up the ladder. It just takes hard work and dedication.

Some people move quickly while others just stay in the same old job. A lot of people who love their job and make great friends and able to network throughout the company can be sucessful.

Most people don't want to start at the bottom and work their way up. Especially if it has to start with low pay. A lot of people with college degrees think they should in the middle or near the top just because they have an unrelated college degree with no experience. I have known some that think they should start at a manager position and even skip being a supervisor.

A lot of people mainly CP or International are there to party and have a good time. So they call in sick a lot and have attendance issues and don't take their jobs serious at all.

Mainly, you get out of it what you put in to it. You may have to make some sacrifices, but it will be worth it in the end.

• Banned User

Bottom line is.. Disney is lucky to have lots of people who love the brand enough to make sacrifices to work there, but Disney hardly ever comes up giving back a truly satisfying work to place. Again, this is where the love for Disney will dictate whether this is a good move or not. Frankly, I am glad I left all those years ago, and found contentment an a career that allows me to enjoy Disney, from the outside.

Thank you for all the advice. You see, I have been a dance teacher/owner for over 40 yrs., and a theatre director for 20. During those 40 yrs. I have gained a lot of sales, retail and mgmnt. exp. that would fit wonderfully. My husband is retired and we don't need a big income. Just want to work at a job that I don't have to take home with me. I have wanted to be part of the Disney magic experience for a long time, and I am willing to take the job at attractions or merchandising to get in. It's how to even get into those jobs that I need a tip or two. SInce Disney no longer gives an interview to walkins, and it's all done on line, how do you get noticed? I suppose I would be one of those older (60) people who just love what they are doing. I am not as worried about moving up the ladder as I am getting in. I can't imagine it being all that bad working there. It has to be better than a department store (last job was a cosmetic manager).
    So how about it? Any more tips? I am going there to vacation in 12 days.
    Thanks again...I really appreciate your advice!